Lifting heavy but still got bingo wings - Help!

Options
Hi,

I'm female and 29 years old. I weigh about 150lbs and am roughly 25% body fat. I originally started with about 1 year of moderate exercise (general weight loss, DVDS, walking etc.) and this last year has been much more intense exercise focusing on body weight reps and HIIT. Now I’ve been lifting heavy for about 3 months and loving it. However, whilst I've noticed a huge difference in most of my body I cannot seem to decrease the fatty parts under my arms (Triceps, or in my case bingo wings!). My biceps are pretty solid and when I twist my arm I have a tricep muscle but the fat still hangs low when holding my arm up (think waving position). Seeing as I’ve been doing push ups and tricep dips (etc.) for more than a year and now with the heavy lifting should I be noticing more of a difference? I know everyone changes at different paces but I was wondering if anyone had any tips for exercises that help this area? I am relatively new to heavy lifting so maybe I’m missing some good exercises. Or maybe I’m eating incorrectly. Any tips would be great.

Just to note, i have other bits of fatty stores too (thighs and love handles - classic womanly fatty places) but I’m content that I can see these changing slowly so I don’t think I’m being too impatient!

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    What programme are you following?

(the answer will be time, body fat reduction and a progressive lifting programme but you still may have excess skin cos genetics)
  • NaomiMc_Ra
    NaomiMc_Ra Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have a trainer once a week but I lift 3 times a week (once with her and 2 by myself). We're doing compound weight movements mainly such as deadlifts, lunges, squats, pull-ups and dips (amongst other things). Doing 6 reps and 3 sets for the majority of the free weight exercises and increasing weights once a week.

Yeah genetics is something that's niggling away in the back of my mind but I’m determined for that not to be the case!
  • Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    The fluff will shift eventually just give it time. Everyone is different in where they lose from first and in what order. When I first started dieting the first place I noticed getting noticeably leaner was my groin area! then slowly I started to shred from the top down but it took till I hit around 18% bf for my arms to shred. It was actually fun watching the fat come off each area and seeing the process.
  • amwoidyla
    amwoidyla Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Are you sure it's not just your unflexed tricep? My calves look like they carry more fat than they really do unflexed.

My love handles are my last to lose zone. Keep it up, it will come off eventually!
  • NaomiMc_Ra
    NaomiMc_Ra Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    When flexed its better but still hangs loose
  • Kriistabell
    Kriistabell Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I wish I had tips for you! I have the same problem and so does every woman in my family. I'm the only one doing anything about it and still not seeing results. Genetics are a b!tch. However, I do think it's possible to minimize a bit with very slow progress. I just have never seen any in my own life. Hope is the word.