changing my rate of loss

Options
Hi everyone

I have decided to change my rate of loss from 1.5lbs to 1lbs a week due to the fact that if o don't exercise I struggle keeping to calories and not going over, however even though I know this is a normal thing to do I can't help feeling like I've let myself down, I should be able to keep myself tp 1400 calories? I'll try it this week and see wat happens, anyone else on 1lb a loss a week ?

Replies

• lindaloo1213
    lindaloo1213 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I am considering changing mine that way as well. I am fairly close to where I want to be and honestly I feel like giving myself a bit more may make me feel a lot more satisfied at the end of the day and make this more sustainable for the long run.
    The only factor I can see is it gives me a smaller margin for error. There are just certain foods I cant be 100% accurate on (like dinners out, foods others prepared etc) but Thats not often.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone

I have decided to change my rate of loss from 1.5lbs to 1lbs a week due to the fact that if o don't exercise I struggle keeping to calories and not going over, however even though I know this is a normal thing to do I can't help feeling like I've let myself down, I should be able to keep myself tp 1400 calories? I'll try it this week and see wat happens, anyone else on 1lb a loss a week ?

I lost most of my weight set to 0.5lbs a week

I have lost 54lbs and maintained for a few months (actually I dropped another lb this morning but didn't want to)

so stop kicking yourself for nothing

the rate of loss is not as important as the learning curve

because time passes .. and you will get there
  • leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    oh thanks for this hun, thats nice to hear. and great to hear youve lost all your weight on 0.5! can i add you as a friend?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone

for me, the goal is to eat as much as possible and still lose weight... if a 1lb deficit is easier to stick to, then do that, life is way too short to struggle every day just to keep a massive deficit. do what you can stick to long term, you'll get better results in the long run.

I am only on a dinky deficit of 0.5lb per week to lose the last couple of pounds.
  • Lebatsirk
    Lebatsirk Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I see it as progress if I'm not gaining. I've been on this journey for 18 months now and have lost 3½ stone, which still leaves me with at least two more to go. But... even when I'm not focusing or I'm taking a bit of a break, my habits have changed enough that I can keep my weight stable (within 2-3lbs). I see this as real progress, because it reassures me that when I do reach goal I won't pile it all back on again. Slow and steady is better than fast and regaining, and if it's easier to continue at a 1lb a week loss, do that and it'll keep coming off :smiley:

Great work so far btw!
  • breathebelievejen
    breathebelievejen Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I think that's a sensible approach- long term maintenance is far more important than dropping weight drastically but ballooning back up. It's definitely worth experimenting with your calorie allowance. Please don't feel like you've let yourself down- slow and steady is not a bad thing and you've already lost an amazing amount of weight! Keep it up lovely and good luck!
  • leahcollett1
    Options
    thanks everyone i shall try it this week, your right! no point in struggling day by day :)
  • CupcakeQueen86
    CupcakeQueen86 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, I've stopped losing weight for the past 2 weeks, any advice? I'm 5'7, sw 12.13, cw 11.11, ideal weight 10 stones. I don't exercise at the moment.
  • leahcollett1
    Options
    there could be lots of factors - weighing everything? logging accuratley not cheating yourself - then womens hormones, as everyone says you dont lose every week really last week i only lost 0.5lbs i was set to 1.5lbs and i didnt do anything wrong - its just one of them things
  • leahcollett1
    Options
    if you made your diary public people could give you some tips
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, I've stopped losing weight for the past 2 weeks, any advice? I'm 5'7, sw 12.13, cw 11.11, ideal weight 10 stones. I don't exercise at the moment.

@CupcakeQueen86
    there's threads ad nauseum on this which is just proof that

1) Weight loss is not linear .. even when you do everything right there are stalls, increases and whooshes as you drop massively week on week

2) Scale weight can be affected by natural fluctuations in water weight which will mask any fat loss
    - change-up in exercise
    - extra sodium in diet
    - hormones across the month - around ovulation and menstruation

Do not let a stall worry you .. just keep on keeping on .. if you stall for 6-8 weeks consistently then look at your logging of foods and exercise and tighten it up
  • CupcakeQueen86
    Options
    Hey thanks for the advice, I will definitely keep that in mind. I guess as long as im eating okay I shouldn't worry too much. Need to start exercises
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I think my rate has changed naturally without much conscious planning on my part. When I was heavier, I was losing faster on 1400 calories. With my weight significantly decreased and my BMR going down, that same calorie goal will not produce the same deficit. I'm also more comfortable now with the occasional day over or at maintenance than I was before. I was losing at 2 lbs/week for probably 4-5 months, then a while at 1 lb/week. Now I'm at roughly 0.5 lb/week. I've got probably 20 more lbs to go so it seems like it may take a while, but I'm perfectly okay with that. I no longer focus on what I'll look like at goal, but how I feel now. And that makes me smile.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    I'm on a 0.5 weight loss, I've only have about 15 lbs to lose. I could go more aggressive to 1 lb a week but why torture myself??? I'm in no rush, I'd rather lose the weight in a sensible way.
  • CupcakeQueen86
    Options
    I think im probably losing 0.5 lbs a week but my scale doesn't show as it moves every two pounds
  • G33K_G1RL
    G33K_G1RL Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    All good advice, no need to rush.

Another approach would be to increase your calories directly instead of reducing your goal. Increasing by 100-200 calories means getting a ~ 1.2 lbs a week of weight loss and that might be your sweet spot for a while. Nothing says you need to jump directly from 1.5 to 1 lbs a week.

Just a thought :)
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    1 pound a week is the way to go IMO.

I have been losing a pound a week for over 6 months now, and have lost almost 30 pounds so far.
  • G33K_G1RL
    G33K_G1RL Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    bcalvanese wrote: »
    1 pound a week is the way to go IMO.

I have been losing a pound a week for over 6 months now, and have lost almost 30 pounds so far.

6 months and 2 weeks, and 28 pounds... deja vu, lol!
  • leahcollett1
    Options
    aww thanks everyone, has anyone found that they can lose more than a 1lb even though thats their rate of loss?
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    aww thanks everyone, has anyone found that they can lose more than a 1lb even though thats their rate of loss?

I weigh myself pretty much daily, and have noticed that my weight fluctuates up to 2 pounds up or down. I think that is normal but over the weeks, my weight has gone down about a pound a week.

just stay in the ball park, and as long as you are headed in the right direction, you'll be fine.