dehydrated help

Options
2»

Replies

• truelight_photo_craig
    truelight_photo_craig Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I usually add some kind of flavoring to water, weather it's the mio type stuff you squirt into a glass, or sugar free lemonade mix (sugar free 'cause I'm diabetic, plus lower calories) It's not easy to make these positive changes we all need to make. Just start small and build on the victories. Start with a glass of water before meals, and add from there...
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    draznyth wrote: »
    I drink room temp water

you can suck down 20 oz of it in like 10 seconds
    I do this too - tap temp water though. I find I can chug it then. Stand by the sink and drink until it's all gone. Maybe I have decent water though, because I never understand when people say they hate the taste of water.

Sparkling water is fine, but it will make you gassy if you try to chug that!
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    I drink room temp water

I do this too - tap temp water though. I find I can chug it then. Stand by the sink and drink until it's all gone. Maybe I have decent water though, because I never understand when people say they hate the taste of water.

Sparkling water is fine, but it will make you gassy if you try to chug that!

yeah I like to have sparking water with dinner since it's like calorie-free "soda"

and I've got one of those in-line water filters so I can fill up a 20oz bottle insanely fast

I understand when people might say they hate the taste of it, because let's be honest, it does get kinda *kitten* boring when you drink like a gallon a day lol
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I used to literally never drink water. I would drink juice and milk non-stop, but refused to take a sip of water. I started having a lot of issues, including kidney problems, and I knew I needed to whip myself into shape. I started taking a gallon container to work with me and would make graduation marks with times as to when I should have drank that amount. By the end of the day, I would have the gallon completed. If I finished, I rewarded myself with a cup of coffee or tea. If I didn't, I had to continue drinking water and nothing else. Now, I ONLY drink water (with the exception of coffee in the morning). I crave water. I typically drink a gallon plus per day. Eventually you will start to feel better and see the positive affects of drinking water and that will be further motivation.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    you need to drink fluids more than anything else. caffeine can be dehydrating but otherwise you are good to go

also fruits can have lots of water in them as well, think watermelon
  • FitForL1fe
    Options
    I used to literally never drink water. I would drink juice and milk non-stop, but refused to take a sip of water. I started having a lot of issues, including kidney problems, and I knew I needed to whip myself into shape. I started taking a gallon container to work with me and would make graduation marks with times as to when I should have drank that amount. By the end of the day, I would have the gallon completed. If I finished, I rewarded myself with a cup of coffee or tea. If I didn't, I had to continue drinking water and nothing else. Now, I ONLY drink water (with the exception of coffee in the morning). I crave water. I typically drink a gallon plus per day. Eventually you will start to feel better and see the positive affects of drinking water and that will be further motivation.

haha yeah I know the feeling

once I switched to almost exclusively water, I'm just always like...*kitten* I'm thirsty...time for more water already?
  • erockem
    erockem Posts: 278 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I drink room temp water

At restaurants I ask, 'Water- No ice' because I can down it a lot faster. My buddy used to harass me about it, now he's the first to ask the waitress for 'Water- No ice' for the same reason.

I can mindlessly drink room temp water all day. I have to consciously reach for cold water and usually forget or avoid drinking it.

When biking or running, same deal. Room temp, it gets consumed.

0cal flavor (mio, crystal lite, etc) or lemon juice. I used to ask for a lemon wedge at restaurants but there is a lot of bacteria from sitting there all day and all the hands grabbing for it.
  • FitForL1fe
    Options
    erockem wrote: »
    I drink room temp water

At restaurants I ask, 'Water- No ice' because I can down it a lot faster. My buddy used to harass me about it, now he's the first to ask the waitress for 'Water- No ice' for the same reason.

I can mindlessly drink room temp water all day. I have to consciously reach for cold water and usually forget or avoid drinking it.

When biking or running, same deal. Room temp, it gets consumed.

