Has anyone ever lost weight on vacation without even trying?

Options
I just went on an 8 day vacation. Pigged out, no restrictions or reservations. It was an all-inclusive 8 day resort so I indulged to the fullest. Didn't exercise one bit. I felt so guilty and thought I gained at least 10 pounds. But when I got home and weighed myself I had actually lost a few pounds. My only explanation for this would be a) My metabolism kicked in when I needed it to. Through months of changing my eating habits and exercising, I've boosted my previously slow metabolism OR b) the excursions, walking, and drinking water ended up burning more calories than I took in. OR c) both. We were having so much fun that I didn't even realize all of the calories I was burning.

Replies

• discretekim
    discretekim Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Walking around usually does burn more calories. That's impressive though. Good job!
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I don't know if I've ever lost weight, I never checked, but I do know when I go on vacation, I tend to be a lot more active than I would be at home. We get up early and do stuff all day, walking, doing this and that activity, and we're usually somewhere near an ocean, so I am in either the ocean or the hotel pool quite a lot. I don't have a pool or go swimming much any other time except on vacation. In that way, it would make sense if I did lose some.
  • sarahfadamitan
    sarahfadamitan Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks yall ;-)
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    When I was younger I use to lose weight on vacation. I always thought it was because I was too busy to eat on vacation.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    ahhh I have went on a 7 day all inclusive, and didnt gain or lose anything! To have lost on a trip is awesome! :D
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I used to wonder about this until I wore a fitbit camping... On the day I didn't leave the camp site to GO anywhere, I walked 10k steps - just back and forth between the bathroom (my daughter was potty training) and around the tent area. Most days I was closer to 20k steps... And when I shop in NYC? 18 miles and a blister, but omg EAT ALL THE THINGS.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I always lose weight on vacation. No desk job on vacation.
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    i don't vacation often, but the last time I did was a few months into my initial weight drop about a year and a half ago. When I left I was 218 and when I weighed myself about a week after my return I was 198.
  • rushbabe0214
    rushbabe0214 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I always lose weight on vacation. I eat more but I'm usually way more active than at home.
  • sarahfadamitan
    Options
    I used to wonder about this until I wore a fitbit camping... On the day I didn't leave the camp site to GO anywhere, I walked 10k steps - just back and forth between the bathroom (my daughter was potty training) and around the tent area. Most days I was closer to 20k steps... And when I shop in NYC? 18 miles and a blister, but omg EAT ALL THE THINGS.
    Omg I lose weight when I go to NYC too! Hilarious!! & thx for the insight! The fitbit is proof that we actually ARE more active during vacay without even realizing it LOL.
  • sarahfadamitan
    Options
    Ok I'm so glad I'm not the only one! I thought i was going crazy, or that my scale was broken LOL. I do have a desk job so thats probably why when i go on vacation I burn more calories! Thx yall.
  • vanessalillian82
    vanessalillian82 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    When I went backpacking through Europe I lost about 7kg in the first three weeks. For real! I was a bit overweight to begin with, but on a backpacker budget we were eating the breakfasts provided by hostels (pigging out), and then usually cheese sandwiches for lunch and sometimes we'd eat out for dinner (something light, because $$$) or else more cheese sandwiches, and we walked/took public transport everywhere. I think it was mostly the walking everywhere that did it, so if you were doing lots of walking on your holiday then that was probably the silver bullet. Plus I imagine that now you probably gravitate towards the healthier foods anyway :smile:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!