Training with my wife

Options
Iv613
Iv613 Posts: 1 Member
Can my wife do the same lifting routines as me?

Replies

• Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Iv613 wrote: »

If she wants to do it, sure. Adaptation occurs the same way in women as it does men.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Smaller weights.
  • determined_14
    determined_14 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I'm a woman doing Stronglifts. There is no reason women can't do the same routines as men, though your wife will likely need smaller weights and may need to increase by smaller increments at a time. :)
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    Yep. I lift with my BF and only change the weights.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Sure she can. But will she want to? Only you know that. The worst thing you can do in a relationship is go all drill sergeant/expert on your partner.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    My hubby's smarter than to go all drill sergeant on me. He's the one that helped me get the courage to step in a gym in the first place. I will sometimes follow him around on a circuit, changing the weights as we go. I used to imitate his stretches too but with my new-found knowledge, I do my own. I also run on my own. But he'll walk with me. If the sun is shining. And it's not too windy. And the air is balmy.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options

If it matches her goals and abilities, then yes. If not, then no.
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. Of course, it should be areas she would like to train. If i let my boyfriend train me, every day would be chest and I'd never get a leg day.

But I'm thiiiiis close to converting him.
  • brimag18
    brimag18 Posts: 12 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I lift with my husband. Just use less weight.
    Maybe I should clarify. We do the same routine. He does a set, I do a set. We change weights between because we don't lift the same. I lift heavy for me.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options

Absolutely! My husband and I do as often as we are able to go to the gym on the same days.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Lol. My husband, were he to lift, would most certainly lift more weight than me. That's not an insult. It's just a fact. And smaller is not the same as small.
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have trained and competed together for years. Neither of us got the other involved, we met in the sport so that makes a difference with respect to both our levels of interest.

If she isn't really interested, I'd be careful about pushing too hard. If she is, it's awesome to have a built in training partner.

It's nice to have that person who knows what you are capable of doing and is around to ride both the ups and downs with you.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Does she want to?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    sure, why not? my wife started out doing Starting Strength with me...she ultimately was bored of the program and wanted something a little more all purpose general fitness oriented so she moved on to a different program rather quickly...but there's no reason she couldn't have kept doing it with me...it just didn't line up with her goals.

i would add that training together, as brief as it was, did put kind of a strain on things...I would try to correct form and she'd think I was being an *kitten*, etc. we do much better doing our own thing in the weight room. we do occasionally ride and run together.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    it's funny you ask as I have been lifting for 2 years...my husband joins me and lifts the weights I do...why because they are heavy for him... :o
  • jgnatca
    Options
    @billieljaime , I modify: She will start with lighter weights.
  • starseedxo
    starseedxo Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    @jgnatca - you don't know that. Maybe he is super weak, and she's an athlete that is interested in switching her routine. You know what they say about assumptions...
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Assuming she's just starting out, she will likely be starting with lighter weights. I know I did.
    She can do all the same exercises he does.
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    starseedxo wrote: »
    @jgnatca - you don't know that. Maybe he is super weak, and she's an athlete that is interested in switching her routine. You know what they say about assumptions...

Sure but it's disingenuous to think that an average woman is stronger than an average man. All things being equal, he will be lifting more than her. Barring outliers ie, he is weak and she is a top level competitive lifter, he will lift more.

Perhaps no one should have said use lighter weights just follow the same program.