What People Say Food Tastes Like v. Reality

Options

Replies

• CJsf1t
    CJsf1t Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I hate ginger but I'm pretty meh on cilantro. I will eat it. But it is not something I've purposely cooked with before. But I avoid ginger like the plague.

I hate ginger too. If I eat it by accident it sends shivers down my spine and not in a good way. Ugh!
  • Carol_
    Carol_ Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    'Juicy' for steak and hamburger. Always makes me think it's being served raw..or something.
  • laur7311
    laur7311 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    The hate on cilantro baffles me. I don't really mind the taste or the smell. It just tastes like.. cilantro to me. Nothing too special nothing too nasty. I can't find that "soapy" or, like one of my friends described it, "buggy" flavor.

Wikipedia cites some studies suggesting it's a genetic thing - genes controlling the ability to smell two different kinds of chemicals in cilantro, one of which is generally perceived as pleasantly aromatic and one which is generally perceived as unpleasant, as well as genes for tasting bitterness. It seems odd that it there should be so many different receptors involved and yet everyone talks about it as though there are only two types of people when it comes to cilantro. I mean, if it were one gene, or group of genes all affecting the ability to smell or taste a single family of esters or flavinoids or whatever is involved, it would make sense that there are only two kinds of people, depending on whether you were sensitive or not to the particular chemical involved. But with what sounds like three different things you can be sensing or not, you would think there would be more variation in how people respond to cilantro.

I have also heard that the same gene/compound that makes people so polarized about cilantro is in cantaloupe. So if you don't like one, you will not like the other. I hate cantaloupe, but LOVE <3 LOVE <3 LOVE cilantro. Now that baffles me.
  • beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    laur7311 wrote: »
    The hate on cilantro baffles me. I don't really mind the taste or the smell. It just tastes like.. cilantro to me. Nothing too special nothing too nasty. I can't find that "soapy" or, like one of my friends described it, "buggy" flavor.

Wikipedia cites some studies suggesting it's a genetic thing - genes controlling the ability to smell two different kinds of chemicals in cilantro, one of which is generally perceived as pleasantly aromatic and one which is generally perceived as unpleasant, as well as genes for tasting bitterness. It seems odd that it there should be so many different receptors involved and yet everyone talks about it as though there are only two types of people when it comes to cilantro. I mean, if it were one gene, or group of genes all affecting the ability to smell or taste a single family of esters or flavinoids or whatever is involved, it would make sense that there are only two kinds of people, depending on whether you were sensitive or not to the particular chemical involved. But with what sounds like three different things you can be sensing or not, you would think there would be more variation in how people respond to cilantro.

I have also heard that the same gene/compound that makes people so polarized about cilantro is in cantaloupe. So if you don't like one, you will not like the other. I hate cantaloupe, but LOVE <3 LOVE <3 LOVE cilantro. Now that baffles me.

Same here. I looooove cilantro. I go through about 3 bunches a week. My H, his mother, and my best friend all abhor it, though. Like, even touching it.

And I am with you that I dislike cantaloupe. To me it tastes a little bit like vomit (sorry, but true)
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    my sister says brie tastes like old fish. not sure where she gets this but I LOVE brie!!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

I'm neutral on cantaloupe, love cilantro. My sister is a cilantro tastes like soap person, but loves canteloupe.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Many people claim that spaghetti squash tastes just like pasta. These people are incorrect.

I have also heard that portobello mushrooms taste like beef. This is also incorrect; they taste like spongy mushrooms.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    Many people claim that spaghetti squash tastes just like pasta. These people are incorrect.

I have also heard that portobello mushrooms taste like beef. This is also incorrect; they taste like spongy mushrooms.

I hate the "this tastes like that" substitution thing. Both portobello mushrooms and spaghetti squash taste really good, IMO, but I can't imaging biting into them expecting or hoping them to taste like something else entirely really leads to appreciation.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    mushrooms have a meaty type taste to me, so I get that comparison.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Anything that describes the taste of kale other than "dirty underwear"
  • scastor27
    scastor27 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    Anything that describes the taste of kale other than "dirty underwear"
    HAHA. Yes!!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Every time I load up on my spring mix I always hear a voice in the back of my mind saying that this will have an "earthy" flavor. To me earthy tones equates to dirt flavored. :smiley:

What other foods have you had that people use a colorful and more appealing palate descriptor that you just find funny?

I was always a bit puzzled by someone describing a dessert as "too rich" for them.

• Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    rhtexasgal wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I also always like how people who dislike cilantro describe the taste of cilantro (which I love).

Ahhh, cilantro! The red-headed step-child of herbs ... there are really only two camps: those that love it and those that think is tastes like soap. I love it ... it has a lemony-herbal flavor that really kicks food up a notch. Besides, you cannot have awesome homemade salsa without it.

I'm in the "eat all the cilantro" camp - yum. I used to hate it, though...figure that one out! I thought it was the most disgusting taste ever and now I'm all "can I have extra on my tacos, please?" --- and I'm in for the cantaloupe, too, but I've always liked that.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Like cantaloupe.
    Desserts are too rich if they are too sweet or too fat. But load all the chocolate you want on that baby.
    If someone says that mushrooms taste spongy, not meaty, I suggest they are sensitive to texture.

Anyone heard about eating a slice of potato holding your nose? They say you can't tell the difference from an apple.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    This is slightly off topic because it has to do with smell rather than taste. I got into a little argument with someone in the comments section of a YouTube video because they tried to tell me cooked broccoli is odorless. A couple others agreed, but most agreed with me - cooked broccoli smells like farts. Still tastes good, especially if you cover it in salt and butter or cheese.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

Interesting! I think cilantro tastes like soap and cantaloupe smells like a dirty rag. LOL Not a fan.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Nothing to see here.

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    This is slightly off topic because it has to do with smell rather than taste. I got into a little argument with someone in the comments section of a YouTube video because they tried to tell me cooked broccoli is odorless. A couple others agreed, but most agreed with me - cooked broccoli smells like farts. Still tastes good, especially if you cover it in salt and butter or cheese.

Smell is the majority of taste, so not off topic at all.

I love broccoli but overcooked broccoli definitely smells sulfuric. So do overcooked cabbage and Brussels sprouts which are related.

I also love cantaloupe so I'm not sure of the relationship between that and cilantro. Love one, hate the other?
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Anyone heard about eating a slice of potato holding your nose? They say you can't tell the difference from an apple.

Now that, I have to try.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    For some reason the realization that some people eat potatoes raw freaks me out, but I bet the test would work with kohlrabi.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    All I could think of seeing this thread is mentions of random protein powder or oatmeal or cauliflower concoctions that supposedly taste 'just like the real thing'.

No, they don't.