Diastasis Recti (Baby belly pooch!)

Options
I was becoming very frustrated with my belly pooch! My kids are 5 & 7, I shouldn't have the pooch anymore, but I couldn't get rid of it. Now I know why...About two-thirds of women who have had babies have it. Having more than one child makes this condition more likely, especially if they’re close in age. You’re also more likely to get it if you’re over 35 when pregnant, or if you’re having a heavy baby or twins, triplets, or more.
Pregnancy puts so much pressure on the belly that sometimes the muscles in front can’t keep their shape. "Diastasis" means separation. "Recti" refers to your ab muscles called the "rectus abdominis." When the ab muscles move aside like this, the uterus, bowels, and other organs have only a thin band of connective tissue in front to hold them in place. Without the needed muscle support, a vaginal delivery could be more difficult.The condition also can cause lower back pain, constipation, and urine leaking. It can even make it harder to breathe and to move normally.
The muscle opening often shrinks after giving birth, but in some studies of women with diastasis recti, the muscle wasn't back to normal even YEARS later.
This simple self-test will help you determine if you have diastasis recti. Lie on your back with your knees bent, and the soles of your feet on the floor. Place one hand behind your head, and the other hand on your abdomen, with your fingertips across your midline-parallel with your waistline- at the level of your belly button. With your abdominal wall relaxed, gently press your fingertips into your abdomen.Roll your upper body off the floor into a "crunch," making sure that your ribcage moves closer to your pelvis. Move your fingertips back and forth across your midline, feeling for the right and left sides of your rectus abdominis muscle. Test for separation at, above, and below your belly button.
I did the test, low and behold, I have diastasis recti. All those crunches and situps I've been doing have actually been making it worse! Some routine fitness moves, including crunches, sit-ups, pushups, press-ups, and front planks, make abdominal separation worse. So can swimming, some yoga poses (like downward dog), and doing anything on your hands and knees.
Here is a link for exercises to do so that you can heal that darn thing! Then you (and me) will be on our way to a flatter tummy. http://getactive.com.my/2012/03/diastasis-recti/

Replies

• mrsghosh
    mrsghosh Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post..I was also in denial but as I lose weight I could see I have a line separating my upper and lower abdomen..can't stop feeling it or noticing it in front of the mirror or otherwise..I have seen some videos on YouTube to better this situation ..thinking to do everyday .. But still I don't have hope if I will ever have a flat tummy ..
  • Jasmunr
    Jasmunr Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I did it and I'm pretty sure I don't have it. I do still have a pouch though from my son being almost 10 pounds. It's more of a loose skin pouch so I'm hoping I'll be able to still lose most of it.

• shortnurse1
    shortnurse1 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Diastasis recti is more of a separation between the left and right abdomen not the upper and lower. But hey, those babies will stretch everything out! I am looking more into it because it might just be if it is separated more than 2cm. Because if you think about it, there is a line there naturally. Look at those with 6 packs, there is always that line indention in the middle...I'll let you know if I find out more!
  • shortnurse1
    Options
    mrsghosh wrote: »
    Thanks for the post..I was also in denial but as I lose weight I could see I have a line separating my upper and lower abdomen..can't stop feeling it or noticing it in front of the mirror or otherwise..I have seen some videos on YouTube to better this situation ..thinking to do everyday .. But still I don't have hope if I will ever have a flat tummy ..
    My pooch seems to be my lower abdomen too, in my pelvis, right above my pubic bone...I have been fighting it, and it doesn't seem to go away. Let me know if you find anything that works!

• MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    There are a number of exercises you can do to strengthen the transverse muscles, which will reduce strain on the recti and will allow your stomach to close back together again. It's probably not too late!!!! Google them--there are several good sources!

I keep posting about this here, and most people go, "What?" or "That's not made worse by the wrong kind of ab exercises! Exercise is good!" *facepalm* Anyway, my diastasis is 99% gone now, and I can actually do crunches again!!! Good luck!
  • shortnurse1
    Options
    After further research, I figured out that I do not have it. The gap in my abdomen is way less that 2.5 finger widths, which is what they say to look for. So now I have no excuse! Kind of relieved though...
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    After further research, I figured out that I do not have it. The gap in my abdomen is way less that 2.5 finger widths, which is what they say to look for. So now I have no excuse! Kind of relieved though...

If you have the pooch, then still do the transverse exercises and pelvic floor exercises to improve core stability. :) If your stomach forms a "shark fin" when you do exercises, you have weak transversr muscles and will have a pooch until they're stronger.

This will do NOTHING for fat above the muscle, though, so if your BMI is fairly low and it's fat/skin above the muscle, you can lose more fat (and the skin may possibly tighten up).