Im dying to lose my beer belly

Options
GarySnape
GarySnape Posts: 4 Member
edited June 2015 in Introduce Yourself
hi all I'm Gary 34, I've just started using this app this week and it's great. My goal in life is to try my hardest to get fit and stay healthy and NOT GIVE UP. I've joined my local gym and I go there 4-5 times a week. My weight at the moment is 92.5 kg which is nearly 15 stone. If anyone can help me or tell me which is the best way to get good abs. Thanks people :smile:

Replies

• ed00ze
    ed00ze Posts: 1 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Mate, I'm 30 and 99.5 kgs - in a similar boat. It's the beer that kills us. gotta start with cardio to get your skill up, and your body used to exercise. Once you lose some of the weight it's time for crunches! Just remember it's 70% diet and 30% exercise - discipline is your best friend. Good luck - (to both of us, right?)
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I had a huge beer gut for most of my adult life. I started out walking to get some exercise thinking that I can't run due to knee pain. My kids bought me a Fitbit and an Aria Fitbit scale (WiFi). I singed up to MFP a year and a half ago and can tell you eating at a deficit works. I stared playing Ingress (Ingress,com) to give me something to do on my walks. The walking turned to running. Well the gut is the last to go but I did it. Lost 50 pounds and my gut. I have even had customers say "oh I thought Scott was coming" "I am Scott". I trained myself to eat better and don't feel the need to log anymore but I am staying active. Go for it, you wont regret it. Its about changing lifestyle not a diet. I didn't start until I was 53. I now have lowered my blood pressure, dropped cholesterol 50 points, stopped snoring, cured insomnia and run half marathons for fun. I still drink beer too.
  • GarySnape
    Options
    Cheers ed yeah the beer is a no no for me now and thanks for the tip. My mate told me about a guy called Shaun T insanity so I'm going to try that. Wish me luck.

• 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
  • GarySnape
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    I had a huge beer gut for most of my adult life. I started out walking to get some exercise thinking that I can't run due to knee pain. My kids bought me a Fitbit and an Aria Fitbit scale (WiFi). I singed up to MFP a year and a half ago and can tell you eating at a deficit works. I stared playing Ingress (Ingress,com) to give me something to do on my walks. The walking turned to running. Well the gut is the last to go but I did it. Lost 50 pounds and my gut. I have even had customers say "oh I thought Scott was coming" "I am Scott". I trained myself to eat better and don't feel the need to log anymore but I am staying active. Go for it, you wont regret it. Its about changing lifestyle not a diet. I didn't start until I was 53. I now have lowered my blood pressure, dropped cholesterol 50 points, stopped snoring, cured insomnia and run half marathons for fun. I still drink beer too.

