Low calorie food choices you made that you carried on even whilst not losing weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I'm not in maintenance but I know a few of these already:

Coffee/tea with milk, not cream and sugar
    In-store-baked hamburger (sandwich/hotdog) buns: 130 calories versus 250 for national brands!
    Salad - I can eat a quart of salad with mixed greens, tomatoes, and cucumber for <100 calories. And on that note:
    Specific salad dressings. Braswell's Peach Vanilla dressing comes to mind. 30 calories in a serving.
    Ice cream. A half cup of Open Nature Vanilla Bean ice cream (that's 2 standard scoops) has 160 calories. A small DQ Blizzard is more like 450!
    Prepackaged indian curries - too much work to make myself, but they're high in fibre and super tasty for ~160 calories per 1/2 cup portion, nice as a side to grilled meats.
    Happy Planet tomato soup or chicken soup - 70-80 calories per cup.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    I'm just in the process of transitioning to maintenance, so I can't really speak for what I'll do in the long term. But some habits I've formed that I see no reason not to continue with are:

Always have good quality chocolate instead of cheap candy bars.
    Always have good quality cheese instead of the gross plastic stuff.
    Always have good craft beer instead of cheap commercial crap.
    Always have fresh bakery bread instead of packaged supermarket stuff.
    Always splurge on good restaurant food instead of generic chain or fast food.
    Etc.

Basically, I've turned into a food snob. I believe in maximizing the flavour and enjoyment from every calorie. I like my food a lot better now, so I don't really see any reason to go back to eating crappy stuff.

tumblr_lfjhdovKUn1qcu4mno1_400.jpg

• debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt instead of mayo in tuna or chicken salad.
    English whole grain muffins instead of hamburger buns for hamburgers (saves about 30 calories, but more importantly the meat fits the bun!)
    Greek yogurt versus regular yogurt.
    Dark chocolate versus milk chocolate or candy bars.
    Using spices to jazz up food instead of calorie dense toppings.
    Sometimes using salsa and guacamole as a salad dressing.
    Making my own grab and go breakfast sandwiches instead of one from McDonald's (Pinterest has several recipes).
    Grilled or sauteed veggies.
  • martim3
    martim3 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    David_2015 wrote: »
    Hi all

Sorry about the confusing title...! I was thinking earlier about the low calorie food choices/swaps I had made at some point years ago whilst I was losing weight that I carried on when I wasn't attempting to lose weight (I'm what you would call a yo-yo-er!), such as:

Always have wholemeal bread
    Always have the green milk
    Always have the light versions of Mayo (40 cals vs 100 per 15g!)
    Always have porridge for breakkie instead of sugary cereals
    Always have light yoghurts

What are yours?

• martim3
    martim3 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Always sit down for your meal and enjoy it. Relaxing regularly helps you eat better as well.
  • nooie19
    nooie19 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Kicked the soda habit years ago. I drink unsweetened iced tea, coffee with no sugar, hit green tea.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Always prepare my lunch the night before so I can take it to work with me.

Always have fruit around for snacks when I get hungry so I don't stop at a fast food joint to get something.

Keeping popcorn and sodas out of the house.

Always have protein shakes in the fridge for eazy grab and go breakfast.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Oh, that reminds me: Air popper instead of oil popping on the stove.
  • wanttobefit300
    wanttobefit300 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Fruit for dessert.
    Yasso frozen Greek yogurt bars in chocolate, strawberry, blueberry, mango, raspberry.
    Dark chocolate.
    Water.
  • Spreyton22K
    Spreyton22K Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Skim milk in coffee. Stopped having sugar in it as well.
    Have introduced herbal teas and also hot/cold lemon waters.
    Started making our homemade greek yogurt to enjoy rather than icecream everyday. Still have icecream but go for artisan/higher quality ones.
    Dry roasting veggies with a spray of oil, rather than shallow fry.
    Have much more fruit as desserts - Winter tend to do a lot of baked stuffed apples and pears, with sultanas, drizzle of honey and yogurt.
    Having more lower calorie vegetarian meals.

I guess overall I too have become much more careful and discerning about what I want to 'spend' my calorie allotment on - so as someone else mentioned I guess I feel that I too have become a bit of a food snob. I also think that 'dieting' can be a great time to expand your cooking skills and knowledge - embrace different ways of eating and cooking using new meats, vegetables and styles of prep.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    Oh, that reminds me: Air popper instead of oil popping on the stove.

That reminds me I need to get an air popper.
  • wick3tgirl
    wick3tgirl Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    all of the greek yogurt (have only fage in my country and poor substitutions).