Tips for someone with cartilage damage in both knees...need a new gym routine.

Hi All...
I have a cartillage tear in 1 knee and damage in the other. At the moment I am a tugging in the gym with what to do since the pain has got quite bad. For years I've managed it and been able to do what I like in the gym however know I've been told by a "medical professional" to only use a bike, cross trainer and rowing machine. Naturally this is going to be a slow process from what I was use to. I would appreciate any advice from workouts to supplement, food etc.
Thanks peeps

Replies

• pk85priya
    pk85priya Posts: 4 Member
    Struggling*
  • adcrag1
    adcrag1 Posts: 10 Member
    Wow, I understand. I have bilateral knee replacements. Once my damage was repaired throu h surgery and got ok from doctor & PT I started slow.

Have your PT suggest a gym workout. That's what I did, good luck.

If all else fails, ride the bike. Some movement is better that none!
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Cartilage tears typically make you a candidate for surgery if they're causing pain/lowering your quality of life. You're only 30, this is definitely something you should be working to address.

I've done multiple meniscus tears, did partial tears to 3 out of the 4 ligaments in my one knee and I run 3-4 days a week now. With proper treatment and pain management, with how young you are, most knee injuries you can make significant progress with.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    pk85priya wrote: »
    Hi All...
    I have a cartillage tear in 1 knee and damage in the other. At the moment I am a tugging in the gym with what to do since the pain has got quite bad. For years I've managed it and been able to do what I like in the gym however know I've been told by a "medical professional" to only use a bike, cross trainer and rowing machine. Naturally this is going to be a slow process from what I was use to. I would appreciate any advice from workouts to supplement, food etc.
    Thanks peeps

No doc will say no to working out in the pool. I run in the pool, swim, do aerobics, things I could never do on land.

No pressure on the joints in the pool. I too have messed up knees and a lot of stiffness/pain ..it sucks! :s Sorry you're having to deal with this!
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    I've got osteoarthritis so I can't run. Rowing, biking, and the elliptical are my go-tos. Rowing especially kicks my @$$--you can get a fantastic whole-body workout with it.
  • pk85priya
    pk85priya Posts: 4 Member
    Thanks for the advice...will definitely take all of the above on board ✌