Scared to take a day off?

Options
deniseg31
deniseg31 Posts: 667 Member
Hi there! I hope everyone is well. :bigsmile:

I have a question for you guys...when you are on a roll do you find that you have a hard time taking a day off from working out? I find that recently I feel the NEED to work out because I can already imagine the pounds creeping back on and I don't want that. Or do you think it's Motivation that's driving me to feel the need to work out?

I have taken a few days off here and there not by choice and I swear I feel my cheeks swelling back up when I don't work out. :frown:

Replies

• MarsMum
    MarsMum Posts: 11
    Options
    Im always scared to take a day off because I wont want to start up again!
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I totally get stressed on my day off, especially when I am making good progress. I'm afraid if I skip the gym or walking the dogs that I'll lose that edge I have right now. Part of it is because in the past I have been in good physical shape and I ended up slacking off and losing all my muscle tone and gaining weight. I never want that to happen again!
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    It's a feeling many of us stifle.. and it's a fallacy. Your body needs four things for proper health: food, exercise, water and rest. Rest is just as important as the other three. If you take care of your body properly, it won't feel starved, exhausted or dehydrated. When it feels those things, survival mode kicks in and the pounds stay stubbornly on. You'll do better inserting one whole rest day in your regimen.
  • maleva720
    maleva720 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Congrats on meeting your mini goal!!! Since the nice weather is here I have been walking every night and if I dont get to go for whatever reason I feel the same way as you. Keep up the good work!
  • heather7marie
    heather7marie Posts: 506 Member
    Options

I'm the same way. I try to take a day off here and there, so I'm not overdoing it. It freaks me out though, because I'm scared I won't start back up. If I don't take a day off occassionally, I try to just do something really light on what would be an off day. That way I'm still doing something, even if it's only a short stroll.
  • Joanne4494
    Joanne4494 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I feel exactley the same I sometimes guilt myself into going to the gym because I feel like my legs feel huge, im finding that im looking at the calories on everything and thinking oh I can't have that if im not going to the gym but it won't even be that high im getting a bit obsessed I think. :)
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    my back is hurting and i was gonna drive to work today but after reading this i think ill mount up on the bicycle anyways ..... thanks for the motivation
  • sla0814
    sla0814 Posts: 240
    Options
    It's healthy to take a day off and it's actually a great time for your body to rest. If you're sticking to your healthy eating on that day off, then don't worry!

On the different side of things, congrats that you got to that point of feeling guilty! It sounds weird but better to feel guilty then to not feeling guilty and take 6 days off of working out or working out "when you feel like it."

Keep up the great work!

God bless
  • drosario1204
    Options

I feel the same way! I say..work out when you can, dont take days off just for the heck of it. Obviously if life gets in the way then theres nothing you can do about it but make sure your working out the next day or so..so you dont get out of the habbit
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    I take one day off and thats my low calorie day (i zig zag my calories) because I only eat 1100 calories on that day. If i goofed and went over, then I will work out and do Insanity. I fear NOT working out. Heck, even on my off day I still do 40 flights of stairs.
  • hyperlite
    hyperlite Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've found that my motivation to make myself eat well is linked closely to my exercise plan. Whenever I take a break from the exercise plan for any reason I also start eating poorly.

Maybe the key is to just do something really simple on the off days like a long walk. That shouldn't affect your ability to recover.

Good Luck.
  • shelld70
    shelld70 Posts: 106
    Options
    I have the same fear. I have been sick this week and haven't been able to go to the gym. It does scare me that maybe I am getting out of the habit of going. And each day it will be easier and easier to put it off. But I am still eating healthy and taking care of myself. I am told that your body needs rest and taking 1 or 2 days of a week is good.

Good luck to you!
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    Whatever it takes to get fit, do it. You don't have to have a day off, just always change it up some.
  • toadiejones
    toadiejones Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way. I took yesterday off and it was a mistake as I feel really slug-like today. I should have at least gone for a walk. Not missing today.
  • kate2004rock
    kate2004rock Posts: 223 Member
    Options

I feel the same--I had a day off yesterday, because I just had so much going on, and I KNOW that I need to get to bed before 10 to get up at 5...so I had to take the necessity of REST seriously as well. But I am going to make sure. Hopefully my MFP friends will make sure I went today--plus I have Day 3 of Week 1 of Couch to 5k to finish!
  • HolleeERL
    HolleeERL Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    It's a feeling many of us stifle.. and it's a fallacy. Your body needs four things for proper health: food, exercise, water and rest. Rest is just as important as the other three. If you take care of your body properly, it won't feel starved, exhausted or dehydrated. When it feels those things, survival mode kicks in and the pounds stay stubbornly on. You'll do better inserting one whole rest day in your regimen.

I totally agree with this!!! Also, you will most likely have a better workout day after you've rested. I know after a good rest, I normally kick but on my running the next time around.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options

I totally agree with this!!! Also, you will most likely have a better workout day after you've rested. I know after a good rest, I normally kick but on my running the next time around.

+1
  • parvati
    parvati Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I learned this lesson the hard way....

I too used to refuse to take a day off, I was motivated, in the zone, a little exercise OCD... Was reaching goals & pushing through them! I wasn't tired & I didn't want to stop for even one day!!

Then, during a workout (& nothing crazy) I heard a loud pop & felt a horrible pain in me calf, I actually screamed out... When I looked down it lookedlike there was a golf ball sitting under my skin.
    I ruptured my soleous muscle, it is the calf muscle right under your gastrocnemius. I was on crutches for 6 weeks & in physiotherapy for months.
    It was a long painful slow healing process in which time, I could not work out for 6 months.... Even after 6 months it took a long time to get one of my normal workouts in. So please everyone, every 4 days take a day of rest... Your body needs it & that is whenyou will seeyou gains as well!
  • doobabe
    doobabe Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Yeah- I am basically a freak when it comes to working out. I literally have a small meltdown if I cant, or even if I dont have time to get a good one in that day. I take Sundays off as a rule, so I am ok with that, but any other day................ not so much. I have always been that way though- Stubborn a a Mule as my grandpa would say lol

So- I would suggest setting a day aside as a rest day. If you plan on it every week, you will eventually look forward to the rest and be able to work out that much harder the next day. Trust me. :o)

We need rest just as much as we need exercise!
  • auri77
    auri77 Posts: 39
    Options
    what are sw? & cw?