Trying to figure out calorie count

Options
So i'm currently doing Les Mills Combat with is a beach body program. It says i need to eat 1,900 calories in order to loose weight. MyFitnesspal has me at 1,200. Should i stick to 1,200 or go to 1,900? I'm not 100% sure on this.

Replies

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Both are probably wrong.

How did Les Mills come up with 1900? Or do they just give you that number.

And, guessing, you set up MFP and went straight for the 2lb/wk option, which would give you 1200 unless you were pretty obese.

MFP uses the NEAT method (calories burned for your age, sex, height, weight, activity level) but doesn't factor exercise.

TDEE includes exercise. You can find decent TDEE calculators on the IIFYM site among others.

MFP takes the NEAT calculation and deducts 500 calories / day for every pound /wk weight loss. 1 lb = 3500 calories, 2 lbs/wk = 7000 calorie/wk deficit = 1000 calorie/day deficit.

If your NEAT comes to 2100 calories (for example), 2lbs would be 1100 and MFP gives you 1200 as the minimum.

If your NEAT is 2100, and Les Mills is giving you 1900, that's 200 calorie deficit/day, 1400/wk, not even .5 lb.

• jschug
    jschug Posts: 19 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    @bpetrosky you have to ask them. They take the body weight then X that by 10.They so go up or down 100-200 calories. Kind of confusing.
  • jschug
    jschug Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    @BILLBRYTAN To get healthy and fit.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Well you wouldn't be sticking with 1200 anyway .. that's your basic calorie allowance (based on the goals you've set) without purposeful exercise, like your bodyfit classes.

Re-set your goal weight loss to around 1% of your bodyweight
    Make sure your activity level is appropriate to your lifestyle excluding exercise
    Log your exercise, but if using the MFP database half the calories and eat them to

Dependent on your starting weight you'll probably end up eating around 1500 - 1800 calories on the MFP method anyway

oh and I believe BillBrytan was making a joke about a standard spelling error that people tend to make

.. Lose (to lose weight) vs Loose (my pants are loose) have different meanings
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    I'm very practical when it comes to calorie goals. What I do and what I recommend to people is to eat at a calorie level that allows you to make good progress towards your goal. If you are trying to lose weight, eat so you drop 1-2 lbs/week. This assumes an average calorie burn from you getting in all of your workouts. This will be different for everyone, so you'll have to do some trial and error to figure it out. I'd start ~1600 cal/day. Hit this goal, along with your macros and getting in your workouts, for 2 weeks. If you lose 1-2 lbs/week, you're good to go. If you lose too much, increase your intake and repeat. If you don't lose enough, reduce your intake a bit and repeat. After a few cycles, you'll figure out what works for you in your situation.