0cal flavor (mio, crystal lite, etc) or lemon juice. I used to ask for a lemon wedge at restaurants but there is a lot of bacteria from sitting there all day and all the hands grabbing for it.

hahah ugh that is a good point on the lemon

forever ruined for me

better just save them for alcoholic drinks then :tongue:
  • greenheadhunter
    greenheadhunter Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I just started using Body Armor. It's a new product that competes with the sports drink market. I went to it for its very low sodium and very high potassium content. Flavor is very good without the Super sweet taste. No corn syrup or high fructose either. Side benefit my blood pressure dropped off from pre hypertension to normal due to the extra potassium.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    theswan0 wrote: »
    I wonder if anyone could give me suggestions i struggle when it comes to drinking water, i only have 1 working kidney and as a child i was made to drink it but like a rebel the day i left home i decided no more water because i HATE it but i now have grown up (well a little) lol i know i am dehydrated and i know how important it is for the body But i still hate it, i will now drink it but i do myself a cold bottle of water and forget to drink it, i wondered if anyone has any ideas how i can remember to drink it or any ways to make it tast better or any hints or tips as i usually only have 4 cups of tea a day, and i know its not enough and tea also dehydrates you any advice would be great :)

Drink sparkling water.. it has great flavor.
    I also add spenda to water
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    reneeknick wrote: »
    Do have suggestions?
    I don't know a complete detailed list, but off the top of my head:

coffee, tea, juice, any milk and nut juice, watermelon (any melon I think), pineapple, cucumber, celery, peaches, apricots, apples, cherries, pears, bananas, tomato, cabbage, lettuce, peppers, carrots, potatoes, grapes, any soup, any broth, chicken, any drink that uses water as a base (a flavor enhancer, Kool-Aid, Gatorade), smoothies, hot chocolate, soda pop (Pepsi, Coke, 7-Up, etc.).
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I enjoy marking it on either my fitbit, 21 day fix or MFP apps. I get satisfaction over checking off ticky boxes :D

I drink a lot of sparkling water because I love love love soda... but am trying to skip the calories and artificial sweeteners. Some times I'll mash up a couple raspberries/strawberries/lemon/lime/etc. and add it to the water so there's a bit of "flavour". Also, I cannot drink chlorinated water. It has to be filtered. For some reason, chlorinated water makes me feel nauseated if I drink too much of it, or drink it too fast.
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I got a nice glass that fits my hand very well. I fill it first thing in the morning and carry it with me everywhere.
    I sip from it constantly. It saves having to down a whole glass at once. That's just nasty. As soon as it's empty I refill it. If it's always with you it isn't forgotten. I add a spritz of ReaLemon. Until I started that I barely drank anything. I am often surprised to find it needs refilling. Took me some time to remeber to carry it. (p.s.) Your body does get used to it and after awhile you don't have to run to the bathroom as often.
  • whirlygig60
    whirlygig60 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I've been drinking a lot more water since I purchased a glass water bottle. It seems to taste better than water from my plastic bottle.
  • FitForL1fe
    Options
    theswan0 wrote: »
    I wonder if anyone could give me suggestions i struggle when it comes to drinking water, i only have 1 working kidney and as a child i was made to drink it but like a rebel the day i left home i decided no more water because i HATE it but i now have grown up (well a little) lol i know i am dehydrated and i know how important it is for the body But i still hate it, i will now drink it but i do myself a cold bottle of water and forget to drink it, i wondered if anyone has any ideas how i can remember to drink it or any ways to make it tast better or any hints or tips as i usually only have 4 cups of tea a day, and i know its not enough and tea also dehydrates you any advice would be great :)

Drink sparkling water.. it has great flavor.
    I also add spenda to water

yea I love the lime-flavored Perrier cans you can get in the soda isle

but they are expensive as *kitten*

WHY do the big bottles only come in the lemon flavor? like...*kitten*
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Tea doesn't dehydrate you. The mild dehydrating effects of caffeine are overcome by the fact that tea is 99.999% water. Tea is ultimately hydrating.
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    erockem wrote: »
    I drink room temp water

Me too! Too cold water is much harder for me to drink quickly. I also keep my filtered pitcher on the counter near the sink and find I drink much more water since not storing it in the fridge.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Try adding lemons or strawberries to it.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I add one lemon (splitted) and cucumber slices to a gallon pitcher of plain water and keep it in the fridge. It is great in the summer.

Cheers

Ooh, that sounds tasty. I do lemon water but I've never tried adding watermelon before. Mmm.