Gained 5lbs over the father's day weekend

Options
iGROK1
iGROK1 Posts: 4 Member
edited June 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Well - on top of father's day it was also my 6th anniversary so my hubby and I may have over indulged in some foods that we wouldn't usually eat. He gained 2lbs but I gained 5! I was shocked, to be honest. I used to eat like this all the time and I never gained weight that fast. Why would I gain that much in 2 days? Well I tried to Google the answer - which I didn't find, but in the search I did find this great article - so I thought I would share:
https://well.wvu.edu/articles/10_dieting_myths

[Edited by MFP Mods]

Replies

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Water retention if you ate higher sodium foods and didn't have adequate water intake.
    And unless you logged, you were likely over your maintenance calories
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    unless you consumed 15,000 + calories over a two day period it is just water retention. Drink a lot of water and weigh in, in a week and it will be all gone.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    It took me a week before a cruise, a 7 day cruise, a week back, and this weekend with Father's Day and our anniversary to gain 8 pounds eating like a darn horse. As mentioned, probably a good deal of water weight fluctuation.

Monitor weight over a month, not just each week.
  • whirlygig60
    whirlygig60 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Sodium from the chinese food = water retention
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    In addition to water retention from sodium, if you were over maintenance for the day, your body may have replenished some of its glycogen stores, and the body requires 3 g water to bind one g of glycogen, so that may be accounting for some of the gain as well.

It's basically the opposite of what happens when you first start a new diet after eating at maintenance or surplus for a while. In that case your body taps your glycogen stores to make up for the energy deficit (or some of it) and gets rid of the water it no longer needs as well, and you see that excessively weight loss in the first week or so that can't be accounted for by your projected caloric deficit.

Go back to your eating at your normal deficit and it should drop off.
  • sthoma13
    sthoma13 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    This happens to me all the time it's not real fat gain, it's just water retention. Just go back to your regular routine this week and by Friday morning you should be right back where you started. Don't fret!
  • putzfam4
    putzfam4 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    All above!
    I find that my weight can fluctuate as much as 5 pounds depending on sodium, change in sleep, change in exercise/ life style routine. Keep the water and healthier lifestyle choices snd you'll bounce back.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Yes mostly water, although it could be some fat... 3500 calories over maintenance = 1 pound. Either way, one week of regular deficit and you will lose it again.