Fat vs LBM

Options
Merkavar
Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
ok so no need to mention scales are inaccurate etc I think everyone is aware that scales and just about every body fat measurements are inaccurate.

So say you have a scale and it says your 25% fat meaning you have 75% LBM right?

So say you lose 1kg of weight and according to the scale you lost 750g of fat and 250g of LBM.

LBM isn't just muscles right? So you haven't lost 250g of muscle but LBM which includes blood and everything else that isn't fat doesn't it?

So are there statistics/averages etc out there for what LBM loses are generally made up of?

Like say you need 1L of blood per 12kg of weight, wouldn't your body produce less blood as you lose weight and therefore your LBM would drop. The blood is just a guess/example.

Does this make sense or am I just rambling? Am I looking at this too closely or expectin too much from a topic that is a bit wishy washy and based on the individual?

Replies

• sdlubala
    sdlubala Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It used to be underwater weighing was the gold standard for calculating fat percentage but usually only hospitals and universities studying metabolism have the facilities for doing that. Many people have fatty liver syndrome even if they are not drinkers of alcohol. That is what makes abdominal fat so dangerous. I don't know what percent of people with excess adipose tissue (fat) around their middles are candidates for fatty liver but blood work should show that. If you are a man with a waist greater than 40 inches or a woman with a waist greater than 35 inches liver function should be tested.
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    I am here In pittsburgh and once a year I go to UPMC and have a bod pod test done. They put you in a egg shaped contraption that measures your bf% and lbm. They will also measure your brm. It is fairly cheap At 80%. This will be my 3rd year and it has helped me better set my goals. Perhaps give that a try locally and then see what your scale says.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    ok so no need to mention scales are inaccurate etc I think everyone is aware that scales and just about every body fat measurements are inaccurate.

So say you have a scale and it says your 25% fat meaning you have 75% LBM right?

So say you lose 1kg of weight and according to the scale you lost 750g of fat and 250g of LBM.

LBM isn't just muscles right? So you haven't lost 250g of muscle but LBM which includes blood and everything else that isn't fat doesn't it?

So are there statistics/averages etc out there for what LBM loses are generally made up of?

Like say you need 1L of blood per 12kg of weight, wouldn't your body produce less blood as you lose weight and therefore your LBM would drop. The blood is just a guess/example.

Does this make sense or am I just rambling? Am I looking at this too closely or expecting too much from a topic that is a bit wishy washy and based on the individual?

Yes re blood:
    http://gurumagazine.org/askaguru/do-fat-people-have-more-blood-than-thin-people
    A normal sized person has between 4.5L and 5L (about 8.5 pints). For every additional kilogram (2 pounds) of weight, blood volume goes up by a little over 1% (60 ml, or 2 fluid ounces).