Wow!! well done Scott if you can do it at your age and not give up then anyone can do it. Thanks for replying to me and I will do my best on beating the flab lol. Oh and I'll try that gadget out as well. All I can do is one day at a time and hope I see results. :smile:
  • 6205db
    6205db Posts: 6 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    GOOGLE THE BOOK CALLED "WHEAT BELLY." IT CHANGED MY LIFE... BEER CONTAINS GLUTEN, A DERIVATIVE OF WHEAT. GLUTEN HAS PROVEN TO INCREASE BELLY FAT AND "MAN BOOBS" AS WELL AS SEVERAL OTHER NEGATIVE HEALTH EFFECTS. IT'S NOT EASY AT FIRST BUT IF YOU CAN GIVE UP WHEAT AND STICK TO OTHER COMPLEX CARBS INSTEAD, YOU'LL SEE A DIFFERENCE IN THAT TARGETED AREA! ALSO, WEIGHT LOSS IS 80% FOOD AND ONLY 20% EXERCISE. IT'S VERY IMPORTANT TO WATCH YOUR MACRONUTRIENTS (CARBS-VS-PROTEIN-VS-FAT) AND NOT JUST FOCUS ON TOTAL CALORIES AND EXERCISE. YOU CAN DO IT!!! :)
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I'd try to lose my beer belly but I think that would entail giving up beer. I'll just keep blaming it on my c-sections. lol. Kidding. Seriously though, you can't spot reduce.
  • LouLouStBijou
    LouLouStBijou Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    My husband started watching his portion sizes and cutting way back on beer in the winter time. He also started with moderate exercise about 4 times a week...he was dropping a couple of pounds a week easy and then he really ramped up the exercise and started riding his bike a lot. In the last few months he is down 30+ pounds and has no more beer belly, very little snoring, blood pressure is way down and the weight loss in his face makes him look at least ten years younger. Every time I look at him I see the man I was first attracted to again, it is such a lovely and welcome return to health for him and for me. Good luck!!!
  • GarySnape
    Options
    Thanks everyone for you comments I have given up the beer and I'm trying to stick to a healthy diet. Also not giving up on going to the gym. I do hope I can turn my life around and walk down the street feeling good and proud of myself. I hope you're all feeling proud of yourselves and good luck on hitting your target weight.
  • herculean1982
    herculean1982 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm with you. Beer is my downfall. I exercise a LOT but the beer counteracts a lot of it :( My own fault! Must do better.
  • itsthehumidity
    itsthehumidity Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    GarySnape wrote: »
    Cheers ed yeah the beer is a no no for me now and thanks for the tip. My mate told me about a guy called Shaun T insanity so I'm going to try that. Wish me luck.

You're new, and that's great. Good for you for making the first step. First, read this:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1

Someone else linked it, and I wanted to emphasize that this is good advice. The path you're embarking on now is unlikely to be sustainable. What most people do is decide one day to make a change, which is good, but they feel the need to make maximum changes, and believe that the only way to make progress is to endure brutal workouts while eating awful food and saying no to every single indulgence. It must be that hard, right? But what's going to happen is this is going to be too much, too fast, and you'll burn out within 3 months if you make it that long. A huge percentage of people who apply the method you're using give up by this point.

Instead, do some more research about sound dietary practices. You'll find that the good resources that aren't invested in selling you supplements will converge on the following:

1. Find a way to estimate your TDEE (number of calories you burn each day). It'll ask you your activity level, assume you're sedentary. Subtract 500 from the number you get. Eat this many calories.
    2. Be accountable for the food you eat, and use a tracker like MFP to ensure you don't eat more than this TDEE-500 number you just came up with.
    3. Do strength training that focuses on compound barbell lifts, specifically squat, deadlift, bench press, overhead press. I recommend Starting Strength for its unparalleled ability to teach good form. It's good to add pullups, rows, and dips. No need for ab-specific exercises like crunches until you know enough to know why you can add them in.
    4. Get a bit more advanced with your nutrition and track macronutrients. Set protein to 1g per pound of lean mass, set fat to 20% of total calories, and the rest carbohydrates. Follow a sustainable 80/20 rule where 20% of your total calories come from whatever foods you want.
    5. Drink enough water and get enough sleep.
    6. Weigh yourself weekly under similar conditions.
    7. Add cardio in once you've done a lot of reading and understand its place in your routine.
    8. Understand that these changes are forever, buddy, so choose habits you feel like you don't mind doing until the day you die. Well, I mean you don't have to, but you'll end up back where you are now and likely worse.

You can drink beer if you want to, and eat pizza and ice cream, SO LONG AS you keep your macros and calories in check. Take a multivitamin and fish oil. Get most of your protein and nutrients from food, but supplement to fill in the last gaps.

This is what the people are doing who look and feel better than you.
  • wanabefit2016
    wanabefit2016 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Good luck
  • Northernlight03
    Northernlight03 Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    I love a drink at weekends...def my down fall and recently I've totally lost my motivation! I've lost 2 St so far but I need to carry on as I'm not at my goal!!! " I'm closer to my goal today than I was yesterday but il be even closer tomorrow " you can do it :)
  • marykate_1203
    marykate_1203 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me!!