Back...only pregnant this time

Options
selfserve777
selfserve777 Posts: 2 Member
edited June 2015 in Introduce Yourself
Hi everyone,
Im 24 years old and a student. I have been on MFP before, and I found logging my foods very helpful. I was doing fine on my own, but now that I am pregnant (barely, only 3months), I find I am always hungry and ALWAYS eating very bad (fast) food. I downloaded the app because I know that logging will help me make better, healthier choices for me and baby. I look forward to giving/receiving lots of support on here, best of luck to you all!

Replies

• BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Good luck!! Just make sure that you've got MFP set to at least maintenance. It's a GREAT idea to plan to make healthy choices for you and baby and to keep an eye on your overall intake, but pregnancy isn't the time for a calorie deficit (except in certain extreme, closely medically supervised cases). Talk with your doctor about what the best calorie goal is for you. Welcome back!
  • Bctyummum
    Bctyummum Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Congratulations & good luck x
  • nicole0725
    nicole0725 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yay! Good luck! I am almost 18 weeks pregnant and just started mfp again!
  • jctk0419
    jctk0419 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you! I agree to keep your goal at at least maintaining weight, or at whatever setting is recommended by your doc. Give yourself the grace to enjoy anything you might be craving, balancing it with getting decent nutrition overall. I'm on the other end of the pregnancy journey myself, having gotten back to my pre-pregnancy weight, wanting to slowly get to a healthy weight, and breastfeeding at the same time.
  • Julesrae456
    Julesrae456 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I'm in the same boat (3 months ) and have got this app again! Good luck to you!
  • selfserve777
    selfserve777 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    jctk0419 wrote: »
    Good luck to you! I agree to keep your goal at at least maintaining weight, or at whatever setting is recommended by your doc. Give yourself the grace to enjoy anything you might be craving, balancing it with getting decent nutrition overall. I'm on the other end of the pregnancy journey myself, having gotten back to my pre-pregnancy weight, wanting to slowly get to a healthy weight, and breastfeeding at the same time.

I agree I haven't met with my ob yet, so I am not sure as to how much I should gain. So for now I am set at maintenance. I love that you mentioned sloooowly getting back. After my first little peanut was born I rushed my weight loss, and played the up down game with my weight for the last few years. Going to try it the right way this time!! :smile: )
  • e_elizb
    e_elizb Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I'm also pregnant, about 14 weeks. I'm really hoping to only gain 15-20 lbs during the pregnancy. I'm doing well so far. Only have gained 2! Would love some motivation to be a fit mo!
  • bseniza
    bseniza Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Pregnant also. I set it to maintenance plus 300 calories since I'm in the second trimester. I noticed I get less hungry when I really watch my grams of sugar (including from fruit, trying to limit to 3 small servings). Gained 50+ lbs with my last pregnancy despite not eating junk food and walking regularly and had possible pre-eclampsia by the middle of my third trimester. It also took me about 3 years to get the extra weight off (I gained even more from breastfeeding/ sitting all day). This time I want to keep it under 25. I love tracking my nutrients though. It makes me eat more foods with potassium, iron, and calcium and less with sugar, high in carbs (eating whole grains/ sweet potatoes, maybe 4-6 small portions a day). It's impossible to get enough iron though. Pregnant women are supposed to get like 150% the iron of a non-pregnant woman. I guess that's what the prenatal is for. I've gained like 6 lbs and I'm at 16 1/2 weeks. Not perfect, but it's probably better than where I'd be without keeping track. Pregnancy just makes me so hungry. Eating protein, raw veggies and measured portions of nuts instead of tons of fruit like I did last pregnancy is helping though. I read somewhere that your body tries to raise its sugar during pregnancy so that the baby has a constant supply from your bloodstream. The resulting hormones in your body from the raised sugar make it easier to gain weight during pregnancy than ever. And the more weight over the guidelines you gain, the more likely pregnancy complications are.. So in my own mind, its more important than ever to be careful about your diet. Definitely not the time to be less disciplined. Although your caloric intake allowance is higher, so is your hunger so it still feels like mild dieting to me even though I'm snacking waaay more on healthy things like nuts, carrots, bell peppers, hummus, cucumbers, turkey, etc and eating way more calories than I usually would. (Before this, I was dieting with like a 500 calorie deficit, so I've added like 800 more calories.)