Butter

Options
laura617
laura617 Posts: 20 Member
alright I don't eat a lot of butter because it's so high in calories. I however love popcorn, it's like a serious craving for me. I use an air popper when I have it as a snack and usually have it dry but I feel less satisfied since I have cut the butter.

Are there healthier flavoring options for my popcorn that still taste like butter?

Replies

• brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Maybe try butter spray? I couldn't live without it. Zero calories according to the packaging.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I use spray butter on air-popped popcorn. In fact, I think I may go make some now.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    The best suggestion I've seen here is to get one of those oil spritzers and spray it on. I'd say you might experiment with a light oil and garlic/salt.

Or experiment ways to add the butter that dramatically reduces it's volume. Like melting the butter (like a teaspoon) and spreading a thin coating to the bowl before you pop the popcorn. Toss well.

I've tried the powdered concoctions but without the oil, they don't stick. I don't find them satisfying at all.

Or get the white cheddar popcorn. Still more calories than air popped, but.
  • laura617
    laura617 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I love cheddar popcorn but I usually share my snack with kids who like it plain and simple. I will be picking up some of the spray and giving that a try, thanks for the replies!
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    My husband uses I can't believe its not butter spray. 0 cals
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Butter spray. Even a water mist. Anything that dampens the popcorn to make the salt stick will do the trick. :)
  • ccourcha
    ccourcha Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Butter seasoning or spray. Seasoning prolly better
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    What's unhealthy about butter?
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    I would use the same proportion of butter to popcorn, but cut the portion size. That's just my personal preference though.
  • crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I use ghee, or I clarify my own butter. You can have twice as much this way!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    My husband uses I can't believe its not butter spray. 0 cals

0 calories per spray (by legal definition). That does not mean that there are no calories in the spray.
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Yeah he calculated it out that like 20 sprays was still very low in cals.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    What's unhealthy about butter?

nothing- but if you eat a lot of popcorn- 2-4 tablespoons of pure fat adds up pretty quickly- at 120 calories a pop- you're upwards of 500 calories if you're not careful.
    0 calories per spray (by legal definition). That does not mean that there are no calories in the spray.
    correct- but still significantly less than carving off a guestimated tablespoon of butter.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    we use that butter spray by parkay. I cant believe its not butter makes one as well. I like spending my fat allowance in other places.
  • janiep81
    janiep81 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I like nutritional yeast on popcorn. Weird name, but yummy taste - kind of nutty and cheesy. Vegans use nutritional yeast for the creamy taste and because it has B vitamins that are hard for them to get. Its a powder, so you may still need some kind of spray of oil to make it stick. It still has calories, but I think its worth it.
  • BabyPhat90713
    BabyPhat90713 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    brynnsmom wrote: »
    Maybe try butter spray? I couldn't live without it. Zero calories according to the packaging.

I found out from one of Julian Michaels books that it is almost 1 calorie per spray so as long as you don't go crazy with the spray butter it is a better option for flavoring food :)
  • Jonesie86
    Jonesie86 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Olive oil and coconut oils are good. I've researched a vast amount on the spray/imitation butters. I don't buy them for a reason. If it's healthy fats like above, go for the real deal.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I grew up with "I can't believe it's not butter" and didn't really have butter until I was around 30. Love butter!!