Options
biglion80
biglion80 Posts: 11 Member
im diabetic and need to lose weight new to the site so

Replies

• rubybaby2
    rubybaby2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    ive just been diagnosed type 2 diabetes so starting my diet/healthy eating journey again!!!!
  • truelight_photo_craig
    truelight_photo_craig Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    A word of advice from a long time diabetic...Steer clear of the fads and gimmicks that promise to "cure" or "reverse" diabetes. There is no such thing. I have achieved control by losing 100+ pounds, making smart choices about food (use your meter A LOT), and exercise. Our goal is to control. Send me a friend request and I'd be happy to talk to anyone about what worked for me. God bless!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I was diagnosed T2Dm 17 months ago with an a1c of 7.3. I have reduced my a1c so it is consistently in the 5.3-5.4 range and I am off all meds for it. I have lost 111 lb. so far (40 more to go) and really pay attention to my macronutrients so I stay under the 180 g. of carbs my doctor (a diabetes educator) instructed me to do. Yours may suggest something different for you so follow their instructions.

The best advice I was given when I first started was to remember that you "are not making a big change in your life, you are making a series of small changes" Start with changing one thing, then move to the next, and the next. It can be very overwhelming at the beginning so focus on one thing at a time until it becomes ingrained, then go on to another. Soon you will realize that your life has changed drastically and you are a healthier and more fit person!

There is a T2Dm group you should check out: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1772-type-2-diabetes-support-group
  • biglion80
    Options
    A word of advice from a long time diabetic...Steer clear of the fads and gimmicks that promise to "cure" or "reverse" diabetes. There is no such thing. I have achieved control by losing 100+ pounds, making smart choices about food (use your meter A LOT), and exercise. Our goal is to control. Send me a friend request and I'd be happy to talk to anyone about what worked for me. God bless!

hey its been few days since i been on here and thanks i will send friend request
  • biglion80
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Welcome! I was diagnosed T2Dm 17 months ago with an a1c of 7.3. I have reduced my a1c so it is consistently in the 5.3-5.4 range and I am off all meds for it. I have lost 111 lb. so far (40 more to go) and really pay attention to my macronutrients so I stay under the 180 g. of carbs my doctor (a diabetes educator) instructed me to do. Yours may suggest something different for you so follow their instructions.

The best advice I was given when I first started was to remember that you "are not making a big change in your life, you are making a series of small changes" Start with changing one thing, then move to the next, and the next. It can be very overwhelming at the beginning so focus on one thing at a time until it becomes ingrained, then go on to another. Soon you will realize that your life has changed drastically and you are a healthier and more fit person!

There is a T2Dm group you should check out: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1772-type-2-diabetes-support-group

Thanks i will check out that link
  • biglion80
    Options
    rubybaby2 wrote: »
    ive just been diagnosed type 2 diabetes so starting my diet/healthy eating journey again!!!!

yea its goin to be a journey for you it was for me also when it happen to me 4 years ago
  • Sho0gy_D
    Sho0gy_D Posts: 108 Member
    Options

This is SO true. I was recently diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes a month ago. I figured, heck..If I lose weight and diet for now I can "reverse" it, I was wrong. Now I'm better educated about the disease and so far I've lost 20lbs. I feel great, I look a little bit slimmer and most importantly I am enjoying dieting and exercising. I see it as a challenge for me to overcome and I actually look forward to working out after work (I work nights).
  • Sho0gy_D
    Options
    biglion80 wrote: »
    im diabetic and need to lose weight new to the site so

I hope you find success in your journey for weight loss and controlling T2D.
  • biglion80
    Options
    This is SO true. I was recently diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes a month ago. I figured, heck..If I lose weight and diet for now I can "reverse" it, I was wrong. Now I'm better educated about the disease and so far I've lost 20lbs. I feel great, I look a little bit slimmer and most importantly I am enjoying dieting and exercising. I see it as a challenge for me to overcome and I actually look forward to working out after work (I work nights).[/quote]

Thanks for messaging me on this i work nights also from 4pm to 12 midnight my issues is trying to eat the right things and the right time to eat it im eating late at night which i know that's not good and i was plan on joining gym and workout when i get off and talk to trainer but it was so expensive i was like wow so im tryin to get info on eating right and tryin to do the smoothies and protein shakes
  • Sho0gy_D
    Options
    Thanks for messaging me on this i work nights also from 4pm to 12 midnight my issues is trying to eat the right things and the right time to eat it im eating late at night which i know that's not good and i was plan on joining gym and workout when i get off and talk to trainer but it was so expensive i was like wow so im tryin to get info on eating right and tryin to do the smoothies and protein shakes
    [/quote]

I work from 10pm-7am and usually the only things opened around me are the 7-Eleven, McDonald's and Jack in the Box. What I started to do was meal prep for the entire week and that helped out a lot. I boiled/broiled/grilled some chicken or fish along with steamed veggies and a small portion of quinoa or brown rice. I also bring already cut celery and baby carrots as a snack or 1 slice of toast (Low glycemic diabetic bread) if I need the carbs. During break time I make it an effort to walk around my company campus for about 30 mins or if the weather is bad I would bring a jump rope or walk up and down the staircases..basically anything to keep my heart pumping and metabolism going. After my shift, I head straight to the gym to do more cardio and some weight training. Mostly cardio though. You don't have to talk to a trainer (I didn't and I'm a gym newbie) they can be quite pricey so I opted not to. Just keep your body moving, eat small portions often (2-3 hours), watch what you eat and drink a lot of water! I lost 20 lbs in a month just doing that alone. I'm sure most of it was water weight haha. Good luck!
  • Sho0gy_D
    Options
    Oh and another thing about smoothies. I was advised by my doctor and diabetic counselor to NOT do fruit smoothies because it releases all their sugars at once. They said doing veggie smoothies is a better way to go, but if you need to sweeten it up then a small amount of apple would be ok.
  • biglion80
    Options
    hey thanks Sho0gy_D for info yea i may need to prep my food also for the week and i just got find way to keep my food fresh cause im in transportation for the city i transport disable and handicapped people so im sitting driving and moving here and their helping my passengers and wheelchairs im try that brown rice not a fan of celery but i hear good things about it oh u doing good u lost 20lbs in month way to go yea it hard for me to eat because im driving bout 8 hours work night yea i need to find gym also at midnight go to when i get off cant drink alot of water cause i cant stop and use restroom cause i cant leave my clients or passengers unattended some are mental or special needs etc... that bread i never seen it before but im look it up

ok so i guess the smoothies wasn't like i thought and heard ok
  • Sho0gy_D
    Options
    No problem! Maybe bring a small cooler with you and a couple of ice packs to keep your food cold. Ready made salads are pretty good.
  • biglion80
    Options
    I'm look forward or small one since I have little space to work with yes I like salads especially if they are made good
  • LorraineRock
    LorraineRock Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have had T2 for 10 years, my sister for 50! We come from a family of diabetics (T1&T2). I lost 40lbs when I was diagnosed, and gained some back. I entered a hospital program and lost 75lbs. I have gained 25 back since going on Insulin a year ago. I started to cut out starches and eat more veggies a week ago, and have lost 7.5lbs without really trying! My sugars are better too. Try to eat 10 servings of veg a day, and NO bread or cereal, it is working for me. Its summer here so eating salads is really helping.
  • biglion80
    Options
    I had diabetes bout 4 years now I was doing good at first and just got off track the Dr change my medicine from metformin to kazano so and yea I eat cheerios cereal and wheat bread so 10 servings of veggies will be a task for me since i don't like to many of them but i know they are healthy yes salads i like