Yoga - 30 day challenge

Replies

• Vune
    Vune Posts: 672 Member
    kinga_m wrote: »
    Hi there,

I am planning to do today's yoga in the evening. I am not a morning person although I am planning to try out at least once yoga in the morning, before work. But I am not there yet. :smile:

How about you? Are you planning to do it in the morning / in the evening?

I prefer my yoga at night, too. I'll do mountain pose and forward fold throughout the day to stay grounded. That's a big problem of mine. My head is always in the clouds. I'll also sit it half lotus or bound angle at my computer on computer days.

I was in a ton of gallbladder pain yesterday. I did a lot of sitting in easy pose and massaging it and reclining on my left side to encourage draining. My boyfriend asked me for more back stretches. He already does extended child pose and sphinx, so after we did those together, we did cat and cow. Maybe one day I'll get him to take a class or workshop with me! The studio within walking distance from his apartment has all kinds of fun looking workshops! Yoga and chocolate...
  • BTClan
    BTClan Posts: 16 Member
    I started practicing in January and love it! I go to a studio on a regular basis but like the idea of doing even just one pose a day. I have also managed to lose 35 pounds as well and I definitely contribute yoga to the weight loss. I see myself sticking with this for the long haul. I will hit 50 next year and love the idea that I can be flexible and in good shape while I age.
  • BTClan
    BTClan Posts: 16 Member
    kinga_m wrote: »
    Hi there,

I am planning to do today's yoga in the evening. I am not a morning person although I am planning to try out at least once yoga in the morning, before work. But I am not there yet. :smile:

How about you? Are you planning to do it in the morning / in the evening?

I currently practice in the evenings. I say whenever you can get exercise go for it!

• kinga_m
    kinga_m Posts: 24 Member
    I tried out the yoga video @lakelochness linked in. It was enjoyable even in the evening.

The strange thing is about practicing yoga at home, that I can do whichever pose I want for as long as I want.
    I think I am gonna like it! :wink:

Tomorrow is gonna be challenging as I will not be back at home until almost midnight. So I will try to just put some relaxing music on and do some really easy exercise to leave the day's stress behind.
    I know it should make more sense to do it in the morning instead, but I just can not picture myself yet to get up earlier for yoga. Maybe next week I am going to be stronger.
    This whole "If it does not challenge you, it won't change you" saying echoing in me all day. :smile:

I hope @Vune that your operation is going to be successful. It sounds like you did your best to prepare and you will be alright soon! :smile:
  • JLarkin32
    JLarkin32 Posts: 1 Member
    I am a day late, but I am also going to do the 30 day challenge with you. I think I will be using the same 30 Days Of Yoga with Adrienne program that @jonrenly used, since the whole program is free and emailed to you every day.

• kinga_m
    That sounds like a good plan! And there is a reason why I have not added date to the name of this conversation - I want people to feel free to start a 30 day challenge when they feel it. :smile:

Welcome to the group!
  • Vune
    Surgery went well! It looks as though they had to make three little incisions to suck out Bile-y Cyrus (my gallbladder), but they don't hurt as much as an actual gallbladder attack. And I'm stiff and sore from being pumped full of air and fluids.

What are everyone's favorite restorative asana and mudras? I'm really into mudras because it's basically "hand yoga" in the simplest terms, and I'm planning to become bilingual by learning ASL. Graceful hands, body, and mind!
  • scr183
    scr183 Posts: 49 Member
    I do at least a few asana daily and attend class 2-3 times a week...and I am currently working through YWA's 30 Days of Yoga for the third time. Love her practices and her humor.

@Vune -- I squeed a little when I read your reference to Daria. I adored that show. :) I am just starting to learn mudras, but I've been using Prithvi during balance practices and like it. As far as restorative poses -- supported seated wide-legged forward fold, extended child's pose, crocodile, legs up the wall, and supported bridge are my go-tos when I feel the need to slow down or I don't feel well. I also like to relax in savasana with legs in a supported cobbler's pose (I usually just prop my knees on folded blankets) and a blanket over my hips/abdomen. Just feels yummy.
  • kinga_m
    Morning, Everybody!

