I'm all muscle. And my doctor tells me I'm much heavier than I should be.

Options
2»

Replies

• 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    There has to be a balance between BF% and BMI. If your body fat is high, you are unhealthily overweight. If your BF% has been taken professionally and is low, that's great, but it doesn't also mean you are not overweight.
  • tretoptreece
    tretoptreece Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Punch him in the face, just kidding. I like what the one post said about athletes are not included in the BMI statistics. I do low carb for the most part and I have been a lot smaller in inches than in weight. Some people just don't get that.
  • royaldrea
    royaldrea Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    What he says sounds harsh and rude, but he may have just meant that you fall within the "very overweight" category on the BMI. Those words have negative connotations but they mean a specific thing in that context.

That said, and like the smart people above have said, the BMI becomes less and less useful when a person is very muscular. If you are very muscular, being "overweight" or "obese" on the BMI doesn't mean that you are unhealthy or have a lot of fat.

THAT said (and like some smart people above have said), I don't think we're in the position to validate your feeling that you're athletic and not fat, because we have been given so little information. You say that you're an athlete and are all muscle, but your perception may not be the reality. If it is not the reality, you may switch doctors to get away from the mean guy, and find yourself in a similar situation.

I've never had an ED so I can't empathize, but is there some technique you can use to strengthen your resolve when you're confronted with difficult situations? Whatever the case, don't backslide. If you're healthy, stay healthy. Keep at it and don't allow a comment to compromise your progress and your peace of mind.

Wishing you health and success!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Wanna give your stats OP?
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    What is your BF% ? Height? Weight?
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    focus on your bodyfat percentage, not bmi.

My BMI is about 25 placing me in the overweight category but my body fat is about 11% and I still have visible abs
  • big2strongCO
    big2strongCO Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Read this:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=106268439

or search "Top ten reasons BMI is bogus" if the link above doesn't work.

I think it is fascinating how BMI came to be and why it is a horrible way of accessing health. It is scary knowing how and why BMI exists and that so many health officials and insurance agencies put so much weight behind this flawed health assessment.

Original poster print this out hand it to your doctor and then get another doctor. If your current doc. doesn't care enough to educate him or herself about the horrible, discouraging and misleading information he is telling his patients then he doesn't deserve you as a patient.

Also get a Bod Pod assessment (search pod bod for one in your area) it will tell you everything you need to know to assure yourself that you are healthy or not.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    OP, are you sure you are at least 18?
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

+1
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Wanna give your stats OP?

These. Also what thorsmum said was v good.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Also get a Bod Pod assessment (search pod bod for one in your area) it will tell you everything you need to know to assure yourself that you are healthy or not.

This is seriously one of the most ridiculous statements I've seen on these forums. There is much more to being healthy than BF%.
  • exoticpumpkin
    exoticpumpkin Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    See a doctor that specializes in athletic performance, get a DEXA scan for body composition and keep on a healthy track!