Strength Training doesnt record calories burned??

Options
GlamaMom3
GlamaMom3 Posts: 6 Member
edited June 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Three Questions:
1) Why doesnt the strength trng section of the journal record calories burned?
2) Before I used MFP and begun working with a trainer, I lost 11 lbs on my own in 2 months, now, its only been 1 week with MFP and a trainer and I gained a pound.... made me a little discouraged to see that. Why did I gain?
3) before using MFP, i was probably taking in about 800-1000 calories a day. I had severely decreased my food so i could lose weight. (it worked, but I didnt feel energized) But, now MFP wont even let me track food unless its over 1000 calories. It wants me to take in 1800 calories a day. So, i make myself eat more but I am still only taking in 1100-1400. I feel like im overeating. My stomach is always full. Eeeekkkk... help me understand!! Im so new to this!

Replies

• GalaxyDuck
    GalaxyDuck Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    1) Logging under the strength training section doesn't record calories burned because it is nearly impossible for the number to be accurate. Too many variables (number of sets, reps, weights, effort, rest periods, etc). If you are looking for the calorie counts you can log Strength Training under the Cardio section and it will give you a number. I wouldn't necessarily trust that number as being accurate for the reasons listed above ^^.

2) Did you just start working with a trainer? It's pretty common for weight loss to stall temporarily when you first start a new routine. It may take a few weeks. You also mention that prior to MFP you were only taking in 800-1000 calories which is really quite low and not sustainable in the long term. It's only been one week, I wouldn't worry about not losing anything in the first week.

Your diary isn't open and you haven't given any details about your routine or diet so no one is really going to be able to answer "Why did I gain" for you.

Check out this link for a good starting point on using MFP successfully:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Apart from the info in that thread itself, it includes a plethora of useful links to other MFP threads that you should check out.

3)800-1000 calories is not sustainable or healthy in the long term and MFP is designed to help people lose weight in a healthy manner. It will not encourage you to eat too few calories. You can still track them if you have low calorie days, it just won't let you "complete" the entry which doesn't really do anything besides make a post on your wall and give you a guesstimate on what you'll weigh in 5 weeks.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    GalaxyDuck wrote: »
    1) Logging under the strength training section doesn't record calories burned because it is nearly impossible for the number to be accurate. Too many variables (number of sets, reps, weights, effort, rest periods, etc). If you are looking for the calorie counts you can log Strength Training under the Cardio section and it will give you a number. I wouldn't necessarily trust that number as being accurate for the reasons listed above ^^.

2) Did you just start working with a trainer? It's pretty common for weight loss to stall temporarily when you first start a new routine. It may take a few weeks. You also mention that prior to MFP you were only taking in 800-1000 calories which is really quite low and not sustainable in the long term. It's only been one week, I wouldn't worry about not losing anything in the first week.

Your diary isn't open and you haven't given any details about your routine or diet so no one is really going to be able to answer "Why did I gain" for you.

Check out this link for a good starting point on using MFP successfully:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Apart from the info in that thread itself, it includes a plethora of useful links to other MFP threads that you should check out.

3)800-1000 calories is not sustainable or healthy in the long term and MFP is designed to help people lose weight in a healthy manner. It will not encourage you to eat too few calories. You can still track them if you have low calorie days, it just won't let you "complete" the entry which doesn't really do anything besides make a post on your wall and give you a guesstimate on what you'll weigh in 5 weeks.

Agree with the above - all good answers.

I would add your post said you think you were "probably taking in about 800-1000 calories a day". If you aren't weighing or measuring serving sizes, I would guess you were "probably" taking in a lot more than that, and perhaps still are.
  • GlamaMom3
    Options
    Thank you for the response. I just fixed my journal so its public. (im new to MFP) Also, yes, I did just start with a trainer. After going 2 months with less than 1000 cals a day, I realized that working out hard needs more fuel. After the 1st day I was so sick, so I joined the MFP and began to take in more cals. But now Im not understanding if Im not hungry, if i should eat more because I need the cals. :/ Strength Trng 3x week, Cardio 3x week. You are right about a healthy sustainment long term, took me 1 day working with a trainer to realize that.. lol
  • GlamaMom3
    Options
    ceoverturf- It was less than 1000 cals for sure. I would only eat 1 snack and 1 meal a day. I lost 11 lbs quickly like that. The meal would consist of chx, broccoli, and fruit everyday. The snack would be a yogurt. tons of water. I am definitely weighing and measuring food. I bought a scale, measuring cup and spoons. Now, Im pinpointing every single granule that goes into my body. Including oils, butter, seasoning etc...
  • GalaxyDuck
    Options
    Try to get the calories in to the amount that MFP tells you, but don't stress over it if you can't manage it every single day. I think you'll find that the longer you are working with a trainer and doing dedicated strength training, the more of an appetite you will develop.

I took a look through the past week or so in your diary and noticed that your protein numbers are on the low side. Personally, I find it easier to eat enough calories when I am focused on reaching my protein goal. As a result of focusing on protein, my carbs tend to be a bit lower than they would otherwise. I find when I eat a lot of carb-heavy food I tend to feel full even if I haven't come close to meeting calories or protein/fat goals. Everybody is different though so the real take-away is to just stick with it (seems like you've got a pretty good start on it!) and find what works best for you.

Best of luck!
  • GlamaMom3
    Options
    GalaxyDuck wrote: »
    Try to get the calories in to the amount that MFP tells you, but don't stress over it if you can't manage it every single day. I think you'll find that the longer you are working with a trainer and doing dedicated strength training, the more of an appetite you will develop.

I took a look through the past week or so in your diary and noticed that your protein numbers are on the low side. Personally, I find it easier to eat enough calories when I am focused on reaching my protein goal. As a result of focusing on protein, my carbs tend to be a bit lower than they would otherwise. I find when I eat a lot of carb-heavy food I tend to feel full even if I haven't come close to meeting calories or protein/fat goals. Everybody is different though so the real take-away is to just stick with it (seems like you've got a pretty good start on it!) and find what works best for you.

Best of luck!

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I noticed my protein was low also. i "googled" protein foods and stocked up on them all last night!! :) Hopefully I will see results in a couple weeks. Thank you for all your input
  • follyman
    follyman Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I found it a bit discouraging to only use a scale to measure loss with strength training. Seeing that it took 2 months to lose five pounds and then I noticed I was slimming down. Try taking body measurements as well since fat percentage loss isn't really registered on scales or use a calipers or a similar device. Nice to see that I've lost 6" off my waist though.
  • GalaxyDuck
    Options
    This is a very good point ^^

If you've read through the "Guide to Sexypants" link above then you already read this in Point 4 of that thread, but measurements, pictures and the way your clothes fit are great ways to track your progress and get out of the mind set that the number on the scale is the only measurement of success :)