No willpower

Options

Replies

• csrawl
    csrawl Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I go through the same things. I have good days/weeks then fall off the wagon. I know that I need to get into a better lifestyle but I need encouragement.
  • Ladiebug710
    Ladiebug710 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    For me saying no completely doesn't work. I just obsess about something and binge first opportunity. What does help is portion control. 100 calorie packs of cookies or the 1 serving cartons of ice cream keep the serving size in check. They cost a little more but for me it is worth it.
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,259 Member
    Options
    There are several things you can try all of which seem to be listed above. Don’t keep the foods that you have trouble with around, account for it in you logs, log it before you bite it, have it but in smaller quantities, have a cheat day that includes those foods, all of which are good. However, the bottom line is you have to have self-control, hold yourself accountable and reward yourself for proper behavior. We have our Achilles, it’s how we react to them which makes or breaks us.
    You can do it.
  • Kathy379
    Kathy379 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thank you
  • Kathy379
    Options
    This is all very good advice, I will definitely try harder and use your tips. Thanks :)
  • tretoptreece
    tretoptreece Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Kathy379 wrote: »
    so, I had a decent day, I worked out earlier, ran for a while. And also took a walk this evening. However.. I blew it all by eating junk. Just had a cookie and some ice cream. I mean, why can't I stop myself?

I have been the same way. It's all about accountability and being true to yourself. Everyone has those days at some point, just set your mind to get over it and move on even if it's for the next meal. Don't dwell on a few extra calories to ruin your whole day. When I get that way I will even put what I ate on the next day and stay strict with the following day. If that makes sense? Best wishes to you! You can do this!
  • JMC3Terp
    JMC3Terp Posts: 2,803 Member
    Options
    most of what I'm gonna say was already said. But I had the same problem for years.
    1) Don't buy what you shouldn't eat. I love coca cola. I would buy it while dieting intending to just drink a little every once in awhile. Then I would drink 2 gallons in one sitting. So I don't buy or drink it anymore. Furthermore, I try not to buy a bunch of food. By having less in the house, I am less likely to "pig out".
    2) Pre log everything. If you prelog, you will see how much you are eating and can make a conscious choice on eating less when necessary.
    3) It's stupid, but drink a lot of water. I drink 12 to 14 cups a day and it helps with not eating when I shouldn't.
    4) personally, I like eating small meals often. I eat 5 to 6 times a day. usually breakfast, then a snack every 2.5 to 3 hours, then dinner. It helps me eat less and keep my metabolism going.
    5) WILLPOWER. You have to be strong enough not to give into your urges. It's not easy. Probably took me 10 years to get serious enough.
  • dfranch
    dfranch Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I usually plan what I'm having for dinner a day in advance. I pre-enter the calories for dinner. I usually have some sort of fruit for an evening snack. you can eat an obscene amount of fruit for 2-300 calories. If there is a high calorie dessert I want, I pre-enter that as well. that tells me how many calories I have left over for lunch (I don't eat breakfast). It takes pre-planning, but it has worked well for me. I'm sure I wouldn't have been successful if I waited until after I ate to record my meals.
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    Pre log
    Be more mindful
    Take responsibility for what you eat.
    Fuel your workouts properly
    Be hydrated.

Exactly this^^
  • Suzmp88
    Suzmp88 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    OP - I think you are normal to want food after exercise. There are studies that show exercise can increase appetite, and you are more likely to reward yourself (often with food) for a job well done exercising.

It helps me to workout before a meal that I already have pre-planned (so usually after work and before dinner) and it has to be something I want or else I'll convince myself to go to that Chick-fil-a across the street from my gym. This is also where minimal effort recipes come in handy so good food is easy and not another excuse to eat something quick. If this timing isn't ideal then have a go-to snack: 1/2 cup of milk, or almonds, pickles, cheese sticks. I also agree with previous posters, try not to have the junk stuff in your house, but snacks you like and won't deplete all of your exercise cals.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    I find pre-logging (seeing what the impact is before I have something) is very powerful help if I'm tempted to make a bad choice.

Ice cream is probably the only "junk food" we ever have here. We don't stock soda, chips, cookies or anything of that nature - never have - so it isn't a stretch for me to rationalise that I don't really need that bowl of ice cream and the calories it contains. Substituting is one approach that can work for many: it'd be better to have some Greek yogurt with fresh or frozen blueberries since it's both tasty and has a better macro profile than ice cream.

