Exercise bike recommendations?

Options
Hello all, can anyone recommend a model of exercise bike that doesn't cost the earth? I want to exercise at home but don't know where to start. My preference is for something fairly compact as I live in a flat, so the bike would be in my living room! There are so many on the market I don't know where to begin. Not bothered by monitors, music players or gimmicks... Just a sturdy piece of equipment that does what it says. Thanks for advice :-)

Replies

• gainer39911
    gainer39911 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    If you have or are willing to buy a bicycle, you can get a training stand for it. That way you can ride indoors and out. The training stand itself takes up little space. Prices range from under $100 to much more. I would recommend getting a bicycle computer (speedometer/odometer) and mount that on the bike. That way you can track you speed/distance. I use a heart rate monitor as well.
  • beccaamycoward
    beccaamycoward Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks I never knew those existed! Might be worth a look :-)
  • twistygirl
    twistygirl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I have an upright stationary bike and I like it a lot it have several 30 minute programs from beginner to advanced. I suggest you go to the gym for a free pass with a friend and do a test on a upright and recumbent bike to see which one you like the best. I also have a outdoor bike but I have a garage and space to store it. You have to consider space as well if you don't have a lot of space to store it I would recommend the advice from gainer39911 that way it will be more functional.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    If you have or are willing to buy a bicycle, you can get a training stand for it. That way you can ride indoors and out. The training stand itself takes up little space. Prices range from under $100 to much more. I would recommend getting a bicycle computer (speedometer/odometer) and mount that on the bike. That way you can track you speed/distance. I use a heart rate monitor as well.

You beat me to it.....

• Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Try your good friend Craig (Craigslist) right now is usually when the, "resolutioners," (The people who swear up and down that they are going to lose weight this year and HAVE to start January 1) are getting rid of all their exercise stuff they bought in January and haven't touched since then. When it says, "Like New," It usually is right now.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Well if you want sturdy, we have the Lemond RevMaster. It's held up great but takes up a bit of room. I like spin bikes because I occasionally take spin classes at the gym.
  • CATHYGAYM
    CATHYGAYM Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Try your good friend Craig (Craigslist) right now is usually when the, "resolutioners," (The people who swear up and down that they are going to lose weight this year and HAVE to start January 1) are getting rid of all their exercise stuff they bought in January and haven't touched since then. When it says, "Like New," It usually is right now.

I agree we got ours off kijji $150 for a bike that retails on sale for $500. So far like it alot. It's a "It's concept " bike compatible with an I phone or I pad but works great without them. First owner only used it a couple of times.