Hungry Days

Options
So what do you do on days where the hunger is just so real?

Mines tend to be midweek - regardless of if I've had a big dinner the night before or even if I eat identical food each day I'll almost always get one day where I feel almost permanently hungry. Today I've had a boiled egg and crispbread for breakfast (8.30am) a sandwich, biscuit and and apple for lunch (12.30pm) and I just ate a small bag of popcorn (1.30pm), I've made it to 2 oclock and my stomach feels empty.

I've tried drinking lots of water in case it's just thirst but I could honestly eat my dinner right now! My stomach is rumbling!

Replies

• martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Eat more veggies / salad / sugar-free fat free jello / edamame pods / focus more on meats, fish, eggs, yogurts. Protein based food tends to keep one fuller, longer.

Volume food always wins.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options

Mines tend to be midweek - regardless of if I've had a big dinner the night before or even if I eat identical food each day I'll almost always get one day where I feel almost permanently hungry. Today I've had a boiled egg and crispbread for breakfast (8.30am) a sandwich, biscuit and and apple for lunch (12.30pm) and I just ate a small bag of popcorn (1.30pm), I've made it to 2 oclock and my stomach feels empty.

I've tried drinking lots of water in case it's just thirst but I could honestly eat my dinner right now! My stomach is rumbling!

That would be too many fruits and carbs for me and I would be starving. :/
    Try eating more fats and oils with protein: two eggs, cheese, yogurt, hummus, nuts, peanut butter, chia seeds, cooked or raw broccoli. :)

• Bizurke51
    Bizurke51 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I never really have hungry days unless im saving a ton of calories for later in the day or i ate a ton in the morning and its getting late.

sounds like your calorie budget must be very low, whats it set at?
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options

I get like this, too. At least one day a week I MUST EAT ALL THE FOOD! I'm pretty sure it's mental, but I allow myself to eat more on these days. This is why I look at my goal as weekly rather than daily. On days I'm not as hungry I eat less. It all evens out.

Sometimes I just say screw it and eat at maintenance for a day. I want my lifestyle to be sustainable, and it is normal to have fluctuations in hunger levels. You just have to make it work
  • lakelochness
    lakelochness Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    This is all great advice! Thank you!

I should probably add, my sandwich is absolutely PACKED with chicken and spinach! So I'm not neglecting nutrients there.

I can definitely snack on fish/eggs/greens at home but at work? I need things I can keep on my desk/in my drawer, so most of those snacks aren't an option as they'd need to be prepped in advance and I don't know I'm having a hungry day usually until I'm at work and it's 10.30 and I'm eyeing up my lunch.

Slaite1 I really love your idea of eating at maintenance, if my body needs it it needs it, I'm not a mindless/boredom eater and I don't eat unless I'm feeling hungry so you're right it should even out!
  • greekyogurtandpuppies
    greekyogurtandpuppies Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm having a hungry day today too and just solved it by eating half of a cantaloupe. I regret nothing.
  • David_2015
    David_2015 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    For me it's usually Thursday and Friday, by which time I'm tired from being at work... am usually ravenous all day lol!
  • M30834134
    M30834134 Posts: 411 Member
    Options

What is your daily caloric budget? What's your activity level?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I have hungry days too but it's typically hormonal.

In your case, it just seems to be too many carbs, not enough protein and fat. I'd be totally starving with what you're eating too, honestly. I'd ditch the crispbread (I don't know what it is, though, to be honest) or replace it with some oatmeal, for lunch I'd add some baby carrots or something (sandwiches never fill me up, personally), and I'd have some nuts or something instead of the popcorn.

Overall it's just really not much food. At your age there's no reason you should be eating so little.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I don't know why but for some reason I am always more hungry the day after a heavy weightlifting session. Yesterday was a lift day so today I ate more than I do on other days.
  • kab789
    kab789 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Eileen_S wrote: »
    I don't know why but for some reason I am always more hungry the day after a heavy weightlifting session. Yesterday was a lift day so today I ate more than I do on other days.

I find when I do a longer cardio, the next day I am always more hungry than the day I do the longer cardio. I don't know why but that is what seems to happen for me.
  • Urban_Princess
    Urban_Princess Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    guys i'm so hungry! came looking for answers...left hungrier at the thought of eating different things to help stave off the hunger haha
    I'm having a hungry day today too and just solved it by eating half of a cantaloupe. I regret nothing.
    bahaha yes.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    When I'm hungrier I eat more. When I'm less hungry, I eat less.

Unless you plan to continue counting calories for your entire life, this "eating to my hunger" is a skill you have to learn, so IMO it's best learned while dieting and not afterwards.

