Toning and PROTEIN.

Options
Is there anything I should be doing to help with toning up?

Some background, I have a tiny frame, I weight 111-115 depending on the day, and I'm like 5'6" or something. I eat as healthily as possible, as often as possible. I eat a lot of fruit, and almost always hit my protein goals even though I only eat fish (no other meats yay!). I'm starting to see a little definition on my arms so maybe I'm just impatient? I've been at this for 5 months now.

Thoughts? Advice? I hear your body can only absorb so much protein so I'd like to avoid overdoing it and getting into that cycle of relying on protein shakes, etc. just to keep lean muscle mass.

Replies

• jen31889
    jen31889 Posts: 121
    Options
    Are you going by what MFP set as your protein goals? MFP sets them extremely low.
  • doobabe
    doobabe Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Agreed- MFP is way low for protein and fiber, both.
    I aim for 1g of protein for every 1lb of my target weight - but I work out every day.
    Toning comes from weights/ strength training almost entirely. Good luck!
  • skinnyhappy
    skinnyhappy Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Good to know, there are definitely days where I go waaaaaay over. And yeah I'm going by what MFP sets...think I should change the ratios?
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    At your weight, you should get between 80 and 100g protein per day. Divide them up through they day for optimal absorption, and get protein in within 30 minutes of your workout.
  • eamconnor
    eamconnor Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Are you going by what MFP set as your protein goals? MFP sets them extremely low.

Low?? It was a revelation to me getting on this site how much protein I supposedly need. I really have to plan carefully to get enough protein, to come anywhere close to the MFP protein goals. How do y'all do it?
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    I have mine set to 30% carbs, 35% protein and 35% fat. If you don't eat meat and you need more protein, opt for a protein shake. Theres a couple tasty ones out there.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Good to know, there are definitely days where I go waaaaaay over. And yeah I'm going by what MFP sets...think I should change the ratios?

I would raise it to 80-90 grams per day. To help with definition(which is what toning really is) I would add more weight to any weight training or machines you are doing. Don't worry as you wont get big as women are very low in Testosterone production which is what helps build muscle.

Protein shake upon waking of Whey protein, then try to take in protein from other natural sources thoughout the day. The only problem with a diet built around fish is the super high mercury content in most fish. In a vegan style diet it is even worse off.

Maybe through in some chicken, eggs, small serving of steak if you are not vegan and then pre bed time take in a Casein shake.

I would tell you to pair each meal with some greens to fill you up. If you want a diet plan or help with a very firm and not so flexible diet plan let me know.

Are you trying to loose more weight at this point because even at your height 111 is pretty thin.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options

Low?? It was a revelation to me getting on this site how much protein I supposedly need. I really have to plan carefully to get enough protein, to come anywhere close to the MFP protein goals. How do y'all do it?

I agree! I have only ever hit my MFP protein target twice in 5 months. I was taught humans only need a matchbox sized amount of protein a day, any more is broken down and stored as fat. I don't know where this 1g per pound idea comes from, even on sports training sites the highest figure I have found is 0.5g per pound.
  • mlemonroe2
    mlemonroe2 Posts: 603
    Options
    I just read in Womens Health you should "eat between 0.54 and 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight. Base this on your goal weight. So if you want to weigh 130 pounds you should eat 70 to 130 grams of protein a day" So you should have somewhere between 60 and 115 grams. It also says " every time you eat 10 to 15 grams of protein, you stimulate a burst of protein synthesis that helps build muscle and when you take in 30 grams, that period lasts about 3 hours." It says you should eat a carb and protien both before and after a workout!

ps quoting right from the mag
  • MaryW1962
    MaryW1962 Posts: 23
    Options
    I'm not sure how you are weight training but here's something you can try. Most people don't lift enough weight. If you want to build your muscles then you should be lifting enough weight that you can only get through about 12 reps with that weight. Do 12 reps then take a short break then do 12 more. Take a short break then go down a little on your weight ( say from 15 lb. weights to 12lb. weights) and lift those until you can't possibly do another one. Do this for all your major muscles and that should do the trick! Good luck!
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options

I agree! I have only ever hit my MFP protein target twice in 5 months. I was taught humans only need a matchbox sized amount of protein a day, any more is broken down and stored as fat. I don't know where this 1g per pound idea comes from, even on sports training sites the highest figure I have found is 0.5g per pound.

My old personal trainer always said that you need protein to build and repair muscle. I have watched and read many documentaries and articles supporting this. Also, in the same articles it says that you really only need about 100 grams of carbs a day to function and anything more, if you dont use up the energy, will turn into fat. If you lower your carb intake, your protein and fat in take increases.
  • skinnyhappy
    Options
    I eat a lot of greek yogurt (12g already for this morning!) and I eat a lot of lentils, quinoa, nuts, etc.

As for fish and mercury, I'm picky. I ONLY want wild fish when possible, helps make sure my fishies aren't eating corn like the farm-raised ones. How is that a natural diet?

I also have a thing for peanut butter, helps with protein, too.

And NO I do NOT want to lose more weight, I would just like a little definition.

And to the person who asks how we/I hit my protein goals, I don't even think about it! I just make sure I'm getting something like a Luna Protein bar (not super often, too much sugar), and something like greek yogurt or a big handful of whole natural almonds or walnuts. If I'm ever low on protein for the day I just scramble two eggs in the microwave. Easy peasy.
  • skinnyhappy
    Options
    So work until your breaking point, essentially? I've heard doing that and lifting SLOWLY is much better than quick reps over and over again.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options

My old personal trainer always said that you need protein to build and repair muscle. I have watched and read many documentaries and articles supporting this. Also, in the same articles it says that you really only need about 100 grams of carbs a day to function and anything more, if you dont use up the energy, will turn into fat. If you lower your carb intake, your protein and fat in take increases.

You do need protein for muscle repair, but not very much. Not nearly as much as most westerners eat. You aren't going to build muscle any faster by eating more protein, that is fixed by the rate at which you are damaging it by exercising (which is how you build muscle). Unless you are lifting heavy weights every day, you don't need more than a matchbox sized amount of protein a day. You do however need carbs if you are doing a lot of cardio/endurance.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    So work until your breaking point, essentially? I've heard doing that and lifting SLOWLY is much better than quick reps over and over again.

Higher weight. Lesser sets more reps then as the weight goes up the reps come down. Also google DROP SETS. Do this once every few weeks per body part at the end of your workout.