@Vune - I am happy the surgery went well. :smile: It is going to be better from now on.

How is everybody doing? It is the 4th day. I had a yoga class on the first day and two home practices on Monday and Tuesday. Really short ones as I don't really know what I am doing. I have attended classes for years and now I realized how much I was depending on somebody telling me what to do and for how long. It is a learning process to me. :smile:

Anyway, today and tomorrow I am going to classes. :wink:

How are you doing?
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Vune wrote: »
    What are everyone's favorite restorative asana and mudras? I'm really into mudras because it's basically "hand yoga" in the simplest terms, and I'm planning to become bilingual by learning ASL. Graceful hands, body, and mind!
    Hope you make a speedy recovery. What about Pranayama, do you work on that? I'm not very experienced with it and struggle with it most days. My favorite is Bhramari which does have an associated mudra.
  • yoginimary
    Great job kinga_m for developing a home practice!
  • yoginimary
    Oh, as far as restoratives go, I like practicing all the standing poses lying down. Basically, put your feet to the wall (rather than the floor) and have your back to the floor, then make the shape of the standing pose.
  • kimberlyjoy159
    kimberlyjoy159 Posts: 23 Member
    Vune-Thanks so much for the encouragement about the transplant! My sister is being evaluated today , and the transplant team says yeah or nay on Monday. I have appt. for my donor evaluation in three weeks. Our goal is to keep her off dialysis, but she is going downhill quickly!

Thanks to all for the great yoga suggestions! I am resuming the practice after being lax for several years. I found it to be the most beneficial for weight control, strength and flexibility, and peace of mind. It is the only exercise that I have tried that successfully addressed my pear shape body. One of the reasons I lapsed was the distance To travel to a class, so I appreciate the on-line resources. However, I too am enjoying the freedom to hold a pose as long as I like. I have to be careful to push myself while still maintaining that relaxed mood.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    I'm enjoying the grounding and power aspects of it.

I think tonight we will either focus on runners yoga or upper body. it's good being the teacher :P
  • CarolPre
    CarolPre Posts: 1,843 Member
    There's just no way I can do it every day. I managed it on Sunday and Monday nights, but didn't make it yesterday. If I can get in 3 days a week, I'll be happy with that.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    maybe try practicing one pose for five min?
    it doesn't need to be a full asana. just saying
  • kinga_m
    Thank you, @yoginimary! :smile:

@CarolPre - I am having difficulties as well, but the important thing is to try.
    My aim is to do at least 15-20 minutes yoga a day - and don't want to hate yoga at the end!

So on the worst days I would recommend some breathing exercises, sitting comfortably on the floor / mat and then lie down and relax every muscles in your body.
    Even that would have a great impact on the stress level!

I have managed to do it on Tuesday, even if it was just 20 minutes and I was just hopping from one exercise to the other. I feel like this was a big challenge because it was so late and it would have been sooooo easy to skip!

Anyway, trying is good. It is a lifestyle, not just a challenge, so adjust it to your feelings and do as much as you feel good about. :smile:
  • Vune
    I've been sticking to a lot of deep breathing. I get up every hour or two to walk around, but the four holes in my belly mostly want to be left alone. I finished one mandala, and I'm planning another one to start after my nap. It's a nice little meditation. I can't wait to have enough to fill my walls at home.

I am so glad I dedicated myself to a practice before this surgery. It's been helpful to be able to pick things up with my feet, or to drop into a plie without bending at the waist.
  • kinga_m
    We started this challenge a week ago. How is everybody?

I had a really sporty day yesterday so I am resting today - sticking to yoga. :smile:
  • Vune
    I've been doing a whole lot of corpse pose while healing. It's not really much to post about! I got intensely sad this morning, and realized I was pacing around my tiny bedroom, so I stopped and did mountain pose for some grounding. I think about the past too much.