Meal Replacement Shakes

Options
As a busy college student, I find that I don't have time to prepare healthy meals or run to the dining hall all the time. I'm interested in trying some meal replacement shakes that are reasonably affordable, taste good, and help with my weight loss journey. Any suggestions??

Replies

• BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    Plant Fusion. It's all good stuff, tons of protein, low calorie, all vegan/organic/natural, mixes easily in water, tastes great (I've only tried vanilla bean)
    Check it out: http://www.plantfusion.net
    And no, I don't work for them.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    The problem with meal replacement shakes is that they teach you nothing about calorie counts and portion sizes. Yes, you can lose weight.....but then how do you keep the weight you lost from creeping back up. The vast majority of people who lose weight gain it back again.

If you want to go the shake route....at least look into making your own. Start with some protein powder, add veggies, fruit and some fat (say peanut butter). Well rounded with protein, fat and fiber. That way you know what you are getting.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    In your case, I'd suggest getting some protein powder (as a college student, the pricier - and generally higher quality - powders may be pretty much out of the question, so even a cheaper one is probably OK) and some fruit. Blend them together with either milk or water (whatever liquid you want, really) and enjoy.

You can find plenty of recipes online (google is your friend) to see what you may like.

eta: ninja'd by TeaBea
  • Dawn410
    Dawn410 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I like to drink the Aldi brand version of the special K shakes, I think they taste better than the name brand and cost half as much!
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    In your case, I'd suggest getting some protein powder (as a college student, the pricier - and generally higher quality - powders may be pretty much out of the question, so even a cheaper one is probably OK) and some fruit. Blend them together with either milk or water (whatever liquid you want, really) and enjoy.

You can find plenty of recipes online (google is your friend) to see what you may like.

eta: ninja'd by TeaBea

This. Things like Slimfast/other meal replacement shakes are more expensive and not good for the long term. If you are going this route, I'd recommend investing in a Magic Bullet blender, and taking a few minutes to make them in your dorm.
  • Cheri1218
    Cheri1218 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Dawn410 wrote: »
    I like to drink the Aldi brand version of the special K shakes, I think they taste better than the name brand and cost half as much!

I have one of these every night as my evening "treat." 190 calories, protein and fiber, tastes like chocolate milk. I enjoy them! Kroger has a store brand too.
  • chubarellasjourney
    chubarellasjourney Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna start using Walmart's Equate meal replacement shakes twice a day and see how that works for me
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I'm gonna start using Walmart's Equate meal replacement shakes twice a day and see how that works for me

They are 170 calories a shake with only 10g of protein in them. Not a very good meal replacer. Make sure you eat enough protein during the day, and enough calories; you do not want to lose lean body mass.
  • crzycylr
    crzycylr Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I suggest you spend the time the night before preparing. You are trying to make changes for good, not a temp change. Shakes aren't realistic long term. Plus, don't you like to chew, hahaha!
  • BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I love VegaOne chocolate powder (mixed with almond milk and a banana (and it -has- to be blended with a blender, otherwise it doesn't mix well). I like the way it tastes prepared that way, and I don't use it because I'm a vegan or vegetarian. It has all three macros, vitamins, and minerals.

I'm a medical student and I know that sometimes you just need something easy, quick, and healthy. I know a lot of people will steer you away from them, but I think they are a good option when you need them. I don't have one every day, maybe about 3 times per week?
  • Anna83704
    Anna83704 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    BioQueen wrote: »
    I love VegaOne chocolate powder (mixed with almond milk and a banana (and it -has- to be blended with a blender, otherwise it doesn't mix well). I like the way it tastes prepared that way, and I don't use it because I'm a vegan or vegetarian. It has all three macros, vitamins, and minerals.

I'm a medical student and I know that sometimes you just need something easy, quick, and healthy. I know a lot of people will steer you away from them, but I think they are a good option when you need them. I don't have one every day, maybe about 3 times per week?

Thanks for this! I've been looking for a vegan protein powder that didn't taste horrible and wasn't as pricey as my previous vegan option.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    The problem with meal replacement shakes is that they teach you nothing about calorie counts and portion sizes. Yes, you can lose weight.....but then how do you keep the weight you lost from creeping back up. The vast majority of people who lose weight gain it back again.

If you want to go the shake route....at least look into making your own. Start with some protein powder, add veggies, fruit and some fat (say peanut butter). Well rounded with protein, fat and fiber. That way you know what you are getting.

If she makes her own shakes, then she can take that time to simply prepare a meal that can be eaten.

They are 170 calories a shake with only 10g of protein in them. Not a very good meal replacer. Make sure you eat enough protein during the day, and enough calories; you do not want to lose lean body mass.

This too. That's why eating food with high protein is important.
    crzycylr wrote: »
    I suggest you spend the time the night before preparing. You are trying to make changes for good, not a temp change. Shakes aren't realistic long term. Plus, don't you like to chew, hahaha!

And 100% this.

@tgoetschius, you need to eat real food because shakes can only sustain you so long, and they get pretty expensive after awhile too. If you are trying to lose weight, there is no magic in meal replacement shakes, the magic is in eating at a calorie deficit.

• Keelahopkin
    Keelahopkin Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Love Pure Protein Plus powder and Costco sells Premier Protein in premixed. Pure is 140 cal, 23 gms of protein, and a good balance of vitamins. Premier is 160 cal and 30 gms protein. Both are on the cheaper side
  • eileensofianmushinfine
    eileensofianmushinfine Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    As a meal replacement, you want a shake that has upwards of 20+ grams of protein. I buy my protein powder at the gym, mix it with ice and 8 oz of 1% milk and recently have added 2 Tbsps of PB2 (powdered peanut butter)...mix in a blender...Totally yummy and easily holds me until lunch.
  • littlehedgy
    littlehedgy Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I sometimes will drink a protein shake because I work straight 6 hour shifts at work in my two breaks are spent pumping for my son. I have a weird thing where I don't like to eat while I'm pumping so my only option if I want to get protein in is a shake. I like Garden of Life vegan protein powder. my son is allergic to milk so way protein is out and I'm not comfortable with soy protein for him either. the Garden of Life has several different flavor that I personally really like. Their coffee flavor even has caffeine which helps me not buy a $5 800 calorie frou frou coffee
  • Strawili
    Strawili Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Shakes are not good.. I haven't found one dietitian that agrees with them. If you're on the go, I'd suggest finding some healthier alternatives that you can eat while mobile. They're not horrible in moderation, but every day is going to end up doing you less good than you'd think.

They're loaded in sugar, and you're definitely going to feel that crash.
  • Kandersonparker
    Kandersonparker Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I like Syntha-6. 15 carbs, 22 protein, 6 fat, 200 calories.