Strength training calorie intake

Options
lauz322
lauz322 Posts: 26 Member
Hi, I'm looking at starting strength training but one thing I can't find anything on is calorie intake. Weight is totally irelivent as I know I will put weight on training but I do need to lose weight, only a few lb. My question is how many calories do I need when strength training? I eat 1500cal at the moment which is for a 0.5lb loss a week and I don't eat back my calories. I'm 5"2 and weigh 9 stone 3

Any advice would be apreciated.

Replies

• Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Calorie intake will depend on your goals.

If your primary goal is to lose weight then stick to the intake that's working for you now and incorporate a resistance program as part of your training.

And no after the initial adaptation phase where you may see a couple of pounds gain due to water retention (which will go away) you will not put weight on. You should in fact see bigger changes over time, not only on the scale but in the way your clothes fit and your body composition. You will only put on weight if you increase your calories over your TDEE.
  • bkblessed694
    bkblessed694 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but one thing you could investigate further is upping your protein intake. Your new muscles are going to need it.
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Just my opinion, but I would not change anything just yet. You might know better after the first week or two, if you are having trouble with recovery for the next workout or losing too quickly (aim for about .5-1% bodyweight loss per week average), then you could add in some additional daily calories to offset. Hard to judge something beforehand and easier to assess afterwards on this one, in my opinion.
  • lauz322
    Options
    Thanks, I'm eating clean and eating about 120g of protein a day. I did start training at the start of the year but due to an operation I've been off for months. I will give it a few weeks and take a look where I am. Being female I'm not going to build as quickly as guys but want to get off to a good start this time.
  • Ironmaiden4life
    Options
    lauz322 wrote: »
    Being female I'm not going to build as quickly as guys but want to get off to a good start this time.

But you have 6 - 8 weeks of newbie gains to look forward to yeyyyyyyyyy ....... I miss those days :'(:'(:'( lol

• lauz322
    Options
    Unfortunately I doubt it's going to be that easy. I can't squat 10kg at the moment. January I was doing 65kg my leg is very weak from opp. I wish I would gain in that few weeks lol
  • lauz322
    Options
    Will give it a good shot. Although I'm not 100% sure what I'm doing :neutral:
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    1 - 2 months of newbie gains is awesome and because you start seeing things happen pretty quickly .. this is so motivating.

Eat your calories that MFP gave you to loose weight every day and continue with the deficit. During this time, learn exercise form, get stronger, fitter and learn more and more each time you lift. Increase weights as you get stronger and get more advanced.

If you feel you want to bulk later on, after you have lost fat, then that is down the road. Concentrate on loosing the weight and MAINTAINING the muscles you have and even reaping the rewards from newbie gains.

As you get into to this your goals will change and the program you are doing now, will change as well.
  • lauz322
    Options
    Thank you that is very helpful
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Strength training doesn't burn much. After reviewing my data, 4 days of heavy lifting actually fits into my "lightly active" setting on MFP.
  • lauz322
    Options
    Strength training burns fat differently to cardio. I'm not doing strength training to burn calories but to change my body hopefully. Mines always been set to light activity as I sit on my bum 8 hours a day at work lol
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Strength training doesn't burn much. After reviewing my data, 4 days of heavy lifting actually fits into my "lightly active" setting on MFP.

.... wrong. I strength train only 3 primary lifts and eat over 3000 daily, and my metab. is low as *kitten*.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

.... wrong. I strength train only 3 primary lifts and eat over 3000 daily, and my metab. is low as *kitten*.

You're both partially right. The amount you burn is going to be relative to the amount you lift (given same lift, yada, yada). You squat 300+ lbs, you're going to smoke someone like me that's squatting 120 lbs.

OP, you're starting out, and you should be starting out light so you're not going to burn much. I wouldn't eat more to compensate unless you're already at a significant deficit. If you are, add maybe 100 cals per workout.
  • Ironmaiden4life
    Options

Then change your training variables if you want to burn more.
  • Ironmaiden4life
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »

You're both partially right. The amount you burn is going to be relative to the amount you lift (given same lift, yada, yada). You squat 300+ lbs, you're going to smoke someone like me that's squatting 120 lbs.

Not if you're only performing a 300lb squat at 1 - 5 reps with 2 - 3 minutes rest between sets and the dude/dudette is squatting 120lbs at in a hypertrophy or endurance range with a 30 - 60 second rest time.

• Ironmaiden4life
    Options
    lauz322 wrote: »
    Unfortunately I doubt it's going to be that easy. I can't squat 10kg at the moment. January I was doing 65kg my leg is very weak from opp. I wish I would gain in that few weeks lol

You'll get there OP. I know it's frustrating coming off an injury. I've had 4 months off upper body due to a damaged bicep tendon and am only lifting about 60% of my 1RM. Takes time but you'll get there :)
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »

Not if you're only performing a 300lb squat at 1 - 5 reps with 2 - 3 minutes rest between sets and the dude/dudette is squatting 120lbs at in a hypertrophy or endurance range with a 30 - 60 second rest time.

Presume that 'given same lift, yada, yada' from my original post implied same reps, same number of workouts per week, and similar. Perhaps I assume too much when I think that is obvious.
  • lauz322
    Options
    Thanks all its been a big help. Back at it tomorrow.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options

But...You don't know my stats. I'm in maintenance. I have tons of data. I know how much to eat to lose or maintain.