Replies

• jjsilcox96
    jjsilcox96 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    What do you mean
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    Just losing weight can make a significant impact on your knees. (In a good way.)
  • opalsqueak007
    opalsqueak007 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Do your knees hurt?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    You do not strengthen knees... you strengthen the muscles around the knees...
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    dont use that knee extension machine, that's a knee destroyer
  • brimag18
    brimag18 Posts: 12 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Bicycle is very good. Stationary or otherwise. Don't use the straps, though and make sure you're pushing through with the foot and not the toe. You want to strengthen your leg muscles while staying low impact on the knees. Walking is another good one.
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    brimag18 wrote: »
    Bicycle is very good. Stationary or otherwise. Don't use the straps, though and make sure you're pushing through with the foot and not the toe. You want to strengthen your leg muscles while staying low impact on the knees. Walking is another good one.

in regards to straps, do you mean those things you stick your feet in on the pedals??

To the OP:
    if you have knee pain see a physiotherapist. It could be an issue with the supporting muscles... eg with my knee I have weak glutes and tight quads so I am working on fixing that
  • ronrhoda
    ronrhoda Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    If your knees hurt lots aw a orthopedic. Have had my left knee replaced 3 times in 4 years. 1st when I was 37 net 2 by 41, only because I thought I could do more because I was young! Swimming is great for me!
    True you strengthen your muscles not your knees.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    IzzyBooNZ1 wrote: »
    brimag18 wrote: »

in regards to straps, do you mean those things you stick your feet in on the pedals??

To the OP:
    if you have knee pain see a physiotherapist. It could be an issue with the supporting muscles... eg with my knee I have weak glutes and tight quads so I am working on fixing that

Hey @IzzyBooNZ1 whatcha doing to help with the tight quads?? I could also use some more tips on weak glutes. I'll take any advice you all have.

I can't do walking as a strengthener anymore..not a very long distance. Um, as in maybe walking from my car from the gym parking lot and that's about it. :'(

Doing loads of Pool workouts which help so much for the joints for anyone with that as an option. I run in the pool which is pretty awesome as I sure can't run outside of it.. it feels pretty amazing!

Thanks for any tips! :)

OP...so glad you're getting some good advice..knee pain is NO fun! Keep pedaling.....with your new tips ;)
    Debmal77 wrote: »
    Just losing weight can make a significant impact on your knees. (In a good way.)
    absolutely!! So hard for some though that can't do much with the pain...but as mentioned by some up above...the pool, the pool... it's lifesaving. @ronrhoda
    You can do things in it you'd never imagine being able to do on land. Plus it's the pool...it's fun ;)
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I used to have iffy knees. Squats and deadlifts strengthened the muscles and connective tissue around my knees. I no longer have iffy knees.

YMMV
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    I used to have iffy knees. Squats and deadlifts strengthened the muscles and connective tissue around my knees. I no longer have iffy knees.

YMMV
    Same here. 18 months ago I could barely walk up a flight of stairs, my knees hurt so much, you could hear them creaking for every step. 8 months of strength training has changed that drastically. Occasionally when there is rain or extreme cold temps coming, my knees get achy, but the difference is night and day to what I was before I started this weight loss and fitness journey.
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    @Hearts_2015

I do alot of foam rolling on my quads... also sports massage is good but it is sooo sore ! My physio would do this during our session. I can't afford my physio anymore but I might try osteopath ( prices are better for me) as they will look at the body as a whole, as I feel other parts of my body are out of whack due to my injury

Glutes: I do clam shells ( 3 x 10 each side) , glute bridges ( 5 x 10 ) , cook hip bridge/lift ( 3 x 10 each side) , bird dogs ( 2 x 10 each side) . My glutes are slowly, slowly getting there. Oh also my physio said to do this once an hour as often as you can : stand strand, squeeze glutes together as hard as you can for 5 secs and release... repeat x 5

http://bretcontreras.com/how-to-fix-glute-imbalances/ is good as my right glute is weaker than my left. Bret Contreras has ALOT Of glute info

I must try swimming. Next pay day I will get a swim cap and goggles ( I have highlighted hair and chlorine irritates my eyes)