First week Low Carb Blues

Options
I seriously need some motivation! This morning is day 5 of low carbing for me and I am crabby, angry, emotional (wanting to cry all the time), and hungry most of the time! Is this what sugar and carb withdrawal is all about? Will I be going through this much longer? I just want to be able to eat without thinking "How many carbs (fiber, fat, protein, etc.) are in this or that?" So far I hate this. HELP

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    You're going to get a lot of varying replies to this. If you're committed to continuing low carb I have a question and a comment:
    Are you eating enough FAT? Over 50% of your calories even.
    Also, feel free to send me a PM, and I'll connect you with a few very smart low carb/high fat dieters who have lots of great advice for doing LCHF right.

Regardless, good luck!
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I just want to be able to eat without thinking "How many carbs (fiber, fat, protein, etc.) are in this or that?" So far I hate this. HELP

You can. Just focus on burning more calories than you eat. The weight will come off and you'll be able enjoy all your favorite foods, just less of them at a time. Once you get a good handle on achieving a calorie deficit, you can start to look at balancing your micros and macros according to your goals.

Remember, you want to make sustainable changes to your diet. Cutting out or severely limiting one particular food may help in the short term, but you might find that you can't keep that up over the long haul.
  • PatsyFitzpatrick
    PatsyFitzpatrick Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Melissa stay the course. I am eating at 50 carbs a day. I am doing a 90 day challenge with just me :) I want to know if abs are truly made in the kitchen or the gym. My DH has type 2 and the Doctor told him to cut the carbs and exercise. He has lost over 80lbs and his abs are great. I have loss 15 lbs following deficit only and exercise. He wins. So He is off all Type 2 meds and is just eating for him under 100 carbs. He is 6ft 5in. You still can eat some carbs you just eat differently. No processed food. Again this is not Atkins or strict Paleo it is just lower carb. Eat real foods. You can add me as a friend I keep my food diary open. I am 5ft 9

Patsy
    Lutz Fl
  • melissarickman2
    melissarickman2 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You're going to get a lot of varying replies to this. If you're committed to continuing low carb I have a question and a comment:
    Are you eating enough FAT? Over 50% of your calories even.
    Also, feel free to send me a PM, and I'll connect you with a few very smart low carb/high fat dieters who have lots of great advice for doing LCHF right.

Regardless, good luck![/quote
    Thank you Sabine I don't think I am getting enough fat. I'll have to check.
  • LizSweetHammond
    LizSweetHammond Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, can I connect with you? I've had a challenging couple months and jumping on low carb to get back on track & get my goals back in sight!
  • summerkissed
    summerkissed Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Be careful girls very very careful!! Low doesn't mean it's good for you! I have done low carb high fat over the last 6 months just to see what the fuss is about!......for me it caused headaches, low energy, fat hold and muscle loss, bad tummy aches, bad moods!.....I've been back on 150gm of carbs a day for 2 weeks my total calorie intake has not changed just my macros....results are 1.4kg weigh loss, energy back, still got headaches but I have a flat tummy again! Most people advocating this way of losing weight are cutting out carbs but not adding the lost calories back resulting in a deficit which equals weight loss! I really do question the benifits of this style of eating! A minimum of 100gm of carbs per day should stand for everyone anything below is dangerous!! And yeah I know a thing or 2 about manipulating the body and weightloss :) also high fat and protein and low carbs usually equates to very low fibre intake which will slow nutrient absobtion, cause tummy issues, and can in the long run cause stomach and bowl cancer! An increase in these cancers is being directly related to the low carb movement :) you know your body listen to it!!
  • summerkissed
    summerkissed Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to bag anyone out I'm just putting some info for thought out there :smiley:
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I don't eat gluten, so that cuts out cakes, cookies, most pasta, bread and so on. I have some other healthier carbs, eat a ton of veggies and count calories. I once tried eliminating pretty much all carbs and had an on going stomach ache and was craving a ton of food. I decided to take a different approach after reading the book "Wheat Belly". My sore knee went away, my stiff joints feel much less stuff, and I have a ton of energy (just by cutting out wheat, not losing weight). Just to put it out there for you.
  • cosmichvoyager
    cosmichvoyager Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Eat a baked sweet potato with a small amount of butter and some cinnamon :) you'll feel better.