Looking for mums to help, c-section difficulties

Options
I am 22 and had my beautiful girl when I was 20, as I was in labour about for 26 hours and Brianna was breached I needed an emergency caesarean, now from the second rib up to my scar is completely numb and feels horrible to touch. I also have the 'mummy cliff' with alot of stretch marks on my tummy, I was wondering if I'm losing weight will this get worse? Will any of the skin retain? And will the 'cliff' still be there? I have looked into having a tummy tuck but are too expensive at the minute, thank you good luck everyone

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    The stretch marks will eventually fade (time). You're young, with only 12 pounds to lose, so the skin eventually should take care of itself.
  • jlnolin
    jlnolin Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I had two c sections. I had the mommy cliff even when I lost down to 120 pounds. Just remember, you earned those scars with a beautiful baby!
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    It's hard to say. Genetics and body composition will make a difference though.

I've had 2 c-sections (one Dec 2011 and one May 2014) and my highest adult weight was 260 lbs after my first c-section. My stomach:

zwy7jaq4u1or.jpg
    (Bikini pics are from May 19th and the other pic is June 1st)

Belly hang comparison:
    ybiy081ejxu8.jpg
    As I've progressed through weight loss, it has gotten smaller and lifted up some. Also, in the Nov picture it's still wide enough to cover my hip bones. However, in tonight's picture it's limited to the center of my stomach and no longer comes to my hip bones (definitely not large enough to hide them anymore).
  • wildflowerherbal
    wildflowerherbal Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I've had two kids, one natural one c sec and having lost 11lbs so far the cliff is a lot smaller. But I can clearly see it won't ever go away. And that's ok. You can't erase your past. It used to feel Like a punch in the face every time I looked at that scar but losing weight (and a *kitten* ex husband) and gaining some self esteem has helped Me see the bravery and beauty. Good luck.
  • ChitaPrince
    ChitaPrince Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had a c section 1.5 years ago, and also had the cliff. I thought I was just stuck with it but then I decided to get serious about getting my body back. For the past 6 months I have been weight training 5 days a week and I am happy to say it is completely gone, I have a flat tummy again! It took a lot of hard work though, and discipline with the diet.good l
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I've had 2 cesareans. The last was in 2006. I didn't really gain weight until AFTER I stopped breastfeeding, because I continued to eat like I was producing 20 gallons of milk a day. (Not too much of a stretch; I was so blessed in the ability to produce milk that I fed my daughter and donated about 8 ounces a day.) It was after I lost all the weight I'd gained that I noticed the droop in my belly. I thought stretch marks were all I had to deal with. After getting back down to my pre-maternity weight, I've still got a bit of a droop, but I've noticed that my skin is sloooowly shrinking back. It's only been a few months, I think, so I won't know for sure how much my skin is ultimately going to shrink for a bit.

But you're 20 years younger than I am, 15 years younger than I was when I had my first daughter. I have friends who had cesareans in their twenties and made the effort to work out. Just simple ab exercises, like planks and curls, which they advised me to do. I totally ignored them until recently, lol, but I'm hoping it's not entirely too late. *crossing fingers* All that being said, you have to realize that you've got a combination of fat and loose skin, which is causing your cliff. You can't control how much the loose skin is going to shrink as you lose the weight, so just work on losing the fat and see what happens.

I don't really care to wear anything that will show that area of my body, anyway, so it's no big deal to me.
  • MummyChels21266
    MummyChels21266 Posts: 10 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I'm not too bothered about how it looks just how it feels. I havnt wore proper jeans since because of the numbness it feels horrible, and desperately want to be comfortable in them, I will keep going and see how it turns out, I have tried to avoid ab training because that also feels weird like my scar will snap open
  • MummyChels21266
    edited June 2015
    Options
  • MummyChels21266
    Options
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I had 3 c-sections, with the last 22 years ago. The numbness you are describing slowly gets better--it does take years, so you need patience. As for your stomach area, that's genetic. You can only do the best you can and see what happens. After 2 years you should be able to exercise without problems, but check with your doctor. Start gradually. I like planking and squats, do acqua-gym and swim. Yoga--hatha--is also good to start. You pick what you like. Look at it this way, you can only better the situation and that's what counts. My kids were worth all the wear and tear on my body. Now that I'm older, I don't care as much, but have been surprised by the results after being on MFP for 2 1/2 years. By the way, my numbness is gone. B)
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    What you are feeling is not normal, the dr did something wrong. Some numbness is to be expected. What you describe this long after the c-section, it is not. You need to talk to a dr. I had 3 babies with cesarians, never had numbness to the point you describe. Some discomfort, yes. Feeling unable to wear the clothes you like because of the numbness, definitely not.
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    My last C-section was 11 years ago. I still have some numbness -- but only on the scar itself. I am able to exercise and not be uncomfortable. I would check back in with your surgeon to see if everything is OK.
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    My daughter messed up my ribs, I have had a pain in the lower left rib/side ever since she was born. I usually feel it when I lay down or am doing yoga. Maybe you should see a chiropractor about that. As for the scar, mine is six inches across my bikini line, does not bother me at all.
  • Pascal56
    Pascal56 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I still have a little residual numbness almost six years after my c-section. Since yours covers such a large area though, wouldn't hurt to get it checked out.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    @MummyChels21266 talk to your OB. If you have weird feelings outside of the scar area of your section you might have adhesion. That is where your insides stick to your scar tissue. It can be a big deal. I had some adhesion with my first that was corrected when they opened me up for my second c section. It was like a weird pulling, crampy feeling. Unfortunately, the only way to correct it is more surgery.
  • Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    @MummyChels21266 talk to your OB. If you have weird feelings outside of the scar area of your section you might have adhesion. That is where your insides stick to your scar tissue. It can be a big deal. I had some adhesion with my first that was corrected when they opened me up for my second c section. It was like a weird pulling, crampy feeling. Unfortunately, the only way to correct it is more surgery.
    ^^^this, numbness for this long is not normal. I had the same numbness after a c section 30 plus years ago but didn't have anything done until my 2nd c section, 1st Dr. was an *kitten*
  • MummyChels21266
    Options
    Thank you for all the replies, I have been the doctors about the numbness but the ignore me and move on to another thing, I did go to the doctors and asked them to check me out for adhesions because I havnt had a period for over a year and get extreme constipation to the point if I eat a biscuit my belly can swell so I look 8 months pregnant, I have been looking into private doctors but seem very expensive
  • MummyChels21266
    Options
    Thank you ladies