Body Pump Questions

Options
I have a tumblr and follow a lot of fitness blogs and most of them talk about this new thing call Body Pump. I did some research on it and found it was by the Les Mills Combat people which means it's intense.
I just want to know how intense it is and what advice you guys could have for someone that wants to give it a shot. Are there videos of it so I can do it at home or is it only a class from a gym? I know it's lifting which means I'll need protein but how much more protein should I eat to help my muscles repair and build? How much more water should I drink? I already drink almost a gallon a day and I drink sometimes more especially now that it's summer and I get dehydrated easily. Any answers would be greatly appreciated!
Oh some info on me: I do some working out already. I've done a bit of everything (Insanity, LMC, Jillian Michaels, 21 Day Fix, and some stuff of my own). I also eat somewhat healthy and I'm working on getting better at that..

Replies

• AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Hi Jwatson,

I've been taking Les Mills classes for years now (combat for years), but only started body pump two months ago.
    Compared to other Les Mills classes pump is less focused on endurance and more on strength, so you won't be super out of breath. It is really easy to get started in since you can determine the weight on the bar yourself. Since you do need quite some equipment for this class it might be easier to join a gym. I know there are dvd's available from beach body, but then you also need to buy the bar and weights.
    Personally I take the group class and like it that the instructor gives feedback on my form for the different exercises. You will get some muscle aches after the first few classes, but it is totally worth it. I loved realising after three weeks that my starting weight was getting too light for me and I could add extra weight!

Also, the pump dvd's are quite new, but pump as a group class has been around for years ;)
  • limetree683
    limetree683 Posts: 51 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I did Body Pump for a time some years back and really enjoyed it - it is really rewarding to see the weights go up with every workout, and it made a real difference to my body and fitness levels. I used to go 3 times a week. It's only really as intense as you make it, too. The first few times I only did 2/3 of the class as I used to have very low blood pressure and would feel faint/dizzy from from squats quite often, then as I improved, the weights increased and I could challenge myself to match weights with other participants.

You've asked a lot of questions about protein and water and whatnot - but how about going along and trying a class first? :smile: Just check it out at a gym and focus on form for the first couple of lessons using an empty or very low weight on the bar, instead of looking to increase the weight on the bar. That way you will protect yourself from injury as the weights get heavier if you decide to stick wit it. It's easier to take the class at the gym as they have all the equipment handy, and the coach can correct form errors personally which I've found really helpful though I guess you could do it at home using a video if you have all the stuff.

If you're only eating 'somewhat healthy' then maybe don't worry about protein requirements for a class you haven't taken yet, this is all small print stuff - focus on the big stuff like eating wholesome foods at a calorie deficit (if you are looking for weightloss).
  • North44
    North44 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the class tomorrow at my YMCA. If you are used to exercising and drinking water to hydrate it sounds like you are then I don't think you need to do anything special with protein or water. I don't!
  • jwatson1592
    jwatson1592 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    WOW Thanks for the advice you guys! I'll be joining a gym soon and they have a body pump class so I'll be giving it a try! thanks a lot!
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Have fun!
  • hedowl7
    hedowl7 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I love Body pump and do it 2/3 times a week. If you start the class - please measure your body! Dont just rely on the scales. I really lost inches but the scales hardly moved when I started and it was a bit disheartening! After a few weeks when I started (after mornings where I could hardly move) I managed to up my weights and I've not looked back. :smiley: