Strength Training - Gym vs Home

Options
dmrm
dmrm Posts: 10 Member
Which strength training option is best?

35 year old female looking to lose 10lbs and tone up.

Currently doing workout videos at home for strength training days with Dumbbells (5, 8, 10 lbs).

Or would it be better to go to a gym for strength training and utilize the machines where I would be able to up the weights?

Replies

• Yoyo_Fitness
    Yoyo_Fitness Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Haven't been to the gym in ages but I have lost weight and gained strength by working out at home. My body fat % is over 10% less, which is great! Fitness Blender videos are great and there are also tons of workouts you can do using your own body weight. Good luck!
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I started off like you then wanted to progress with weights so joined the gym, I've bought a bench, barbell and plates to use at home when I can't get to the gym.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    The gym can be good to make friends and expand your network of fit friends.

We work out together on occasion, challenge or help each other. Last year we did a 90 day challenge for fat loss. There was an entry fee and 3 way split on the $$. So we have fun with it too.

It is a part of the life and culture change from fat to fit for me personally

I also like bike riding and am into a group that does that.

Home is ok but I am finding I like to do more things. All of those things fat me never did.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I've done both. I am actually more consistent with my exercise now that I have a barbell, plates, bench and squat rack in my basement. And we all know that consistency brings results...so for me, I vote home gym. That said, some people need the gym aspect. The variety, the socializing, etc. Good luck!
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    The best option is the one that you will stick with and that will allow consistent progression.

In other words if you don't have the equipment at home to continue to add weight then the gym is going to be better. For instance if the heaviest dumbell you have is 10 pounds you are not going to be able to progress when that weight gets easy to lift. You must continue to place greater stress on the muscle or it will have no reason to grow larger or become more efficient.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    dmrm wrote: »
    Which strength training option is best?

35 year old female looking to lose 10lbs and tone up.

Currently doing workout videos at home for strength training days with Dumbbells (5, 8, 10 lbs).

Or would it be better to go to a gym for strength training and utilize the machines where I would be able to up the weights?

I have noticed better power/strength and fat loss with the heavier weights. So, if you can complete a workout video with 8 lbs, up it to 10+ lbs. Also incorporate a full-body barbell routine like Strong Lifts 5 x 5 for great results.

(edit: Choose cable-type exercises if you decide on machines.)
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Unless you a increasing progressive resistance you'll quickly stop getting stronger (after a few sessions). What you'll end up doing is building muscular endurance.

If you want to work out at home and only have weights that go to 10lbs, then you're either going to have to

a) find a way of increasing the resistance consistently so that it can keep provoking a strength adaptation (i.e. do a bodyweight or minimal equipment routine); or

b) buy heavier equipment and start a suitable routine (barbell, plates, rack like MB mentioned doing).

If you can't (or don't want) to do either of these things, then you'll likely need to join a gym and keep using their equipment instead.

- for full disclosure: like MB, I own my own weight equipment. I have no desire for the social side of the gym. But that's me.
  • Pekkah73
    Pekkah73 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Whichever is best is the one you'll stick with!

Personally I prefer to work out at home. I have yard sale and free cycle weights, benches, and racks. I find I am more apt to make the time to excersize if its right there.

I have friends who just can't manage to regularly work out at home even though they have much more expensive equipment than I have. They need the gym environment to get motivated. Many gyms offer a short "trial" membership so you can give their facility a test run before making a long term commitment.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,395 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    The gym can be good to make friends and expand your network of fit friends.

We work out together on occasion, challenge or help each other. Last year we did a 90 day challenge for fat loss. There was an entry fee and 3 way split on the $$. So we have fun with it too.

It is a part of the life and culture change from fat to fit for me personally

I also like bike riding and am into a group that does that.

Home is ok but I am finding I like to do more things. All of those things fat me never did.

Nice crotch @professionalHobbyist

Also, OP, I think it's whatever going to get you working out. I personally hate working out at home and will find any excuse not to, so I go to the gym every morning before work. The only group fitness I do is spinning and yoga.
  • dmrm
    dmrm Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback :)
  • Cave_Goose
    Cave_Goose Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Knowing I paid for that month's gym membership and that I have a class to go to, gets me out of bed and to the gym. I'm too inconsistent with home workouts (except for my running regiment).