Anyone weaning off of brain medications (anti-depressants, mood stabilizers, etc.)?

Options
battlestarlet
battlestarlet Posts: 17 Member
edited June 2015 in Getting Started
Hi there, I'm trying to wean off of all of my brain medications and I'm using exercise to make the transition easier. Anyone in the same boat? How's it going? Feel free to friend for mutual encouragement!

Replies

• breathebelievejen
    breathebelievejen Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to wean myself off my mood stabilisers but I do use diet and exercise as a way to help me cope with my mental health problems. I applaud your efforts, good luck and all the best :)
  • battlestarlet
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Good luck to you as well! I would prefer to stay on mine, but I'm considering (maybe??) trying to get pregnant. (OMG. hahha!) Doc says it's best to try and get off of everything. So far it's been rocky. I find good music during my workout really helps. Music therapy I guess! :)
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Heartisalonelyhunter Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I came off mine cold turkey and got pregnant 2 weeks later
  • mrzig999
    mrzig999 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    First ... I spoke to my shrink and explained my desire to wean off my 40mg citalapram hydrobromide first by half, then completely. He concurred with the suggestion/warning that I closely monitor myself for the obvious potential "dark" spots. I stopped altogether about 2 weeks ago. The keto-diet is what I attribute the steady and positive mood. Also incorporating exercise at a gradual pace has helped me stay rather up-beat. Maybe there is something to this "healthy living is good for you" myth. I thought it best to keep doc in the loop, and make positive changes. To say "so far so good" might be a bit of an understatement. Good luck to you, and best wishes.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i wish I could relate. I've never had an issue coming off of one. but taper as the dr suggests. eat well, get enough sleep, don't stress, and use the exercise for release of emotions
    most importantly, to me, work on positive self speak
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I did several years ago. I slowly tapered off Celexa and Xanax and now exercise is my main form of stress/anxiety release. The brain zaps coming off the anti-depressant was pretty weird.

I had a slump about two years after I got off them where I thought I might need an antidepressant again, but it just made me feel numb. I'd rather feel ups and downs than a steady dullness. But when I did need them, they worked wonders. It's only when I don't need them that they make me a zombie.
  • deasphodel
    deasphodel Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm still pretty new to my tablets, and it isn't quite the right mix yet I don't think, and I've started recently to try and keep diet and excersize right. I'm pretty much in the same boat of just hoping it will help.
  • VioletHaz
    VioletHaz Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I am off meds now but I got off of them a few years back.
    I let my doc know my intentions to get off of meds. She wasn't thrilled about it but she went along with it to test a theory of mine. My theory that my original depression was caused by the onset of hypothyroidism, then taking the anti-depressants caused me to behave bi-polar which led to increasing meds and increased hospitalizations. Getting worse on more meds was backwards to me so I thought to start from scratch. Thyroid levels were level on synthroid so that wouldn't be an issue.

I did the weaning but I was not exercising at the time. I just had no time or energy for it. The first few months were the worst with the "brain zaps' (as also mentioned by Timorous), body aches, and little black holes of depression that felt worse than ever. I pushed through with the help of my future husband and my therapist. Then I started feeling more in control even on bad days. I knew the bad days end and good ones are always around the corner. I kid you not that it felt bad for at least 6 months and not completely better for almost 12.

I gave myself plenty of time to get the meds out of my system before trying to have a baby. It was after the 12 month mark. I just believed that the meds sit in your cells for a long time and I didn't want a pregnancy possibly affected by it as I was over 35.

With exercise added I bet it would have helped with the detox better. Stay hydrated, move lots, and Good luck!
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options

While this may have worked for you, this is probably best used as an example of "what not to do"...

• battlestarlet
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    i wish I could relate. I've never had an issue coming off of one. but taper as the dr suggests. eat well, get enough sleep, don't stress, and use the exercise for release of emotions
    most importantly, to me, work on positive self speak

Positive self speak. Yes yes yes. Never say anything about yourself that you wouldn't say to your best friend or to your child.
  • battlestarlet
    Options
    I did several years ago. I slowly tapered off Celexa and Xanax and now exercise is my main form of stress/anxiety release. The brain zaps coming off the anti-depressant was pretty weird.

I had a slump about two years after I got off them where I thought I might need an antidepressant again, but it just made me feel numb. I'd rather feel ups and downs than a steady dullness. But when I did need them, they worked wonders. It's only when I don't need them that they make me a zombie.

The brain zaps are so so weird. I also feel a little drunk? Like, I'll turn my head to the left or right quickly and it seems to take my eyesight a little longer to catch up.
  • battlestarlet
    Options
    VioletHaz wrote: »

I did the weaning but I was not exercising at the time. I just had no time or energy for it.

Yeah, I don't feel like exercising most of the time, but I'm trying to make it non-optional. I'm treating 30-minutes of movement a day as a required medication in itself. But it's hard.

Congrats on your success.
  • battlestarlet
    Options
    mitch16 wrote: »

While this may have worked for you, this is probably best used as an example of "what not to do"...

Yeah, cold turkey is not for me. A while back there was a glitch with my pharmacy and I could not get my medications over a 3-day holiday weekend, it was actually 5 days in total. Never ever want to go through that again. I'm weaning off gradually.
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    How long have you been on them? I have been on antidepressants (ssni) for 12 years and three pregnancies/breastfeeding.
  • battlestarlet
    Options
    bbontheb wrote: »
    How long have you been on them? I have been on antidepressants (ssni) for 12 years and three pregnancies/breastfeeding.

My medications are mostly mood stabilizers rather than antidepressants. I've been on them for ... jeez... maybe only 4 years. It took a long time to find the right mix. My doctor mentioned that an SSRI may be ok for pregnancy, but unfortunately those aren't really what I need. (Congrats on three pregnancies!)

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you as well! I would prefer to stay on mine, but I'm considering (maybe??) trying to get pregnant. (OMG. hahha!) Doc says it's best to try and get off of everything. So far it's been rocky. I find good music during my workout really helps. Music therapy I guess! :)

Are you stopping your medication under the supervision of a mental health professional, preferably a real psychiatrist? They are trained in the use of psychiatric medication and can supervise the transition and respond to issues that come up. It is dangerous to do this on your own.
  • battlestarlet
    Options
    Are you stopping your medication under the supervision of a mental health professional, preferably a real psychiatrist? They are trained in the use of psychiatric medication and can supervise the transition and respond to issues that come up. It is dangerous to do this on your own.

Yep, I have a great psychiatrist and a good family doctor. We're doing the weaning nice and slow. :)

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options

Yep, I have a great psychiatrist and a good family doctor. We're doing the weaning nice and slow. :)

That's good to know. My BF is a psychiatrist and generally freaks out when he hears of people just on their own going off their meds.
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    I have weaned off of several different depression medications. It is critical to do so under your doctor's supervision. I suffered nausea, brain zaps (really weird), dizziness and just feeling strange for quite a while. I weaned very slowly over several weeks time. Unfortunately (or fortunately) I find that I need a low dose to keep the depression at bay (20mg Celexa). Also take 25mg Elavil for chronic headaches. Incorporating healthy eating and exercise into your daily mental health routine is a positive step. Good luck!
  • d08t
    d08t Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I've been there too many times to count and it sucks. Talk with your doctor about 5-htp. It's literally changed my life. Stay with the exercise and find ways to be motivated.