Affordable high protein food ideas

Options
lukepukenichols
lukepukenichols Posts: 6 Member
edited June 2015 in Food and Nutrition
so I've recently started tracking my macro intake (carbs,fat, protein) and I'm finding it incredibly hard to get them all in for two main reasons, firstly I can't have whey protein...or at least not regularly (gives me super bad acne) which means eating high protein food whilst I'm at work/college isn't easy. And also I can only afford to spend around £25 a week on food (working in morrisons helps because I can hide all of the discounted food and buy it when I finish my shift) so does anyone know of cheap/easy to eat on the go food/supplement ideas?

Cheers

Replies

• BillyG712
    BillyG712 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Canned tuna fish is probably the cheapest, healthiest and fastest food to eat while dieting. Low in fat and carbs I always have a week supply in my cabinet for when i need an easy meal. It also mixes well into salads and cheese melts.
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    so I've recently started tracking my macro intake (carbs,fat, protein) and I'm finding it incredibly hard to get them all in for two main reasons, firstly I can't have whey protein...or at least not regularly (gives me super bad acne) which means eating high protein food whilst I'm at work/college isn't easy. And also I can only afford to spend around £25 a week on food (working in morrisons helps because I can hide all of the discounted food and buy it when I finish my shift) so does anyone know of cheap/easy to eat on the go food/supplement ideas?

Cheers

Maybe a 2nd job inanother food shop that lets you hide food.

• ladivertida
    ladivertida Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter was a staple food for me on college, and it doesn't cost too much.
  • mpat81
    mpat81 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Eggs have protein and good fat.
  • smslogan317
    smslogan317 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Plain Greek Yogurt has a lot of protein and probiotics, I flavor it with some vanilla or almond extract.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Rotisserie chicken from Costco. The best-tasting around. $4.99 for a three pound chicken.
  • airwicca
    airwicca Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Im a big fan of Brunswick Kippered herring and their lemon pepper herring.tasty fish without the mercury issues of tuna,good source of omegas and 17gr protein per can.sometimes even dollar stores sell them.my supermarket had them on sale this week for 1.75 a can.not too bad.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Beans? Not the most portable, but you could make a bean salad and bring it in a tupperware. If you buy dried beans in a fairly large package, they are very cheap (under $0.25 a serving in the US)

Soynuts are more portable, but I don't really know if they are much cheaper than other protein sources.
  • lukepukenichols
    Options
    Cheers people, lots of good ideas, thanks for your help :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you don't cook, or don't cook much? It costs a lot less to cook from scratch than to buy on-the-go, or convenience foods. Meat has more protein than beans, eggs, or peanut butter and chicken is cheap.
  • unrelentingminx
    unrelentingminx Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Pork tenderloin is very lean and cheap.
    Quinoa makes a good high protein substitute for rice.
    Chickpeas are great, cheap and very versatile.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Pork tenderloin is very lean and cheap.
    Quinoa makes a good high protein substitute for rice.
    Chickpeas are great, cheap and very versatile.

Yep. Beans and quinoa are quality sources of protein and carbs. Much less expensive if you buy in bulk. Chicken can also be affordable if you buy in bulk.
  • lukepukenichols
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Sounds like you don't cook, or don't cook much? It costs a lot less to cook from scratch than to buy on-the-go, or convenience foods. Meat has more protein than beans, eggs, or peanut butter and chicken is cheap.

I do cook from scratch mostly, however the training programme I am currently doing tells me to have 240 grams of protein a day (based on body type, lean weight, etc) and I'm just struggling to cook decent meals in advance and eat at regular intervals
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options

I do cook from scratch mostly, however the training programme I am currently doing tells me to have 240 grams of protein a day (based on body type, lean weight, etc) and I'm just struggling to cook decent meals in advance and eat at regular intervals

Ah, in that case, what my coworker (a bodybuilder who is not trying to lose weight) does is cook a whole bunch of chicken (and sweet potato or brown rice) and eat it every two hours, and have some protein shakes for other meals. He uses whey but since this makes you break out, you could use pea protein or other non-whey powder. (Also try different brands?) He has four eggs plus oatmeal for breakfast.

He has about 350g of protein per day - 200-250 from food, and about 150 from supplements.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Eggs, beans, lentils and chick peas,
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Too much protein is a waste. In extreme amounts, too much protein is actually unhealthy and can leave you with a number of health issues over the long run.

I'm not saying your training program protein goal is wrong or is bollocks, but I am saying one should question such high targets to see if there is any actual science behind them driving your spending and eating habits.
  • lukepukenichols
    Options

Ah, in that case, what my coworker (a bodybuilder who is not trying to lose weight) does is cook a whole bunch of chicken (and sweet potato or brown rice) and eat it every two hours, and have some protein shakes for other meals. He uses whey but since this makes you break out, you could use pea protein or other non-whey powder. (Also try different brands?) He has four eggs plus oatmeal for breakfast.

He has about 350g of protein per day - 200-250 from food, and about 150 from supplements.

Ah, that sounds like a plan, I think I'm going to cook a weeks worth of chicken and sweet potato mash/quinoa and then freeze it in individual portions, then defrost it as I need it
  • lukepukenichols
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »
    Too much protein is a waste. In extreme amounts, too much protein is actually unhealthy and can leave you with a number of health issues over the long run.

I'm not saying your training program protein goal is wrong or is bollocks, but I am saying one should question such high targets to see if there is any actual science behind them driving your spending and eating habits.

I have been careful about this, but the guys who made my training programme (and the suggested protein intake) aren't endorsing any product, and in fact they often write about how fraudulent the fitness industry can been when it's using steroid-taking models to endorse a particular blend of whey which is basically a rip off...so I don't think this is a case of them saying eat and buy loads of our protein. However I do understand that macro calculators can be inaccurate and therefor will be quick to address any medical issues that pop up over the coming months. Thanks for your concern though
  • genki90
    genki90 Posts: 94 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »

This^
    Many people in this site seem to consider protein as the ultimate macro-god and increase their intake like there's no tomorrow. Everything in moderation guys!
  • CandiceMcD
    CandiceMcD Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    lentils, peas, tuna, cottage cheese, greek yogurt, eggs (although in the US these babies are going up!) - just make sure you have some with each meal.