dehydrated help

Options
theswan0
theswan0 Posts: 51 Member
I wonder if anyone could give me suggestions i struggle when it comes to drinking water, i only have 1 working kidney and as a child i was made to drink it but like a rebel the day i left home i decided no more water because i HATE it but i now have grown up (well a little) lol i know i am dehydrated and i know how important it is for the body But i still hate it, i will now drink it but i do myself a cold bottle of water and forget to drink it, i wondered if anyone has any ideas how i can remember to drink it or any ways to make it tast better or any hints or tips as i usually only have 4 cups of tea a day, and i know its not enough and tea also dehydrates you any advice would be great :)

Replies

• madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    I have an app on my phone that tells me how much water I should be drinking a day and reminds me to drink every hour if I haven't already put inthat I drank a glass. I also hate the taste of water so I use zero calorie flavoring in it.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Do you enjoy herbal teas? They can be prepared either hot or cold.
  • theswan0
    Options
    Oooooo that sounds great do you know what the app is called thank you :)
  • rainydays5
    rainydays5 Posts: 217 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I use 0 cal flavorings for it or even fruit. I also know how much water I should be drinking and fill a big water bottle up. I try to drink it all before noon then fill it and try to have it drunk before dinner. I do love my diet mt dew so I have allotted 1 can a day that I drink with my lunch but other than that I drink water.

ETA: I do have a cup (10 oz) coffee in the mornings as well. :)
  • theswan0
    Options
    No hate herbal tea sadly, i fill a bottle and forget iv done it and forget to drink it :(
  • sarahdayski
    sarahdayski Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    add lemon or lime juice. I drink juice as i cant always just drink plain water, but i love fizzy water and find that much easier to consume
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    I add one lemon (splitted) and cucumber slices to a gallon pitcher of plain water and keep it in the fridge. It is great in the summer.

I drink herbal teas in the winter, usually green tea without any sweetener.
    Cheers
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Have you tried coconut water? It hydrates better than water, just be aware that it is 600 mg of potassium per cup.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Good news! Tea does not dehydrate.

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20140402-are-coffee-and-tea-dehydrating

Because my water intake has been watched for two years and I'm always aware of it, I go through phases where I am totally sick of water. I change it up constantly. I am drinking straight water right now. But in the last week I've also had it as:
    • Herbal tea
    • Orange Pekoe tea
    • Diet Sprite
    • Diet Pepsi
    • With biosteel powder
    • Spiked with lemons or lime juice, and a slice of lime in the water
    • Soda water
    • Perrier
    • With a spritz of mio

Since the goal is adequate hydration, I'll drink any way that keeps me engaged and interested.
  • Sandcastles61
    Sandcastles61 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    theswan0 wrote: »
    Oooooo that sounds great do you know what the app is called thank you :)

I use an app called Water Your Body.... It works well for me :)
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    I drink room temp water

you can suck down 20 oz of it in like 10 seconds
  • hobbeskastiel
    hobbeskastiel Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    draznyth wrote: »
    I drink room temp water

I hate the fact that this is true. I want very cold water now that it's 95 degrees outside, but if my water's that cold I have to drink it slowly. If it's room temp I can down it no problem.

• FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    draznyth wrote: »
    I drink room temp water

I hate the fact that this is true. I want very cold water now that it's 95 degrees outside, but if my water's that cold I have to drink it slowly. If it's room temp I can down it no problem.

yea I just got used to it after doing it for years
  • theswan0
    Options
    Thank you all so much :) i have downloaded the app and you have all given me brilliant idears hopefully il be able to make a difference :)
  • J383
    J383 Posts: 4,573 Member
    Options
    I don't go anywhere without my 24oz Tervis. I drink 1first thing in the morning (before my coffee) and before each meal. Yesterday I filled up 6 times. That is over a gal of water for the day. I cut up strawberries, orange wedge, mint leaves, and add to my water. Good luck! You are welcome to add me, on daily! :)
  • CockneyLady2014
    CockneyLady2014 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Each time I have a cup of tea I drink a glass of water before it. I then don't forget. I also drink a glass of water as soon as I get out of bed. I take medication at night so a glass of water before going to bed.
  • reneeknick
    reneeknick Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Wow, how can you drink warm water, im having trouble even drinking any water at all.
  • reneeknick
    Options
    Is something like sparkling water ok?
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Why do you have to drink water? Drink other stuff to rehydrate you. I never understand people who drink/eat things they hate because "it's good for you". I promise, there are other liquids and solids you can consume that will help hydrate you and you'll probably like some of them.
  • reneeknick
    Options
    Do have suggestions?