Alright friends, I need some hand holding. Gaining weight

Options
So the general consensus is that I need to eat more calories since I workout so much for work. Well what do you know, I have instantly gained weight. Now I KNOW this is normal, but when I really paid attention and was eating salads for lunch/dinner I got down to 148. I was over 154 this morning! Ahhhhhhhhh! The only time I broke the 150's was when I was burning 1000 calories a day and eating around 1200. This happened forever...eating more didn't make me end up losing. I need some support here. We are going to the beach this weekend and I'm feeling big and bloated.

Replies

• Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    I would suggest tracking your sodium. I noticed you do not have your diary set up to do so. Also, are you drinking enough water? If you feel bloated you are likely retaining water. And, yes, you should be eating more. :)
  • mlemonroe2
    mlemonroe2 Posts: 603
    Options
    Yea.. gotta watch the sodium. I think i turned off the protein one and then turned on the sodium column on my food tracker thing.
    I did the same thing. It's so important to watch your sodium. When I started doing that and drinking more water it really helpped. I know for myself, if I eat over 2,000 calories, even with exercise, I dont' lose. I have my limit at 18,000 and make sure I don't over-do it with my exercise so that I can eat my exercise calories back while not going over 18,000. This is just what works for me, you need to find what works for you. If you are worrid about this weekend, drink TONS of water and eat low sodium foods. Fruits, vegies(only fresh or frozen), pasta, and lean meats that arn't lunch meat. It will happen. Make sure you are eating at least most of your exercise calories back. You don't want to start losing muscle!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'd say it's definitely the sodium. Tuesday's tuna, jalapeno cornbread (OMG that sounds AMAZING!!!) and the soft pretzel with salt and butter... stuff like that will cause you to retain fluid.
  • mlemonroe2
    Options
    Also, I have heard that if you are someone who dosn't eat back exercise calories and then starts to eat them back, you gain at first and then it starts melting off. So just have patience, you will start losing again!
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    You said you felt bloated, that might be the issue, I was bloated the last two days at 156lbs noticed I was feeling back to normal this am, after I weighed myself I was down to 153lb, could definitely just be water weight and bloating. Push the water today and see if you can't flush it out.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I drank a lot more water yesterday also. Do you hold onto that at first if you normally don't drink a ton of it?
  • mlemonroe2
    Options
    I drank a lot more water yesterday also. Do you hold onto that at first if you normally don't drink a ton of it?

I don't know for sure, but I don't think so.
  • rosiesparkle100
    Options
    Also, I have heard that if you are someone who dosn't eat back exercise calories and then starts to eat them back, you gain at first and then it starts melting off. So just have patience, you will start losing again!

This is what it is. Your body is so grateful about finally getting the calories it needs: it is hanging on to them! It will fall off again once it gets used to you eating right. :)
  • NancyPav
    NancyPav Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    and I thought I was the only one having this issue. I'm not sure what the solution is either but suspect it too must have something to do with sodium and water intake levels. It's bound to come off if you are doing everything else right (at least that's what I tell myself). Hang in there.