Not very sure of myself

Options
I'm new to this and hope that this could help me loose weight. I've been overweight all my life and tried so many yo-yo diets that I've become unsure of myself. When I think I'm doing alot better eating wise, one of my co-workers (who I know has the best intentions) talks to me as if I've done something wrong to the point where I don't want to eat and I know that's not good for me either.

Replies

• tracey2710
    tracey2710 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Just make better choices with food, do some exercise and LOG EVERYTHING! Good luck :smile:
    Your co-worker may have good intentions - spare a thought for me, mine are currently sitting eating my favorite biscuits infront of me:angry:
  • Daroadar
    Daroadar Posts: 3
    Options
    I am fairly new to the site. I love it.! You will find lots of people on this site that will give you encoragment. Never, never give up. You can do this. Just do all of the work on this site. Input all the information it asks for. It will give you great guidelines. Follow them and before you know it you will reach your goal!

Don't pay attention to your co-worker! Ask them to keep their "best intentions" to themselves. Once you have reached your goal you will except there congrats with open arms!
  • dawnw30
    dawnw30 Posts: 270
    Options
    You can do it! Don't pay attention to those people - they may have good intentions but they surely don't help. Just pick yourself up and try to do this for you! This site is a huge help...the logging of food and exercise is a huge headache without it. This makes it so easy - anyone can do it!! Also people are great motivators....just believe in yourself...you CAN do it!! :flowerforyou:
  • lisastrom
    lisastrom Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Take baby steps. Change things slowly. Log everything so you get a good idea of what you're really eating every day and the caloric impact. Do some type of exercise every day. When the pounds start coming off (and they will if you stick with it) that will be your reward!! Soon your coworker may have to eat her words!!!
  • LamsieDee
    LamsieDee Posts: 85
    Options
    sounds like you need to lose the co worker. when they start to say something that makes you unsure or hurts your determination, you need to change the subject. say something like" I know you want to help me and right now the way you can help best is not to critisize me." if they don't stop, you may need to avoid the person for a while. this can be really hard but if you actually take charge of the relationship, it will help you to press on to your weight loss goal. the people on here (mfp) are really encouraging and I havent' seen anyone ever tell another that they can't do this weight loss. just keep logging in as often as you need and read the motivation and success stories. hugs
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,428 Member
    Options
    The best thing you can do is educate yourself. Look through folks diaries that are public to get both an idea of what people eat but also what type of nutritional data is in those things. Agree with Tracey that you need to log every thing you put in your mouth. Find a way to get some exercise in even if it's just walking. Most of us on here are serial yo-yoer's and finally have found the thing that works for us. Everybody is different. What works for me may not be the best option for you. Some people are staunch clean eaters; devout low carbs; carb-cyclers;etc. Find what works for YOU then you can easily and with confidence tell your co-worker that you are doing what is right for YOU. Read the success stories on here for inspiration. Search for public diaries and take a look at some of them. Take it one step at a time and don't give up!
  • MrBrown72
    MrBrown72 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Well their opinions have no value. Don't share. You have places like this to talk things over and share your victories, they don't even need to know you are trying to loose weight. Just keep showing up looking better and better.

Just remind them that it's a universal truth that
    Every good thing they will ever accomplish will be done with their mouth shut.
  • jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I'm new to this and hope that this could help me loose weight. I've been overweight all my life and tried so many yo-yo diets that I've become unsure of myself. When I think I'm doing alot better eating wise, one of my co-workers (who I know has the best intentions) talks to me as if I've done something wrong to the point where I don't want to eat and I know that's not good for me either.

Maybe you could say to your coworker that you really appreciate his/her concern, but you're working hard to do what's right for you? I
  • sunshine__angel
    sunshine__angel Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    First of all, welcome! Second of all, this is YOUR journey, not your co-workers, or anyone else's for that matter! Eating healthier choices is key, and at work, if you cannot eat the healthiest foods, cut back on the unhealthy portions. Don't let anyone or anything stand in your way. Your title to this thread made me immediately want to write and try and motivate you!! I recently started a new diet, I definitely didn't think I could do. I do not eat meat, and this diet requires me to also eliminate all added sugars and all starches. That means, only water and green tea to drink, and not many food options! I panicked and worried that I wouldn't be able to do it, and guess what? I have lost 10.6 lbs and I am on Day 13 of my diet!!!

This is the right place to come when you need support and feel like you are alone. Look around the site and you will see you are NOT alone! I log in every single day, filling out my food diary, commenting on message boards and just looking around the site. ANY time you feel like you are not sure of yourself, log into this page and post on a message board. Nobody here will ever judge your choices, and if you slip up and make a bad food choice, tomorrow is another day. Don't worry about what anyone else thinks, you need to do this for YOU!

Being here is the first step!! Good luck on your journey and feel free to add me if you need some support or just a friend to talk to!
  • knittam
    knittam Posts: 10
    Options
    Hello and welcome! Everyone has an opinion. You don't have to take it to heart. I usually just listen and thank them, then go about my business.

There is a lot of information and I find that educating myself is key, I use the public library and reputable online sites for further study. If it is right for me, then I implement it into my life.

Just starting out (again), I find that exercise is the first thing to focus on. Once I have that routine down and notice how good I feel inside after exercise and how my skin glows, I start in on nutrition. Start gradually and in phases, taking on too much at one time can be overwhelming.

I drink at least two liters of water a day. I start upon waking. The night before, I fill up my 40 oz water bottle. When I wake up, I start to drink, at least half the bottle. I finish the other half after I dress. At breakfast, I fill it up again.

I stick to non-processed foods, no white flour or sugar. I prepare and carry most of my food with me.

A good book that you can check out at your local library is The Eat Clean Diet Recharged, by Tosca Reno. There are also gluten free and vegan menus included. It is one of the realistic ways of daily diet and nutrition that is sustainable over the long term. Check it out and decide if it is for you.

I wish you luck and let no one sway you off course of living a life that makes you happy and fulfilled!
  • candles1616
    Options
    Thank you all for your support and thank you all for the welcome and opened arms. I feel with this site and message boards I can do this. The encouraging words are really helpful and I feel better today after reading everyones words. :happy: