It's the inches I'm more interested in losing...

Options
So I thought my goal was to be lighter, but having thought about it, my goal is to be smaller. After a lot of reading and research I know the two don't necessarily go hand in hand, but I'm yet to get some tips or advice specific to losing inches, rather than pounds.

To be more specific, I want to lose the inches from my thighs. I've lost nearly 2 inches off my chest which I didn't need to, 4 inches off my stomach which was welcomed, and only 1 from my thighs over the past 3-4 months, and have done this through various methods such as low carb intake, higher protein intake, upping the cardio per week from 1 session to 5, etc etc, but it's just stopped and now I need some help.

If anyone has tips or advice I'd be so grateful. Maybe there are particular exercises I should be doing?

Thank you

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    You have the right mindset! The thing is, your genetics are going to determine which are the first and last places you lose inches. I tend towards storing it in my thighs, too. It's always the slowest to move there. You can't lose from a specific place by doing anything special, all you can do is keep working to lower your body fat percentage overall and it'll happen.

Keep eating at a slight deficit (.5 pound per week) and lift heavy weights rather than go overboard on the cardio. You'll maintain more of your current lean muscle mass while losing fat. Don't worry about which areas to target, just work your whole body, including your quads. I've been doing this for about a year and while the scale hasn't moved a lot, I'm definitely smaller and firmer. I can also move weights around that are at least twice as heavy now.

If you aren't sure where to start with weight lifting, two good programs are The New Rules of Lifting for Women and Strong Lifts 5x5. If you're intimidated by the free weights, start out the with the weight machines. You may not get as much "bang for your buck" but starting somewhere is better than not starting at all.
  • msalamun
    msalamun Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Weightlifting!

Incorporating weightlifting or resistance training into your workouts will do wonders for losing inches and getting toned. And before you say you don't want to get bulky, don't worry, you won't. Women do not have the necessary amount of testosterone in their bodies to bulk up from weightlifting like men. What will happen is that your muscles will become leaner, stronger, and tighter, and that is where your inches will start coming off. So scale back the cardio and go pump some iron.

If you're particularly interested in shedding inches from your thighs, I recommend squats, lunges, and deadlifts (be sure to have good form on this one).
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Weights weights weights as the above posters said.
  • michaela_cf
    michaela_cf Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I knew I'd find some help here :)

*runs off to research weight lifting workouts*
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    So I thought my goal was to be lighter, but having thought about it, my goal is to be smaller. After a lot of reading and research I know the two don't necessarily go hand in hand, but I'm yet to get some tips or advice specific to losing inches, rather than pounds.

To be more specific, I want to lose the inches from my thighs. I've lost nearly 2 inches off my chest which I didn't need to, 4 inches off my stomach which was welcomed, and only 1 from my thighs over the past 3-4 months, and have done this through various methods such as low carb intake, higher protein intake, upping the cardio per week from 1 session to 5, etc etc, but it's just stopped and now I need some help.

If anyone has tips or advice I'd be so grateful. Maybe there are particular exercises I should be doing?

Thank you

Eat at a calorie defecit

Lift heavy things

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Books: Strong Curves / New Rules of Lifting for Women

Web: www.stronglifts5x5.com, ice cream fitness etc
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Resistance training and HIIT cardio. Sport science research suggests that adding in more low intensity steady state cardio reduces your metabolism and will make you plateau. Do sprint intervals. Go as hard as you can for 10-20 seconds, rest for 2-3 minutes, and hit it again. 4-6 sets of that and you'll be wiped out. Combine that with good resistance training and you'll be on your way.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    LIFT LIFT LIFT