Help!

Options
I posted yesterday, but only got one response, so here it is again. Ok, so I've lost almost 24 lbs now, and have about 40 to go, and everything is tightening up except my stomach. I've had 2 c-sections and have a flabby mess of a stomach. It has gotten smaller though but saggier. My question is should I focus on this area as I lose weight and if so, how often and what exercises or should I wait until I've lost more weight and then focus on that area. I am aware that it will never be as it was b4 children, but I have faith it can look much better and without surgery :)

Replies

• jeff261159
    jeff261159 Posts: 385
    Options
    Im no expert, but i would recommend 5 sets of five reps doing sit ups, every day and see how it goes. Dont overdo it, hope it goes ok
  • Linnleex3
    Linnleex3 Posts: 20
    Options
    My mum has the same problem and the only solution she has found to work is plastic surgery. The reason would be because the scar tissure is causing the skin to hang and it's all just become fat. And Yes, the smaller you are, the worse it is. I would see about getting a referal to a plastic surgeon and applying to your insurance. If you can't get it that way, there is sometime the option of doing financing plans. Hope this helps :)
  • BrieGoorts
    BrieGoorts Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hey there!
    I wish I could offer a definite solution but I have the same issue. I've done lots of research and all I can find is to do ab exercises that work all of your ab muscles.
    So basically normal crunches, and then one where your on your back knees bent at 90degrees and instead of bringing your head up you basically roll your butt and legs up haha. And then of course crossover crunches, where your right elbow would go to your left knee.
    That's what I do and I'm hoping for results after a bit.
  • urbanhomesteader
    Options
    while i haven't had an c-sections, i have some droopy skin on my stomach as well after losing the fist 60 pounds. for me, the only things that consistantly works is pilates. i found a 20 minute routine on dvd that i can do at home a few times a week and it makes all the difference. (when i actually stick at it. lol.)
  • rachelboddy
    rachelboddy Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I agree about the scar tissue. I watched some doctor show about it. You may be able to get it down quite a bit on your own, but I believe it will always hang down (extra skin and maybe some fat) because of the scar tissue ruining the elasticity of your skin. Without the elasticity, the skin won't move back in place once you've lost the weight. My boyfriend has poor elasticity and he's having a similar problem with his stomach after losing 40lbs. He might always have loose skin there unless he gets vain enough and wants it surgically removed.

Keep up the good work! There are ways to at least improve it a lot! Never give up, you're doing fantastic and I'm proud of how far you've gotten!
  • mrsjcmyles
    mrsjcmyles Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! :)
  • Reverie09
    Reverie09 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have had 2 c-sections as well. After my 1st one I was able to tone my tummy up pretty good. Yes it will never be back to the way it was before, but it can get to a decent looking place if you work at it. No matter what kind of work out I do for the day, I always do at least 10 minutes of abs. I personally recommend any kind of pilates abs work out. They really work all areas of the tummy. I feel it more with the pilates abs then with any other ab routine or just sits ups and things. Hope this helps! :)
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a c-section, but I did have a appendectomy and two children. So, I basically have half a c-section scar that has been stretched and mutilated and twisted beyond belief. At 135 pounds (I'm 131 now) I had pretty much lost all hope that the flab over the scar would ever disappear. Then about 3 weeks ago I started doing Zumba on the Wii and have seen quite a bit of tightening in this area which has renewed my hope that I will someday be flab-less. So, I totally recommend Zumba.
    :flowerforyou: Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • mrsjcmyles
    mrsjcmyles Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I agree about the scar tissue. I watched some doctor show about it. You may be able to get it down quite a bit on your own, but I believe it will always hang down (extra skin and maybe some fat) because of the scar tissue ruining the elasticity of your skin. Without the elasticity, the skin won't move back in place once you've lost the weight. My boyfriend has poor elasticity and he's having a similar problem with his stomach after losing 40lbs. He might always have loose skin there unless he gets vain enough and wants it surgically removed.

Keep up the good work! There are ways to at least improve it a lot! Never give up, you're doing fantastic and I'm proud of how far you've gotten!

Thank u! That's really helpful.
  • LG61820
    LG61820 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Tracy Anderson's Mat Method and Post-Pregnancy Workouts. No miracles yet, but I remain hopeful. I would also google Callanetics and/or Core Fusion. These are all different kinds of movements than the typical ab workouts we are used to. Most are based on ballet or Pilates. You can find lots of examples on YouTube if you want to see what kinds of workouts they are.