Is the calories burned accurate?

Options
I was logging my bike ride to and from work (3.22 km and it takes me about 10 min with all the red lights and the long uphill.)
MFP says I burn 675 calories, one way. That sounds like a lot to me?
What would be the more correct amount? Somewhere around 150?

Thanks for your help! :smile:

Replies

• strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Not imo.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    That seems excessively high for a 10 minute bike ride - I'd think even 150 would be high for such a small amount of exercise.
  • mamaze
    mamaze Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    That seems excessively high for a 10 minute bike ride - I'd think even 150 would be high for such a small amount of exercise.

What would you think is accurate then? There's a long uphill so its a good burn on my legs.. but I'm not good with how much what burns, just felt that the counter was really off.
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    You might want to check what your weight is recorded as. Your ticker says you have 622 kg to go...isn't that somewhere in the vicinity of 1300 pounds? I'm guessing it thinks you weigh about 600 times what you do weigh, which is why your burn is so far off.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    mamaze wrote: »
    I was logging my bike ride to and from work (3.22 km and it takes me about 10 min with all the red lights and the long uphill.)
    MFP says I burn 675 calories, one way. That sounds like a lot to me?
    What would be the more correct amount? Somewhere around 150?

Thanks for your help! :smile:

Is your weight set correctly on your profile? I'm asking because your ticker says you have 622 kg to go which is like 1368.4 lbs. If your weight isn't correct in your profile, then it won't give you the correct calories for workouts.

Anyway, MFP gives me 81 calories for a 12 mph bike ride that lasted 10 mins.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Every computer, which includes MFP, miscalculates calories burned.
    Heart-rate monitors do pretty well.
    If you're just eating at your calorie goal, don't "eat back" the calories you've burned, it doesn't matter if the count
    is accurate or not. My doctor (endocrinologist specializing in weight issues) and dietitian told me to ignore calories
    from exercise, just eat at my goal, and when I do that I lose weight easily.
    If you're really hungry at the end of the day once in a while, have maybe 1/3 - 1/2 of that estimate as a snack.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    weird_me2 wrote:
    check what your weight is recorded as. Your ticker says you have 622 kg to go.
    Oh, definitely this.