ByeBye Tater Challenge!

Options
Okay...I have sacrificed a lot, but something I haven't given up are potatoes. I love potatoes. I love 'em any way I can have 'em. French fries, baked potato, potato salad, chips, hash-browns, mashed potatoes, au gratin...you name it, I'll eat it. So, a challenge to myself, and you other potato lovers, 30 days with no potatoes. Potatoes are very starchy. Starches turn into sugar. LET'S DO IT! Who's in?

Replies

• dfunk06
    dfunk06 Posts: 56
    Options
    I'll say bye bye to potatoes with you! :)
  • Daroadar
    Daroadar Posts: 3
    Options
    I'm in see ya later, tater!:tongue:
  • forever28
    forever28 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Potatoes aren't bad for you though - it's all in the way they are prepared. I'm not giving up mine! :tongue:
  • guppygirl322
    guppygirl322 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Nope, sorry, can't do it, lol! I only have them once a week though, and I usually stick to a small baked one, or mashed with skim milk and no butter. :)
  • ashleymeagan
    Options
    I would want to try but I sooooo dont think I would make it.
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    High in fiber and a great source of Vitamin C? Why give up such a beautiful food?!? It's like giving up cottage cheese because there's "so much sodium"! Let's not throw the baby out with the bath water!

Baked potatoes are a great source of energy. Starches turn into glycogen that is the perfect fuel for muscles!!! They don't make you fat. Sugars aren't bad! Oy!

Just give up fries!
  • forever28
    forever28 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    High in fiber and a great source of Vitamin C? Why give up such a beautiful food?!? It's like giving up cottage cheese because there's "so much sodium"! Let's not throw the baby out with the bath water!

Baked potatoes are a great source of energy. Starches turn into glycogen that is the perfect fuel for muscles!!! They don't make you fat. Sugars aren't bad! Oy!

Just give up fries!

BINGO! :bigsmile:
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options

Just give up fries!

^^^ This

If you deny yourself something that you really love you're more likely to fall off the bandwagon.
    Enjoy what you love, just do it in moderation and with smarter choices :)
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are actually very nutritious. Lots of potassium and an excellent source of nutrition.

That is when they are cooked in a healthy way. To maximize the health benefits roast in the oven in olive oil or boil and serve slightly mashed with spices or your favorite hot sauce. Serve up a baked potato with Greek yogurt and chives instead of sour cream.

I heard experts in nutrition speak on this just last week. It's the way you prepare the potato that can make it unhealthy!

Here's an article for you:
    (check out all those nutrients and vitamins!)
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2770/2
  • dcmat
    dcmat Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking...moderation
  • legmotor
    legmotor Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    No way I'm giving up taters of any sort. I agree with an above comment it is how you prepare them that matters. If you do want a really awesome tasting substitute I cut up some red peppers and onions in small strips and then put a little olive oil on them and various seasonings without salt and then stir them up, roast them in the oven to taste and they are so good. I don't miss the potatoes when I do that as a side.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Potatoes aren't bad for you though - it's all in the way they are prepared. I'm not giving up mine! :tongue:

So true! I posted the nutrition info here. ^
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I just busted my butt on the weekend to plant a 3000 sq foot garden anchored with potatoes, strawberries and blueberry (yes sadly only one left at the garden center) no way I'm giving them up entirely. That'd be like giving up eggs... not for me to do! (though my chickens are either stressed from the location move or decided to all moult at the same time I got 3 eggs for the weekend when last time I had 4 days there I got 3 dozen.
  • gabbylisa17
    Options
    Oh gosh! I have a 3 year old and not sure if I can do that but I'll try not to sneak when he has some!
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I don't think Bamamomma is saying taters are bad for you, she is just offering a challenge to abstain from them for 30 days. Either you're in or you're not.
  • BamaMomma
    BamaMomma Posts: 53
    Options
    you're absolutely right! but....the way i eat potatoes is the reason for this challenge! :D
  • BamaMomma
    BamaMomma Posts: 53
    Options
    you're right, dear friend. i never said they were bad. i just want to cut them out of my diet just to see what a difference it will make for me, personally! :) ROLL TIDE!
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    you're right, dear friend. i never said they were bad. i just want to cut them out of my diet just to see what a difference it will make for me, personally! :) ROLL TIDE!

Then I absolutely wish you the best of luck :)
  • FKat
    FKat Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    i'll try , not sure i will make it ..LOL i will let you know :))).i love potato btw
  • ImNotThatBob
    ImNotThatBob Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I just went 9 weeks with no potatoes. Then it was my free - day and I'd been craving potatoes so... Well, one plate full of chili cheese fries later, I logged in and read your challenge. LOL

Sure, I'm down for it...

Later Tater!