Hi

Options
My name is Dawn and I have struggled with my weight my entire life. In the last month or so, something has inexplicably clicked in my brain. It's definitely time for a change. It started at work with the "Fitness Challenge". First, I took the health assment and discovered that my blood sugar was too high, then, we all started wearing pedometers and tracking our steps. It made me realize how inactive I was. I guess the worry over becoming diabetic was just the motivation I needed. Now, I'm walking every day after work, even in the rain. My day just doesn't feel complete unless I get that walk in. I'm eating healthier and keeping track of everything I eat. I've lost about 5 lbs., which means it's coming off very slowly. I keep having to remind myself that I didn't gain all this weight overnight, and it's going to take about a year to lose it all. I can definitely see that my metabolism isn't what it used to be. Back in the day, I could drop 5 lbs. with the "celery and diet Coke" diet (don't ask) in a few days. I'm at the beginning of long journey. According to my MD, I should lose 65 lbs. I hope that I have what it takes to stay motivated and get the job done. I'm hoping to meet up with others that are on the same road for support and kinship.

Replies

• Ibe_Theninja
    Options
    Nice to meet you! Sounds like you are off to a great start! Welcome to the self realization club :wink:
  • blizzy1
    blizzy1 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    hi I have been at this a while. My weight is yo yo ing, so I started using the exercise tracker ... not burning as many calories as I thought. I am using both trackers now. I just want to see the scale to start dropping, it all adds up. Good luck on your weight loss journey! Don't let the little bumps in the road throw you off :)
  • SassyBiker68
    Options
    Good luck! They say slow and steady wins the race. You can do this!
  • mseab71
    mseab71 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Good Luck on your journey!! You have hooked up with a great website for motivation and support!! I will send you a friend request and you may accept if you like and if not I completely understand!! Good Luck You Can Do This!!

Michelle
  • tjames719
    tjames719 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Best wishes on your journey! You can add me as a friend.
  • mindy14456
    mindy14456 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Hi and good luck to you!! This site has really opened my eyes, and keeps me on track. Feel free to add me if you need support, I have a long road ahead of me too!! :)
  • mchappelle45
    Options
    welcome!!!!!! we have alot in common it was so much easier putting it on!! hahaha!
  • jmuzzio7
    jmuzzio7 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi Dawn, I'm Jenn....I have been struggling with my weight all of my life too. I'm really motivated to do this and do this RIGHT this time--they say it's best if the weight comes off slowly, there's a better chance of it staying off. I just started with MFP last week and I LOVE it. I really think this will be helpful. Feel free to add me as a friend--we can motivate and support each other !!!
  • destinationparadise
    Options
    Hi Dawn, I'm glad you have joined us. I am hooked on walking now myself. Never thought that I would be one to come home from work and walk 2 miles every day but I love it. Good luck!
  • bwalters82
    bwalters82 Posts: 95
    Options
    Hi Dawn,

It definitely will take time to lose weight in a healthy way. Remember that you are creating a healthy lifestyle, not going through a fad diet. This is the rest of your life, and you're in control of it! I will tell you that as you become more confident you should try more exercise. Walking is great, but you could really take advantage of simple exercises at home that will increase your calorie burn and help your metabolism to work FOR you instead of against you. Keep it up, you're doing great!
  • cliffhealy
    cliffhealy Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi Dawn,

I didn't struggle with weight too much until later in my military career, then it starting getting tough. Once I retired from the miltiary and went out into the civilian world, it got really bad. I just joined up on this thing here yesterday and I hope this may be the answer. I saw a friend of mine yesterday, who I had not seen for about a year and he looked great. So I asked him what he did and MYFITNESSPAL was his answer. So here goes. I tried Weight Watchers, Atkins and most of the rest, with some success, only to slip right back and gain even more. I am starting out here at 270, the most I have ever weighed. Kind of depressing, but I am optimistic since I know someone who has actually succeeded with this method. So good luck to you and I will see you around the message board.
  • Cblue541
    Cblue541 Posts: 17
    Options
    Good Luck you can do this. Just keep at it!