Gaining Muscle Weight?

Options
Hi, I'm having some trouble coping with the number on the scale. I've started Stronglifts 3 weeks ago and recently my weigtloss slowed down, and in fact I'm gaining weight. I have no doubt that my BF% is going down as I can see the changes, but I can't really wrap my head around the numbers!
How have you dealt with this?

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Kennethxyz wrote: »
    Hi, I'm having some trouble coping with the number on the scale. I've started Stronglifts 3 weeks ago and recently my weigtloss slowed down, and in fact I'm gaining weight. I have no doubt that my BF% is going down as I can see the changes, but I can't really wrap my head around the numbers!
    How have you dealt with this?

water retention for muscle repair

ignore it
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    it will even out in a few weeks

You will never regret a programme like stronglifts

muscles make your body tight and fit and awesome
  • Liftin4food
    Liftin4food Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I remember seeing a post a few weeks after I started lifting that helped me get my head around this. It went something like this:

When you lift your muscles hold onto more water for repair. This shows as a gain on the scale. Each time you lift more repair needed - so still holding onto that water. When you start to lift you'll see a gain (water), let your weight settle - that is your new baseline weight. Forget your old number - that was a weight from when your body was in a different place.

I do still freak out a little at times - but I have access to body fat reading scales at the gym (I know that they aren't accurate - but I'm looking at the trend). And I do measurements. As long as some of those numbers are reducing, even if the scale one isn't I know I'm doing something right.
  • follyman
    follyman Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Diet + strong lifts works great IMO. It took 3 weeks for me to see my first "weight loss" with SL, and since than(2 months) another 20 lbs has come off. Practice form, watch videos on YouTube for it and just keep pushing on. Don't get too hung up on the scales. Take pictures and measurements for motivation. The thing that motivates me is warm up weights that I remembered were so heavy when I was at them feel like a feather. Keep on keeping on.
  • Kennethxyz
    Kennethxyz Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    follyman wrote: »
    Diet + strong lifts works great IMO. It took 3 weeks for me to see my first "weight loss" with SL, and since than(2 months) another 20 lbs has come off. Practice form, watch videos on YouTube for it and just keep pushing on. Don't get too hung up on the scales. Take pictures and measurements for motivation. The thing that motivates me is warm up weights that I remembered were so heavy when I was at them feel like a feather. Keep on keeping on.
    Thanks thats waht i've been doing, Except ignoring the scale ;)

• Kennethxyz
    Kennethxyz Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Thats what I hope
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    No one can see the number on the scale; everyone can see how you look.

The time in my life when I wore the smallest size clothes was when I weighed the most--almost 160 pounds. If I asked anyone what they thought I weighed, the answer was around 125. I was a heavy lifting fool and smokin' hot. Don't worry about the scale.
  • moontime
    moontime Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I gained about 10-15 when I upped my weight workout. It's disconcerting but my clothes still all fit so I'm dealing with it.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

Thats what I hope

What results do you think will happen with stronglifts + being in a consistent calorie deficit=?
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

Thats what I hope

What results do you think will happen with stronglifts + being in a consistent calorie deficit=?

me, me, me

He will lose scale weight whilst preserving as much LBM as possible ..Bob
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

Thats what I hope

me, me, me

He will lose scale weight whilst preserving as much LBM as possible ..Bob

You forgot about a faster drop in body fat %. :tongue: