Afternoon snacking

Options
lkw1239
lkw1239 Posts: 7 Member
edited June 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I do SO well during the day/evening however... after I get home I notice I have terrible habit of snacking or at least wanting to.... any tips or advice?

Replies

• WeddedBliss1992
    WeddedBliss1992 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    eat something simple like a banana or a 100 cal yogurt. it doesn't have to be unhealthy, and it doesn't have to be alot of calories. just to satisfy that snacking craving, you can easily still fit it into your daily calorie requirements.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    Are you snacking because you're actually hungry? If so, my advice would be to go ahead and indulge in something small that fits your plan so you don't end up binging later.

If you're not watching your sodium, brothy soup can be really good (I eat a packet of miso, which is about 35 calories). It also takes a while to eat, so it sort of uses up your snacking window. If you're not into soup, I also like lightly-salted air-popped popcorn for the same reasons.

On the other hand, if you're snacking because you're just bored, I would try to find something to busy your hands and mind. Do you have household stuff that can wait for this window of time? Is there something that interests you that you could dedicate some time to? (e.g. 30 minutes of reading)
  • xp0sed
    xp0sed Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    As soon as I get home, I get my exercise in. I find I'm not actually hungry and if I start exercising (go for a walk, do a workout, etc.) I'm occupied. Then when I'm done it's time for dinner.
  • ashdawg8790
    ashdawg8790 Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    You could always keep some cut-up veggies in your fridge for just such an occasion. :) I get home after work and want to snack in the worst way - If I have apples or veggies prepped, I'll grab those... Sometimes a can of tuna if I'm low on protein, or a Greek yogurt. But if I don't have those, I start rooting through the cupboards for chocolate scraps from who-knows-what-holiday... :blush:
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I eat a small snack before I leave the office.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    just finished my afternoon snack...1 nectarine and 1 ounce of almonds. plan your snacks...don't mindlessly eat.
  • lkw1239
    lkw1239 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Are you snacking because you're actually hungry? If so, my advice would be to go ahead and indulge in something small that fits your plan so you don't end up binging later.

If you're not watching your sodium, brothy soup can be really good (I eat a packet of miso, which is about 35 calories). It also takes a while to eat, so it sort of uses up your snacking window. If you're not into soup, I also like lightly-salted air-popped popcorn for the same reasons.

On the other hand, if you're snacking because you're just bored, I would try to find something to busy your hands and mind. Do you have household stuff that can wait for this window of time? Is there something that interests you that you could dedicate some time to? (e.g. 30 minutes of reading)

I am actually hungry! By this time I'm home from the gym. I just get off really early and don't normally start cooking dinner until late. I loved the idea about planning healthy snacks. I do it for work but I guess just never thought about doing it at home too!
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Find a way to fit it into your calories and macros, and you're good to go! If you're trying to stop the snacking, don't have that food in your house. You can also have a big jug of water around. That keeps me full in between meals.