No willpower

Options
so, I had a decent day, I worked out earlier, ran for a while. And also took a walk this evening. However.. I blew it all by eating junk. Just had a cookie and some ice cream. I mean, why can't I stop myself?

Replies

• Kathy379
    Kathy379 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Plus I had cheese and crackers, and meatloaf and mashed potatoes. And more.
  • katrinacoleman416
    katrinacoleman416 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Oh, I get you. I feel the same. I want to lose weight and be healthy, but I find myself 'falling off the wagon' and then waiting to get started again the next day or sometimes the next week.
    Maybe some healthy competition would help keep you on track
  • Kathy379
    Options
    I'm open to try anything that may help :)
    This is getting out of control lol
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Do you log before or after you eat? Also, is your deficit reasonable or too much? If you don't eat consistently from day to day (too little one day, too much the next), it can be easy to be way hungrier than you wish you were!

On the plus side, one bad day isn't going to ruin you.
  • Dustinsteven22
    Dustinsteven22 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I learned that cravings usually come when my body needs vitamins and minerals. Nutrition is so important. Cut sugar and your cravings will decrease. Feel free to add me.
  • Kathy379
    Options
    I log after I eat usually, unless I know ahead of time what I'll be having. Like my work lunches etc.
  • tomnev1
    tomnev1 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Kathy, you have the same problem as most people so here's the uncomfortable solution. Throw the junk food out. Seriously, in the bin or give it to a homeless person or something. You obviously are aware in the morning and afternoons, eating well, exercising etc. It's the evening time where everybody's willpower dies. You're no different to me or the rest of us.
    Also, do your grocery shopping after you eat a healthy meal. That way you won't buy crap on impulse.
    If you're like me and keep cakes and cookies in the house just in case you have a visitor, then trust me when I say your visitors won't mind if you don't have treats for them.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    The more you "exercise" your willpower, the stronger it gets!
  • nyponbell
    nyponbell Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    This often happens to me if I've had a few green days in a row; I end up having a few red ones. This is why I don't lose weight!

I try to log in advance to see what I can eat, and even prepare the food if possible - that way I won't have any excuses. I also try to budget in some evening snacks (like dried mango, which is a favourite of mine at the moment) and quinoa rice cakes. That really helps.

Sometimes you just want to keep on eating! Especially if you've worked out.

It's easy also to say that you shouldn't keep cookies and ice cream in the house, but since I live with other adults who are in charge of their own food (and don't mind sharing) I know it's not always up to you. But if it is, don't keep that food in the house!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Pre log
    Be more mindful
    Take responsibility for what you eat.
    Fuel your workouts properly
    Be hydrated.
  • rachelnycroo
    rachelnycroo Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Did the same thing and feel awful today... But I logged every ugly bite a dam moving on today! Good. Luck!
  • gemmi33
    gemmi33 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    This is how I have been for the passed 6 months and it's really getting me down.. I mean it's easy, don't put in in your mouth that's all we have to to!! Wrong.... I can't say no it's ridiculous really. I know I'm unhealthy, eat too much sweet and processed food, feel unattractive but yet I still keep doing it.

I then have a week or 2 of obsessive calorie counting then fall off the wagon.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    there isn't anything wrong with eating those foods so long as they fit in your calorie allotment

to not eat those things, don't keep them in the house. and if possible and necessary, do not bring cash to work so you can't hit up those vending machines

I find the more I track, the more I am aware of what I am eating. do I want a small brownie or a big bowl of fruit-with a small amount of whip cream. i'll take the fruit. ice cream sandwich or ice cream drumstick? sandwich-half as many calories
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    Don't keep those foods in the house.
    When you feel the urge to eat that stuff, especially if you've already eaten dinner, distract yourself.
    USE your will power.
    Stop starting over.
    Remember why you are trying to do this in the first place.
    Log your foods the night before or in the morning and be accountable.
    Drink a *kitten* load of water.
    Take ownership and stop feeling sorry about it. If you're going to eat an entire bag of chips just be done with it and move on.
    Try harder.
    Eat high protein, high healthy fat and tons of veggies.
    Drink tons of water.
    Last, if your issue is in the evenings, try some intermittent fasting in the morning and see how you feel. Start your eating (breakfast/lunch/snack/dinner) later in the day. If you're eating dinner later you might satisfy that need to snack at night.
    Good luck!
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong in eating a cookie or having ice cream. They may not be as nutritionally valuable as another option you may have in the house, but in and of themselves they are not "evil".

As to why you binge eat in the evening, there are any number of possible reasons. Your cal deficit my be too extreme, you may not be getting sufficient nutrition, it my be pattern/ boredom eating.

I tend to snack while watching TV, even when I am not hungry. The easiest trick I found to combat this, or make it more obvious that I am doing it so I realize, is to not have convenient snack food available. Its much too easy to absentmindedly grab it from a packaged container.

I win that battle by not bringing it home from the grocery store in a quantity I'm not willing to consume for the week. So, I might bring home a box of 6 ice cream bars, and thats all I have in the house. If I eat them all on Sat and Sun, thats fine, so long as I dont go buy more before the week is out.

If you cant do that, then your best option is to just not have it in the house at all.
  • MarilynTC
    MarilynTC Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    For me personally, it is not only about willpower so much as it is I can't get control of my depression and I am a depressed eater. My medications are not working like they used to, and I can't seem to find some combination that really works. I am so careful about logging all day long, but after dinner, I just can't hold on anymore and end up eating. The stress of everything - kids, work, husband, cleaning, yardwork - just becomes overwhelming and I break.

And I try to keep most junk out of the house, but my son needs lunches for day camp, something that doesn't need refrigeration, and he has refused anything but peanut butter - one of my worst binge foods.

It is so easy to say "just don't buy it" or "just try harder" but for me right now, that just sounds like a bunch of *kitten* and only makes me feel worse, like a weak, worthless blob of guts.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I'd do a good think about the circumstances surrounding your loss of control. Were you tired, hungry? Did you fall back on old habits? Having some insight on what your triggers were will point you to a strategy to try. It might mean you need to fuel up - under control - after exercise. Maybe pre-log a little more food on workout day, like a post-workout protein shake.
  • acidosaur
    acidosaur Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    The more you "exercise" your willpower, the stronger it gets!

That's not true. http://www.wired.com/2012/10/mf-willpower/
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    That's a question only you can answer and a problem you'll have to figure out how to solve.

How badly do you want this?
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Story of my life. I don't need people to go attack my diary. I already know that my problem is that I eat wheat/meat/gluten/carbs/sugar.