advice

Options
Working on losing weight and when i get done with cardio i lift weights, legs, calfs, biceps, chest, shoulders, back. But there is my stomach and sides that i want to work on more now do you all recommend any midsection (i guess its that) workouts? Thanks in advance for the help.

Replies

• anasvitlii
    anasvitlii Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert, but I think the best workout for abbs is just basic sit up and its variations.
  • ShaneGonzalez91
    ShaneGonzalez91 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thank you
    anasvitlii wrote: »
    I'm not an expert, but I think the best workout for abbs is just basic sit up and its variations.

• Sangsterr
    Sangsterr Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what you mean by improve your stomach, if its to reduce body fat from around the area then you need to focus on diet and full body exercises more. If its to increase strength in this area then you need to be doing sit ups, planks etc.
  • ShaneGonzalez91
    Options
    Thank you
    Sangsterr wrote: »
    It really depends on what you mean by improve your stomach, if its to reduce body fat from around the area then you need to focus on diet and full body exercises more. If its to increase strength in this area then you need to be doing sit ups, planks etc.

• rumijs
    rumijs Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    The best way I've found is through yoga. I go to a martial arts gym and yoga is required (in a sense) for all participants. Especially fighters because it trains control and movement of the core. Which is what your looking for. Start off with simple moves and advance as you feel comfortable
  • Dootzy1
    Dootzy1 Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Someone here will soon say, "Abs are made in the kitchen." I think that's quite true! Also, cardio work helps drop body fat overall, so if you have extra around your middle, consistent cardio is important. Good luck!
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    "The best exercise for getting a six-pack abs is 3 sets of stop eating so damn much!" ~ T-Nation.

You will not lose your love handles and gut by doing any specific exercise. It doesn't work that way. All you can do is continue to maintain a calorie deficit and lose weight the slow and healthy way. You can continue to do your exercises to help with the calorie deficit, but doing more exercise won't necessarily help more because you should have a set number of lbs you should be trying to lose every week (0.05% of you body weight is a good goal).

You cannot control where the fat will disappear from. That comes down to genetics. Your body will decide where you'll get skinnier when and there's nothing you can do to change that. The only way you can control it is through surgery. In the long-run, that doesn't solve anything.
  • d08t
    d08t Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Eat a balanced diet and try to put on muscle. Several studies have shown that performing cardio after weight training is more effective, so maybe switch that up. I'd recommend a 10 min warm up, lift, then more cardio. Make sure not to over-train as well. Just keep going and you'll get there.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    d08t wrote: »
    Eat a balanced diet and try to put on muscle. Several studies have shown that performing cardio after weight training is more effective, so maybe switch that up. I'd recommend a 10 min warm up, lift, then more cardio. Make sure not to over-train as well. Just keep going and you'll get there.

Could you please cite these studies, because I've read numerous articles claiming that studies show that you should not do cardio and strength training at the same time.

I've also read articles claiming that studies say you should do cardio before strength training.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    You should be working on your core to help stabilize you for other workouts... you really just need to do moderate to intense cardio for fat loss... then once your fat layer is gone, you will have strong core muscles. And no, not just sit ups and their variants are good enough. You should be working obliques and hitting your abs at different angles since there are many components to your core. Try bicycle crunches, side bends with weights (I started with a 25 plate in one hand or you can use a free weight), crunches on an exercise ball, weighted crunches on a machine, leg raises, etc.
  • ShaneGonzalez91
    Options
    Thanks that's what I've been focusing on over the past few months
    Dootzy1 wrote: »
    Someone here will soon say, "Abs are made in the kitchen." I think that's quite true! Also, cardio work helps drop body fat overall, so if you have extra around your middle, consistent cardio is important. Good luck!

• ercarroll311
    ercarroll311 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    In my experience, it was definitely more about calorie deficit than anything. But once you lose the weight around there, and even before, definitely do some core work to get stronger and have the tighter look you're probably going for once that weight is gone.

Best of luck!
  • Joshj0794
    Joshj0794 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I watch Elliot Hulse on YouTube but for me I do leg lifts(both legs) and crunches. Just try to beat your "breaking point number".
  • d08t
    d08t Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    d08t wrote: »

Could you please cite these studies, because I've read numerous articles claiming that studies show that you should not do cardio and strength training at the same time.

I've also read articles claiming that studies say you should do cardio before strength training.

It depends on your goal. If you want to build muscle and lose fat, do it after lifting. I don't know of any men that don't want to build muscle and lose fat.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ask-the-ripped-dude-cardio-before-or-after-weights.html

A University of Tokyo Study published in Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise found that doing cardio after weight training burned more fat during the first 15 minutes of the cardio session than doing cardio before lifting. Don't believe me? Try it for yourself! Spend one day lifting before your cardio and another on the treadmill before you hit the weights.

http://www.isatori.com/94-Expert-Trainer.aspx

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/06/cardio-or-weights-first-exercise-order_n_1739089.html