weight training

Options
Hi I'm Interested in weight training but haven't got a clue where to start any ideas?

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Do you have gym access? Or home equipment?
  • halldron17
    halldron17 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I can get to a gym, don't have any weights just kettlebells at home. Usually just do cardio.
  • randomtai
    Options
    Start with a beginner progressive training program such as Stronglifts 5X5, Starting Strength, or New Rules of Lifting for Women. All of those can be googled for the details. The last 2 are in a book form if that is your cup of tea.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    yep, Strong Lifts 5x5 (very basic, simple program, good for beginners) or Starting Strength.....
  • halldron17
    Options
    Thanks will have a look.
  • magnolia416
    magnolia416 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    If you have a gym membership you should be able to get a bit of free advice from someone who works there. I got a demo for a 20 minute weights circuit and a checklist. It takes a bit of trial and error to see how much weight is best for you for the different muscle groups. Sometimes you won't know until hours after if you over-did it!

Here are some beginner tips:

It's important to do weights and not just cardio, I'm struggling with that myself! I exercise a lot but my muscle mass isn't increasing because I sometimes do "too much cardio"
  • randomtai
    Options
    If you have a gym membership you should be able to get a bit of free advice from someone who works there. I got a demo for a 20 minute weights circuit and a checklist. It takes a bit of trial and error to see how much weight is best for you for the different muscle groups. Sometimes you won't know until hours after if you over-did it!

No it doesn't in a proper training program.
  • cbills65
    cbills65 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    If you can get the book The New Rules of Lifting for Women it will tell you everything you ever wanted to know about lifting and how to do it the right way along with how to eat to maximize results. Excellent and easy read. I got it as an ebook on my kindle so I could read it on my phone whenever and wherever.

For what it's worth, I was all cardio girl for as far back as I can remember. But once I started lifting I fell in love and haven't looked back. Cardio is still necessary but lifting is where you change your body. Cardio is great for your heart health and overall endurance. Hit me up if you have any questions. I'm always happy to help out!
  • loconnor466
    loconnor466 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I started with NROL4W and liked it, but as the stages progressed, the workouts were getting lengthy, and I will be honest, I missed the big compound lifts! So I switched to Strongifts 5x5 and love it. Basic, with great results. I do some auxiliary work around it. Here on MFP do a search for groups about lifting, read some threads, read some books, and just get started!
  • halldron17
    Options
    Thanks everyone.
  • lizzocat
    lizzocat Posts: 356 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I would really suggest starting with a trainer- even if it's just a couple times so he / she can show you some proper techniques. I really would have had no idea what I was doing if not for my trainer