Is running enough?

Options
I am in my third week of the couch to 5k running program and logging into MyFitPal. My goal is to lose 10lbs. I'm 4months pp and am looking to drop that last of the baby weight.

Is running 3 days a week for 5k enough? I'm trying to take this slow but am anxious!!!

Replies

• beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    hmmm... enough for what? for health/cardiovascular benefits, IMO, yes.
    For weight loss, IMO, no.
    For weight loss you have to be at a caloric deficit. When I do C25K I burn about 275-325 calories, per my HRM.

This morning for me was about 275, which is basically the equivalent of a can of tuna in olive oil.

The point is that it is much, much easier to attain a caloric deficit by measuring what you eat, logging it and staying within the MFP allotted calories; than to try to burn off the calories by running.

Don't get me wrong, I love C25K. I am doing it. But *I* would get zero weight-related results if I wasn't watching my intake.

Take a look at this for reference:
    How to Burn Off the Calories of Your Favorite Foods
    http://www.youbeauty.com/nutrition-galleries/burn-off-your-meal/

This is just a guide and it is probably not 100% accurate, but it kind of put things in perspective.

As they say, eat for weight loss & exercise for its health benefits.

P.S: Congratulations on your baby :)

• shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Combine it with some strength training, and eat at a deficit, and you'll see better results in weight loss.
  • shrinkingletters
    Options
    For the record: I'm doing all three. Strength, C25K, and eating a deficit. The weight has been coming off steadily.
  • demoiselle2014
    demoiselle2014 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Running is good for you and a good way to burn calories. It probably has to be done in conjunction with watching your diet if you want to lose weight.

Also, it is my understanding that so as not to get injured) it is best to complement running with some strength training and stretching.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    running is irrelevant. you need to eat a calorie deficit. how you do that is up to you :)
  • demoiselle2014
    demoiselle2014 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Exercise isn't irrelevant. It is helpful. It's just not the whole picture.
  • FabianRodriguez94
    FabianRodriguez94 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    What I did when I was completing C25K was do the three days of running, 3 days of lifting, and one rest day. All of this while at a deficit. Lost about 15 lbs by the end of the program. Good luck!
  • SaraD586
    SaraD586 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey I could have written this post myself! I'm doing the o-5k and my baby is 13 weeks old. I tend to x train and do a bit of strength work too once a week to improve my progress with the running - I'm on week 4 and although it doesn't burn millions of calories a session yet that will increase as the weeks go by so personally I think it's a really good way to complement using MFP
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    When I first started I did ct5k Monday, Wednesday and Friday and I did a beginners strength training programme twice a week. At the time I attended slimming world but knowing what I know now I would obviously just recommend a calorie deficit. With only 10lb to loose I'd go for just 0.5lb a week and take it nice and slow. Once you've completed ct5k and are regularly running 5k you'll probably find the weigh comes off nice and steady providing your diet is tight. Good luck!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Exercise isn't irrelevant. It is helpful. It's just not the whole picture.

in losing weight, one needs to operate on a calorie deficit. how one wants to get there is irrelevant. one does not even need to exercise to lose weight.

for health, or other such concerns, then it becomes more relevant

as for the 5k training. I think it depends on your abilities
    if you feel you are succeeding at meeting the goals, then it is enough. if you are not, you may need to add a day
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Wasn't the question "Is running 3 days a week for 5k enough?" If that is what you're asking, absolutely. You can very effectively train for a 5K running only 3 days a week.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    losing weight is about diet, not what exercise you're doing. Exercise has numerous health benefits and also has the added bonus of increasing your body's energy (calorie) requirements thus making it easier to sustain a reasonable energy deficit because you are enabled to eat more and achieve the same goals.

I primarily cycle and lift...I've lost weight, maintained weight, and gained weight without changing my exercise one bit...the difference between those three weight control objectives was my consumption, not what exercise I was doing.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    If the question is "Is running 3 days a week enough to train for a 5K?" the answer is "yes". You shouldn't be running more often than that as your body gets used to the activity. Running places strain on your joints that your body needs to get accustomed to. The rest days help you recover. If you feel like you want to do something else on the days between make sure it's something low impact. Strength training is a great complement to running.

If the question is "Is running 3 days a week doing C25K enough to lose 10 pounds?" the answer is "no". Eating less than you burn is needed to lose pounds, exercise is for fitness. See all of the reasons above. :smile:
  • Fitacular
    Fitacular Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    To clarify, yes I'm looking to lose the weight I added as well as train for a 5k in the fall and make it a habit.

It sounds like adding some kind of strength training is necessary if for nothing else, to help me stay strong for running.

Calorie Deficit

So the good news is that I eat roughly 900-1,100 calories a day and have been tracking EVERYTHING in my fitpal to get to my ideal weight. I eat a plant-based diet with eggs and cheese sparingly.

My current weight is 160lb. I'm trying to get back to 145-150lb. MyfitPal suggested 1,100 calories a day. Does this sound right?
  • shrinkingletters
    Options
    Fitacular wrote: »
    To clarify, yes I'm looking to lose the weight I added as well as train for a 5k in the fall and make it a habit.

It sounds like adding some kind of strength training is necessary if for nothing else, to help me stay strong for running.

Calorie Deficit

So the good news is that I eat roughly 900-1,100 calories a day and have been tracking EVERYTHING in my fitpal to get to my ideal weight. I eat a plant-based diet with eggs and cheese sparingly.

My current weight is 160lb. I'm trying to get back to 145-150lb. MyfitPal suggested 1,100 calories a day. Does this sound right?

Bring your settings down to losing .5-1lb a week instead of two. 1100 is very low, it's not recommended to go lower than 1200 cals a day. You'll have more energy and you'll be less likely to fail your calorie allottment due to being so restrictive.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Fitacular wrote: »

Calorie Deficit

Bring your settings down to losing .5-1lb a week instead of two. 1100 is very low, it's not recommended to go lower than 1200 cals a day. You'll have more energy and you'll be less likely to fail your calorie allottment due to being so restrictive.

Agreed. You're eating too little unless you're really tiny and/or have been tested with a really low metabolism. Chronic undereating will cause excessive muscle loss along with the fat. One of the benefits of strength training is that it will help you to retain more lean muscle but if you're not eating enough you won't get that benefit.
  • Fitacular
    Fitacular Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm not tiny. I'm 5ft 8in with a pear shape. I'll try and add in more calories. I know it doesn't take much.