I now log everything at the end of the day or the next day, to see how I'm doing. I find that I do okay. It's a big step for me, just eating food when I'm hungry. When I'm down to fifteen or twenty pounds left, I'm going to wait a week between loggings.

That's my advice...because who wants to count calories for life? That's wakkie nunu.
  • Urban_Princess
    Urban_Princess Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    that's great advice and definitely something i will need to learn. Right now i'm finding that when i'm not hungry and have loads of calories left at the end of the day i will fill it up. It wouldn't have hurt if i didn't eat anything but i still did because I had 600 calories left. But now..omg i want to eat..i want to so badly..just a sandwich would be great.
  • ms_margaret
    ms_margaret Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    It's very difficult but when i have been successful at dieting, i had to live through the hunger. It gets better usually after a few weeks. Another thing is that i must exercise at least 300 calories per day at the end of the day. That's my dinner.
  • sabrinacrandall
    sabrinacrandall Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was a terrible hungry day for me. All morning and afternoon I felt hungry, even though I'd eaten my breakfast and lunch. I tried to drink more water, figuring it must be due to thirst in reality, but when I got home I didn't eat anything and just hit my workout, hard. And after that I stopped being hungry the rest of the night. So I guess my suggestion is, if you can, go for a walk or start your workout earlier than planned. (Obviously, this is difficult while at work), and drink a lot of water in the meantime. Chewing gum also helps for a little bit. Or, eat something substantial. I know eating a greek yogurt always makes me feel full.
  • Francl27
    Options
    Yesterday was a terrible hungry day for me. All morning and afternoon I felt hungry, even though I'd eaten my breakfast and lunch. I tried to drink more water, figuring it must be due to thirst in reality, but when I got home I didn't eat anything and just hit my workout, hard. And after that I stopped being hungry the rest of the night. So I guess my suggestion is, if you can, go for a walk or start your workout earlier than planned. (Obviously, this is difficult while at work), and drink a lot of water in the meantime. Chewing gum also helps for a little bit. Or, eat something substantial. I know eating a greek yogurt always makes me feel full.

*snort*

Want to know what real hunger is? I have PMS. It's always awful. For breakfast I had one cup (yes, a full serving) of Greek yogurt with 2/3 of a scoop of protein powder and 1 serving of cereal (the Captain Crunch donut ones, which are usually pretty filling for me). 400 calories, 42g of protein... 20 minutes later I was shaking and needed food NOW. Had a wrap with ham and cheese and an apple and I've finally been satisfied (for the last hour. Who knows how long it will last).

Some days you just can't win. I'm probably looking at another 2500+ calories day, if I manage to stay away from bread and ice cream (which I failed yesterday too).

For what it's worth, a Greek yogurt will not even fill me up on days when I'm not really hungry.
  • Francl27
    Options

*snort*

Want to know what real hunger is? I have PMS. It's always awful. For breakfast I had one cup (yes, a full serving) of Greek yogurt with 2/3 of a scoop of protein powder and 1 serving of cereal (the Captain Crunch donut ones, which are usually pretty filling for me). 400 calories, 42g of protein... 20 minutes later I was shaking and needed food NOW. Had a wrap with ham and cheese and an apple and I've finally been satisfied (for the last hour. Who knows how long it will last).

Some days you just can't win. I'm probably looking at another 2500+ calories day, if I manage to stay away from bread and ice cream (which I failed yesterday too).

For what it's worth, a Greek yogurt will not even fill me up on days when I'm not really hungry.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    Sunday was this day for me. I ate at Red Robin with the bf's family. I had a turkey burger minus the sauce, fruit salad, and stuck to water. This was a good amount of food, and even though it was a responsible, healthy choice, it still took up half of my daily calorie intake.

An hour later, I was hungry again.

Luckily, a concert and a walk kept me from going too crazy right away, but I ended up coming home and eating two cheese sticks, a handful of nuts, and cereal bar. I logged the day 100 calories over maintenance. -_-

Sometimes this just happens - whether your metabolism is just being wonky, you've burned more energy than you think you have, or the hormones are flying. I try to cut myself a little slack and just aim to be better the next day. Even though I logged 100 over maintenance on Sunday, I ate 100 under my normal deficit yesterday. It will average out by the end of the week, and I ate to contentment on Sunday instead of going crazy with hunger.
  • Francl27
    Options
    I apologize for the double post above, forum lag striked again.

Anyway, on hungry days, personally, I've found that what works best is avoiding most simple carbs - bread, sweets etc. You really want to up your fat and protein to get as much satiety as possible (veggies possibly, but they make me bloated, not full). Complex carbs like whole wheat pasta or potatoes seem to help too though.