Tips for running?

Hi, my goal is to run a 5k but I've always avoided running because I feel like everything is jiggling and people will stare.
How do you guys do it? Tips on breathing, pacing, and strides would be great!

Replies

• annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Sylvia1304 wrote: »
    Hi, my goal is to run a 5k but I've always avoided running because I feel like everything is jiggling and people will stare.
    How do you guys do it? Tips on breathing, pacing, and strides would be great!

First thing--don't worry about jiggling or people staring. Just don't. Most people on the street are going about their own business and are only worried about you if you are going to run into them. Most other runners are worried about their pacing. If you're in the gym then everybody is just focusing on getting their workout done. People of all size and shapes use the treadmills.

2nd--Look into some of the couch 2 5k programs, they work you up gradually to running a 5k in small intervals of like run 1 minute walk 5 minutes.

In terms of pace. Start slowly. Like you could walk faster pace.

Also do a search for a thread with the title "So you want to start running".

• ccourcha
    ccourcha Posts: 316 Member
    C25k look it up
  • SwindonJogger
    SwindonJogger Posts: 325 Member
    get fitted for proper running shoes at a dedicated running shop if possible.
  • initialsdeebee
    initialsdeebee Posts: 83 Member
    I'm a fan of thinking of rhythm when running. Gets me in that meditative state. So don't worry too much about speed or distance (yet?) as much as getting your body and mind into a rhythm when you run. Im that goof at the intersections jogging in place while the light is red. This is not so much a heart rate thing for me as it is about rhythm and staying in the run. That's me though and for me it works. Also second forgetting what you look like. It's about you and what makes you feel good. Personally I feel inspired and a bit envious of anyone I see running when I haven't been running myself, regardless of what they look like, I just think I should be doing that too.
  • rebbylicious
    rebbylicious Posts: 621 Member
    I'm a fan of thinking of rhythm when running. Gets me in that meditative state. So don't worry too much about speed or distance (yet?) as much as getting your body and mind into a rhythm when you run. Im that goof at the intersections jogging in place while the light is red. This is not so much a heart rate thing for me as it is about rhythm and staying in the run. That's me though and for me it works. Also second forgetting what you look like. It's about you and what makes you feel good. Personally I feel inspired and a bit envious of anyone I see running when I haven't been running myself, regardless of what they look like, I just think I should be doing that too.

That's how I get through it too.
  • I started c25k yesterday and I think it was actually kind of fun! I liked that it gave me ample walking time during jogs. looking forward to improving. Thanks guys!