Free Days

Options
How often do yall give yourself a free/reward day where you let yourself go over your calorie goal without working it off?

Replies

• professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Never

If those calories magically went away, now that would be free!

I get plenty to eat, add 600 calories worth of cardio and it is quite a bit.
  • allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I don't do that, if I want something I have it. I usually have lots of room for a treat.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    Usually Sundays we go out to eat and unfortunately, the restaurant we usually go to doesn't have a lot of low calorie choices, so I usually get a small steak and if I go over, I go over. They have the best rolls, so I usually have one and take one home for the next day. I can't really weigh food bought out either, so I can only go with what the restaurant's website tells me and hope it's accurate.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    your body will still count them anyway, so no
    never. I just count them all.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    A free day as you describe it would be counterproductive for me. I like to see trends that maximize my progress toward my goal. If I failed to measure or record, my data would be worthless. I would have no idea what worked or didn't work. I have 30 years of evidence that free days will not take me where I want to go.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Never.

I work what I want into my calorie goal.
  • whirlygig60
    whirlygig60 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    No free days for me. I could very easily destroy my weekly deficit in one day.
  • ckspores1018
    ckspores1018 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Free days are counterproductive to what I'm trying to accomplish and not great for my motivation either.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I don't plan on a free day, but if I do go over(like I did yesterday) I don't punish myself by doing a ton of extra exercises nor do I severely restrict my calories until I "make up the difference". I recognize that I'm not perfect and get right back on my plan the very next day/meal. I have delayed my progress by maybe a whole week, but in the grand scheme of things, I'm ok with that.
  • MitsuShai
    MitsuShai Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'm gonna be like everyone else and not count free days, except when I'm feeling miserable and sad lol
  • hobbeskastiel
    hobbeskastiel Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I try to keep my calories on par all the time, but about once a week i don't bother with my macros. Protein is my main macro goal, but sometimes I want pizza and that eats up fat and carbs instead. So if i want pizza i'll sacrifice my protein goal.
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I used to do them, and then wondered why I still had a bad relationship with food. ;) now I bank calories throughout the week so I can use them on the weekends. I get two days of pretty much just stuffing my face with whatever I want, and I'm still on track. it's awesome!
  • ckspores1018
    ckspores1018 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    MitsuShai wrote: »
    Ok, I'm gonna be like everyone else and not count free days, except when I'm feeling miserable and sad lol

That is exactly the thinking that has derailed my weight loss for years. There was always a reason to comfort myself and I aways used food.
  • M30834134
    M30834134 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    In order to avoid cravings and urges, do not create a large caloric deficit so you could still eat foods you like. Smaller caloric deficit will result in slower weight loss but it wont make you miserable and you will still be enjoying foods you like. And, slower weight loss might help you keep it off than going too fast and derailing because of cravings and constantly being hungry.
  • MitsuShai
    MitsuShai Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    MitsuShai wrote: »

That is exactly the thinking that has derailed my weight loss for years. There was always a reason to comfort myself and I aways used food.

For me it was stress. Whenever I get stressed, I eat, eat, and eat until I have no time left to deal with my problems. Food is a lovely distraction.

• besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    i have a free meal once a week. lost 100 pounds. it allows me to freedom to crave certain food that dont fit into my everyday diet, its great that others can fit all the foodz into their routine on a regular basis, i can't. a full on day might cause more havoc on your goals, but I've been known to have full on crazy days too. find a balance that works for you.
  • DanniB423
    DanniB423 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I've been having free days for 27 years. I totally understand why people do it but I just can't.
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I still count calories [and must be 1200 or under], but let myself eat a bit more freely on weekends.
  • ccourcha
    ccourcha Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    free days and not logging have led to me resetting for several weeks in a row. Take scale weight Monday. Drop 2 by Friday. Gain it back by Monday. Curse you alcohol!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    How often do yall give yourself a free/reward day where you let yourself go over your calorie goal without working it off?

when i do a race, i often allow myself that day, and the day after to eat and drink with impunity.