I disagree with the notion that denying one's self is a bad approach especially if we look at what we are denying ourselves in context. The human body doesn't need Oreos. Or Ice Cream. If this is about developing life long habits I question whether someone can develop a life long habit to restrict their junk-food eating desires to one single 100 calorie package of junk food a day. For a life time. What happens when resolve breaks down?

It only seems logical to me to change that habit. Make the cookies a rare treat, not a daily occurrence.

Healthier foods can be a problem too. A spoonful of peanut butter could tempt me but I've not had that in ... eons ... despite keeping a ready supply of natural peanut butter on hand for the rest of the family. One look at the calorie count (essentially pre-logging in my head) is enough for me to switch that part of my brain off. A substitution works too: I find I get a lot more enjoyment, and fewer calories, out of a palm sized serving of whole almonds than I do from the peanut butter.

Keeping the junk food out of the home is a sensible first step but don't stop there. Examine the healthier foods that can be problematic sources of calories and be sure you have a strategy for those too. Pre-log.
  • hamelle2
    hamelle2 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I know I can eat anything within my calorie limit but I have learned if I choose sugary sweets I will suffer for it. Increased appetite and the desire to binge. It's just not worth starting over...and over...and over. Lol
  • rebbylicious
    rebbylicious Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    When you know that you have no willpower and cannot say "no" to certain foods then find a way to get them. I tell myself that I can have x food as long as I earn enough calories to eat it. If you are going out to dinner go workout and add 500+ calories to your daily availability so you can eat guilt free. It feels less like "i need to eat as much of this while I'm at it because i can't later" rather than "I can enjoy this meal because I already worked out and will still have calories to spare when I go to bed".

I need to eat after I work out too. I stop at the grocery store and pick up an apple , sometimes stuff to make a caprese salad, or some skinny cow ice cream bars. ;) Tell yourself "if I am still hungry after this I will allow myself a naughty snack" but usually you will find yourself satisfied with real whole foods like cheeses, nuts, and fruit. I have to drive past mcdonalds on my way home from the gym and you know how often i have to talk to myself to keep myself from turning into it? ugh Play tricks with your mind, if you tell it "never" it will crave it more.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    No food is bad, but if you are overeating and going over your calories on certain foods, I'd say try to only keep 1-2 of these items on hand at a time. When you finish those up, buy some different treats.
  • Kathy379
    Options
    Thanks for all the helpful replies. I don't buy bad foods for my own home, it's the boyfriends place where I end up eating bad things. Asking him not to buy those foods isn't an option (I haven't asked, and don't really want to..) I just need to find my willpower and resist them. Because they will be everywhere in life, not just at his place. Plus, I do allow myself a little bit of most foods, I don't want to cut things out entirely and have myself crave it more. I don't drink soda or eat fast food so those aren't issues. A little history.. I used to be extremely fit and followed a very clean eating plan and had a very healthy lifestyle. I worked out an average of 5 days a week and was very fit. I had no issues with eating. I had to stop working out entirely after an injury that has lasted years (still not recovered but improved a bit..) and when that happened I got depressed and the whole thing went to *kitten*. I started eating bad and gained about 30 lbs. So now I am trying to undo the damage and get back on track. Wish me luck! I hope I can have the proper mindset to get myself where I want to be. :)
  • Kathy379
    Options
    Having all this support from you guys and tips/suggestions on things to do are much appreciated!!
  • Kathy379
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I also think I need to start weighing my food again. That is one thing I used to do but haven't started doing again yet. I'll start this evening. Maybe once I can see the portions and see if I'm overeating I'll be more focused to stay on track when temptations arise.
  • maggieobc
    maggieobc Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I saw someone on reddit suggest stating out loud what you are about to do before you do it "I am about to eat these five cookies. That will be 600 calories."
    I also think that if you've having a craving, wait 15 minutes and if you're still craving it, have a serving size, put or throw the rest away.
    Oh! And brush your teeth when you're done eating for the day. Makes eating anything after that feel and taste gross.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Oooh! I like that "saying it out loud" bit.

I was also going to say, try taking your own approved treats over to the BF's house so you're not so tempted with his.
  • sbantonio
    sbantonio Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Hang in there. That was me before I had a wake up moment. BEFORE & AFTER shots.

7wmmkemcuvsn.jpg