Runners, what do you do for a warm up, cool down, and stretching?

Options
7lenny7
7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
I'm a new runner, starting less than 2 months ago, and I'm still learning a lot about it. One thing I'm curious about his what you do for your warm up, cool down, and stretching? I realize that it will vary depending on what type of run you're doing...easy run, tempo run, 5k race, marathon, etc.

So tell me what you do for warming up, cool down and/or stretching. Feel free to categorize as you see fit.

If I'm going on an easy run or long run, my warm up and cool down is a brisk walk for half a mile, with no stretching.
For a tempo run I start with a brisk walk of .5 mile, then a 0.5 very slow run. Cool down is a walk, with no stretching.
The only race I've done is a 5K and that was a warm up of a walk, slow run, then some dynamic stretching such as lunges, gates, and high knees.

Replies

• gdyment
    gdyment Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    5-10 mins easy running at start, 5-10 mins easy running at the end. Always, even before a race (other than full marathon). Never stretch a cold muscle, and stretching at the end is still up for debate. I'd rather get another 1-2km instead.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    I walk for about three minutes then run whatever length I'm running (usually around 4miles). when I've completed my miles I walk again for about three minutes.
    then a stretch doing quad stretches, ham stretches, glute stretches, calf stretches, back and shoulder stretches, hip flexor stretch, etc. i foam roll rarely but it feels really good whenever I do. i heard this is good for you to release muscles and built up lactose (or whatever its called).
    Good luck! I fell in love with running last year and haven't looked back...
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Walk for warm up and walk for cool down. Before a race I will run a mile or so at a very relaxed pace with a few pickups. For stretching I do nothing.

Also, for training runs I ease into whatever pace the run is supposed to be. So, the first 10 to 20 min are always relaxed.
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I walk about 1/8 mile both pre and post run. After pre walk I start running easy as I slowly get up to the pace I am looking for (within the first 3/4 - 1 mile usually). No stretching to speak of unless something is feeling out of sorts; never stretch when my muscles are cold. With chronic tendonitis in my left ankle I will stop mid run to stretch it whenever it acts up (either that or fall on my face :)
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I walk or run easy for warm up.
    I walk for cool down.
    I don't stretch. It doesn't do anything.
  • dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    I do slow jog, then run, and depending on the length and quality of your "long" run (i.e hills and speed play or tightness), I stretch for about 5 minutes afterwards.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    gdyment wrote: »
    5-10 mins easy running at start, 5-10 mins easy running at the end. Always, even before a race (other than full marathon). Never stretch a cold muscle, and stretching at the end is still up for debate. I'd rather get another 1-2km instead.

Same here. I don not stretch after a run, but I do yoga and foam rolling periodically throughout the week to keep my muscles limber.

• dechelonian
    dechelonian Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I walk 5-10 mins before and after. After this I usually do some basic stretching, especially after a long run. I find that if I don't stretch at least a wee bit, my legs more sore/stiff the day after compared to when I stretch a few mins.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Just walking before and after (2 to 3 minutes each). After, sometimes, I'll do static stretching. Usually focusing on hip flexors and hamstrings. During bad weather, when I'm on a treadmill, I may get out the foam roller.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    I just keep active after, no stretching or anything in particular. As for before the only type of stretching I ever do is some light dynamic stretching. Basically swinging my legs forward/back, and side to side to loosen them up a bit. That is truly all though.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Brisk walk or short jog before running, cool down walk, and just some easy stretches focusing on my quads and hamstrings. Nothing out of the ordinary, I think.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Before a training run:
    5 mins of dynamic stretching

After a training run:
    10 mins of static stretching - per my PT who said yes do them every single time you run
    10-15 min walk with dog

Before a race:
    Slow easy 5 min or so warm up job
    Couple mins of dynamic stretching

After a race:
    Try to breathe
    followed by 5 mins of static stretching
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    gdyment wrote: »

This. ^^

As a former gymnast I still stretch but not specifically for running and never before a run. After a run I will sometimes stretch but only because I'm all warmed up and that's the best time to do it not because it has anything to do with running. Dynamic stretches, such as walking to get ready for a run, are much better than sitting on the floor putting your head to your knee.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Bit of dynamic stretching beforehand - leg swings, hip circles etc. Then I walk for a few minutes, swapping between getting my knees high and then the opposite, almost kicking my bum with my heels. Then I do my run. At the end I walk for a few minutes rather than abruptly stopping, and finishing with stretching. I started doing all that after an injury to prevent soreness during and after the run, and as I haven't had any pain or tension in my hip since I introduced that, I just keep doing it.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    thank you everyone for your contribution to this thread. Based on what I'm hearing it sounds like I am headed in the right direction.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I do light stretching then walk 5-10 minutes even if coach's workout has a warm-up in it (which means easy jog), and after, if coach's workout has cool-down, I jog, and then I walk another 5-10 minutes and sometimes stretch.
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Pre run, wander around the parking lot for about 2 minutes before my GPS watch figures out where I am, occasionally doing light motion stretches (trunk turns, lunge stretches).

Post run, I usually just plan my distance to end about 1/4 mile from home, and walk for 5 min back. Then I'll do about 3-5 minutes of leg stretching (quads, calves, ankles, IT/side) as I cool down before showering. If I'm doing a longer run (12+ miles) the cool down stretch goes for about 5-10 min.